Why aren't books identified?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 10th January 2013, 17:08

Why aren't books identified?

My apologies if this discussion has happened before, but:

What is the rationale for spellbooks all being unique, i.e., unlike wands, where once you know what one type looks like, you instantly recognize all others of that type, but with spellbooks, every new book is unknown until you pick it up and read it.

I only ask because it becomes somewhat of a chore looking at books and then dropping them. It would be nice to not auto-pickup books that I've already got in my library.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 10th January 2013, 17:12

Re: Why aren't books identified?

It has. There seemed to be consensus that books should auto-id once you've found one, but it never went anywhere.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 10th January 2013, 17:20

The point, I believe, is that books are typical loot (prize in a vault) and we don't want to give away that before actually getting there. Compare to how you don't know the enchantment and ego of mundane armour and weapons. A pure interface fix would be to identify books (new or not) when stepping on them.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 10th January 2013, 17:54

That's not a compelling argument for why books should be treated differently from potions, wands or scrolls. Those are also typical loot, and are identified on sight.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 10th January 2013, 18:49

Don't judge a book by its cover?

In all seriousness, there isn't a one-to-one mapping between the un-ID'd description of books and their identities, the way there is with potions / scrolls / wands / jewelry. Once you find a hardcover book of Ice, that doesn't mean that all hardcover books are Ice. If there were a one-to-one mapping, then there would be justification for auto-ID.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 10th January 2013, 19:31

... which is a good argument for there to be a mapping.

In all honesty I think this is just one of those things that the devs haven't gotten around to.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 10th January 2013, 21:20

snow wrote:In all honesty I think this is just one of those things that the devs haven't gotten around to.

Actually, I don't think there's consensus on that. I'm pretty sure elliptic was against it last time it was brought up. A books is usually a very tempting loot, if you can see on sight that it's a duplicate, you wouldn't bother taking risks or spending resource trying to get it.
Books are much more comparable to weapons than to scrolls/potions/wands.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 10th January 2013, 23:06

dpeg wrote:The point, I believe, is that books are typical loot (prize in a vault) and we don't want to give away that before actually getting there. Compare to how you don't know the enchantment and ego of mundane armour and weapons. A pure interface fix would be to identify books (new or not) when stepping on them.

Totally agree on this.

It keeps the whole "tempting loot" thing and gets rid of the inconvenient "pick up and use just to realize you already have it" thing

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 11th January 2013, 03:24

galehar wrote:I'm pretty sure elliptic was against it last time it was brought up.

IIRC elliptic was okay with identifying books when you step on them the last time I brought it up. Identifying books on sight may not be a good idea, and a lot of people are against it. But identifying books when you step on them is not controversial as far as I know.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 11th January 2013, 09:14

Galefury wrote:But identifying books when you step on them is not controversial as far as I know.

Indeed. It's a small interface improvement and the balance change is negligible. I agree to it too. But that's not what snow was talking about.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 11th January 2013, 17:40

What about Ash identifying books on sight, providing piety and curses are all at the right levels?

Assuming he doesn't already, I've not played with him in a few versions.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Return to Game Design Discussion