Minor propsal: Different colorations for non-fixedart items.

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 24th December 2012, 02:37

Minor propsal: Different colorations for non-fixedart items.

So as I play more and more Crawl, the more I realize how I wish there were more armor colors. I was thinking for non-fixedarts, the items can have different colors. For instance, one piece of scale mail can be silver and the other piece can be black. Or you could find a red or orange one. Same thing with weapons. Each different weapon could have a different color. I feel like this would add more randomization feel, that you're actually picking up more pieces of armor.

Thanks!

Barkeep

Post Monday, 24th December 2012, 03:28

Re: Minor propsal: Different colorations for non-fixedart it

I kinda like that the unusual colors of randarts and uncommon item types stand out. "Wait, what is that? Oh a demon whip!"
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 24th December 2012, 05:20

I suppose I should explain further.

All robes can have different colors and models. I'm thinking all armor and weapons should have different colors, except for things like specific dragon armors and demon whips, tridents, trishulas et cetera.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 24th December 2012, 12:05

Currently I only have to look at an item to find out what it is. Having to read the text is especially annoying if you are trying to speedrun, but introducing to need to do so for no gameplay reason whatsoever isn't exactly helpful to any player. Crawl (especially console) graphics should have clarity as a top priority, the aesthetics aren't ever going to be great whatever we do.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 24th December 2012, 12:20

Well you can redefine console glyphs if you like (like for instance not making demon weapons have random glyphs that look like other weapons!). Anyway this proposal doesn't seem to be concerned with console at all (since in recent versions all robes in console are actually a red [ instead of being able to have different colours like they could in the past).

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 24th December 2012, 13:49

FWIW, in tiles, robes all look the same on the floor but look different on the playerdoll, and that doesn't really impact things. As long as items on the ground look different, clarity is preserved. There are loads of unused variant playerdoll tiles already.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 24th December 2012, 15:50

I know you seem to be chatting about the console style, but lately the Tiles artefacts have looked less and less distinct from non-artefacts (especially ringmail and other armour). This is an issue.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 24th December 2012, 18:10

Yeah, I'm not talking about console. And I'm not talking about on the floor, either. I mean on the player doll.

Return to Game Design Discussion