thick mist

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 17th December 2012, 14:03

thick mist

I was recently working on a fedhas altar vault in which vision is obscured by thick mist, except for a small problem: there is no thick mist. Thin mist and rain clouds don't obscure vision (and rain cloud cause deep water really quickly); smoke blocks vision but doesn't work for a Fedhas flavor; gloom seems to behave oddly; steam damages things as well as blocking vision.

Can we add a "thick mist" or "fog" cloud type which behaves like thin mist but also blocks vision? I would imagine it's a relatively small change to implement, and it would add another tool for vault-makers.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 17th December 2012, 22:32

Re: thick mist

I remember being highly amused by a dictionary owned by a friend at school. The definition for fog was "thick mist". The definition for mist? "Thin fog".

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 17th December 2012, 23:26

I think if Thick Mist was added, it should have something to make it different from Smoke - else your stuck with Smoke I think.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 18th December 2012, 04:44

mumra wrote:I remember being highly amused by a dictionary owned by a friend at school. The definition for fog was "thick mist". The definition for mist? "Thin fog".

The real difference is that in a mist you still see more than a kilometer, in a fog you have a visibility of less than a kilometer. And some sources also define haze as have more than 2 Km of visibility (although this one is not only caused by water).

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 18th December 2012, 13:20

varsovie wrote:
mumra wrote:I remember being highly amused by a dictionary owned by a friend at school. The definition for fog was "thick mist". The definition for mist? "Thin fog".

The real difference is that in a mist you still see more than a kilometer, in a fog you have a visibility of less than a kilometer. And some sources also define haze as have more than 2 Km of visibility (although this one is not only caused by water).

The joke was that the definition was a circular reference with no actual explanation of what mist/fog even were. Still, interesting to know the official version.

For this message the author mumra has received thanks:
pratamawirya

Return to Game Design Discussion