Damage reduction Item/Spell Idea

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 13th January 2013, 15:13

Damage reduction Item/Spell Idea

Could you guys add either an evocable, spell, or scroll that reduces all damage dealt and taken by like 15%?

So for example my own damage would hit 15% less but also damage dealt to me would be 15% less. It would be a situational item that's good for when you ninja or face an enemy who has some random spell that hits REALLY high.

If not it's fine too... just thought it might be a nice addition to the game.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 13th January 2013, 15:35

Re: Item/Spell Idea

Mm..I don't really see the point. In crawl there are many sources of things that make you resistant to particular types of damage, having one that works for ALL sources of damage would make them a lot less useful (potion of resistance already works for many of them anyway). The -15% damage the player does mean it will only be used for escaping too.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 13th January 2013, 21:19

Having something like this would be overpowered I think. People would use it to escape combat where certain death is considerably likely; but there would also be the fact that if you reduced 15% damage from Torment then Tier 1 Demons, Greater Mummy's, and other things that Torment would become a whole lot scary. You could also use it to rapidly reduce damage from the likes of Crystal Spear or Iron Shot if you want more time to react. I can't say I think this would be a good thing regardless of what limits are put on it.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 13th January 2013, 21:36

Make it something like auto-cursing CPM and people won't be swapping that on/off in mid-combat anytime soon.

Despite that, unsure if it's a good idea or not.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 13th January 2013, 21:41

How is this 15% reduction rationalized? Is there any flavor to the mechanic other than the manipulation of the underlying numbers? 'Some kind of item' doesn't really capture my imagination much.

Also, are we talking about a constant 15% hacked off of the damage, like the effect of rN+++ on Torment damage? Or are we talking about more of a stochastic 15%, where you get a chance to get damage reduced by a whole lot but also a chance that your protection doesn't do anything? These would be very different proposals.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 14th January 2013, 01:07

Re: Damage reduction Item/Spell Idea

Mod note: please set your thread title to be more descriptive than "Item/Spell Idea". I've changed this one.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 14th January 2013, 01:49

KoboldLord wrote:How is this 15% reduction rationalized? Is there any flavor to the mechanic other than the manipulation of the underlying numbers? 'Some kind of item' doesn't really capture my imagination much.

new item class:

Weird Stuff You Found
b - some kind of metal shape
h - item with a bump on it
x - thing stuck to another thing
A - it's like a hat but not really?

For this message the author nicolae has received thanks: 4
Grimm, Lasty, rebthor, Tiber

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 14th January 2013, 18:28

There should be a Xom vault with items described like that.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

For this message the author TwilightPhoenix has received thanks: 2
Tiber, XuaXua

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 14th January 2013, 18:48

This can be a good idea (something rare in GDD) for a fixed artifact. Probably, an artifact related to Elyvilon.

For this message the author CommanderC has received thanks: 2
Tiber, XuaXua

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 15th January 2013, 20:38

CommanderC wrote:This can be a good idea (something rare in GDD) for a fixed artifact. Probably, an artifact related to Elyvilon.

A cloak, maybe? The Shroud of Saint Whoever, a renowned priest of Elyvilon, etc. etc.

Return to Game Design Discussion