Is this a bug: food auto-pickup toggling

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 10th January 2013, 15:46

Is this a bug: food auto-pickup toggling

Playing a KoBe, I was having no trouble staying fed so I decided to turn off autopickup of non-perishables using that brilliant new feature on the known items screen.

But then I wanted it back on, and suddenly I was picking up bread rations and other inedible food as well. So now I have to just keep it off or I'll get endless clutter of apples and chokos.

I hate going to the dev wiki, can someone advise if this is a known bug?

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 10th January 2013, 15:51

Re: Is this a bug: food auto-pickup toggling

It's not a bug. The autopickup menu has a 3-way toggle: default, off, and on. You first set food pickup from default to off (pick up no food), then from off to on (pick up all food). Set it back to default to get the default behavior (pick up food, except useless food).

For this message the author Galefury has received thanks: 2
BlackSheep, rebthor

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 10th January 2013, 16:28

In my version (trunk from sometime in the last few weeks) it's just a two-way toggle between off and on. When I hit _ for help I saw that Ctrl-D can be used to restore to default, but there's no visual indicator to know if the + by non-perishables now means "all" or "default for your race".

I wonder when you would ever want to auto-pickup useless food anyway?

For this message the author danr has received thanks:
rebthor

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 10th January 2013, 16:39

Oh, so that's how it works. Maybe it worked as a 3-way toggle at some point, or maybe I just remembered wrong.

Actually there is a slight visual indication for changed settings, the text color is brighter for non-default items.

Picking up useless things can make sense, because they may not be permanently useless. Potions and food in lich form are one example (you probably don't want to pick these up in lich form, but there are cases where it might be useful).

Return to Game Design Discussion