Reactions to Trunk

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 13th January 2013, 06:50

Reactions to Trunk

So I don't follow development too carefull; not usually. I don't actually generally play the nonstable releases of this game. That said, I've been hanging on the Crawl S-Z server for a while, and been dabbling lately. It occurs to me if I give no feedback then my criticism(s) and compliments will never get heard. So that's what this topic is for.

Also, I am going to avoid posting 'mechanics' stuff here and rather focus on other complaints/compliments I feel wont come up otherwise.

For starters, HOLY CRAP you've got some amazing new vaults in here! Loved the new '2-part' Lair:8 end. Mini-forest on one side, mini 'bear-chamber' on the other. Quite nice. Vaults:2 had htis really cool "grid" layout. Labyrinth in one of them, with this 3-square wide hallway in a '+' shape down hte middle chock-full of enemies. FANTASTIC! Brilliant, BRILLIANTLY designed and quite entertaining.

Aesthetically. . . meh; tomatoe tomaato. I think overall I'm not a fan of a LOT of the new tiles. Mostly it's just adjustment and I'll get over it - so no harm no foul. But there are a few specific things I dislike:
Black Mamba, Water Moccasin, and Viper all used ot be very similar looking, just progressively more 'dangerous' looking colors. Similarly ball python and the other snake were fairly 'light' looking. Their new sprites all look far harder to 'risk-stratify'. Black Mamba looks deceptively light/small. More like a worm than a scary snake. It doesn't look snakelike at all, actually. I'd very much like to see this improved.

I did not care for the sewer's new look. The water inside feels. . . just wrong somehow. Can't put a finger on it.

That's it for now, I'll keep editing/adding to this as stuff comes up. Also feel free to post your own feelings here as well.

-AHMAD

-AHMAD
My Wins (>25):
15-runer: OPWz, DECj, DEWz x2, VpWz
Other: DEWz, DrWz, DjWz, GnIE, KeCj, SpEn, SpWz, SpCj, MuWz, FeWzx2, MiBe x7.

Crawl Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/BountyHunterSAx2
or vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/BountyHunterSAx <--

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 13th January 2013, 10:24

Re: Reactions to Trunk

the new '2-part' Lair:8 end. Mini-forest on one side, mini 'bear-chamber' on the other.

Don't think this is new

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 13th January 2013, 13:19

It isn't.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 13th January 2013, 16:18

Can we keep GDD threads specific, please? The old "generic questions/feedback" threads were closed and I'd rather not have new ones started up.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 13th January 2013, 16:24

Sure, no problem. What forum would this be better suited for? Or are you suggesting I make a seperate thread for every recommendation, accolade, or criticism I have? Or are you recommending I just STFU; cuz I can do that too :P

-AHMAD

PS: Magical Suppression field encountered, if this is what I think it is - and it is - then this is a brilliant idea for a few special custom vaults and areas :). And on the moth it's even more impressive. Definitely cooler to work with/around than the silent spectre.
My Wins (>25):
15-runer: OPWz, DECj, DEWz x2, VpWz
Other: DEWz, DrWz, DjWz, GnIE, KeCj, SpEn, SpWz, SpCj, MuWz, FeWzx2, MiBe x7.

Crawl Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/BountyHunterSAx2
or vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/BountyHunterSAx <--

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 13th January 2013, 18:10

BountyHunterSAx wrote:Sure, no problem. What forum would this be better suited for? Or are you suggesting I make a seperate thread for every recommendation, accolade, or criticism I have? Or are you recommending I just STFU; cuz I can do that too :P

This is the right forum, but we'd rather have a thread created for each topic of discussion. Generic threads tend to invite people to post before thinking which results in nothing but stupid post and boring discussions leading nowhere.
locked.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Return to Game Design Discussion