Banishment chances up?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 5th December 2012, 22:18

Banishment chances up?

I don't know if it is just RNG but... Has there has been some change to the chance of banishment or character magic resistence values?

I seems to be end up in the Abyss more in 0.12 than any time before. Elven Halls, Ogre Mages, God Gifts, even Centaur with arrows of dispersal, what have you. About half my deaths of post-lair characters have been in the Abyss. (BTW, did take you the exit out as well? ;) )

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 6th December 2012, 13:59

Re: Banishment chances up?

I don't think banishment chances or MR changed. Also dispersal only blinks you. Try wearing MR if you find it, it's nice.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 6th December 2012, 22:34

Galefury wrote:I don't think banishment chances or MR changed. Also dispersal only blinks you. Try wearing MR if you find it, it's nice.

I use MR when I can get it.

I may have mistaken the dispersal thing. I was bounce around a couple times and then I was in the Abyss. Must have been a invisible Orge mage or something. All I can remember is being surprised by ending in the Abyss. Could think of anything else to explain it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 6th December 2012, 23:06

Denniz wrote:I may have mistaken the dispersal thing. I was bounce around a couple times and then I was in the Abyss. Must have been a invisible Orge mage or something. All I can remember is being surprised by ending in the Abyss. Could think of anything else to explain it.

You were being attacked by a monster with a distortion weapon, not dispersal. Distortion only appears on melee weapons, and yes, it will inevitably banish you if you don't make the monster stop hitting you. Well, it could kill you too, since several of the non-banishment effects involve large amounts of damage.

If you get hit by a distortion effect, you should immediately figure out which monster has the offending weapon and strive not to get hit by it again. You can either examine the monsters or read the message log to find out. Striving not to get hit again might involve killing the monster fast, or it might involve running away. MR doesn't help against distortion at all.

o_O

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 7th December 2012, 02:23

Abyss is nasty, although it gets slightly more survivable with some practice. In general avoid what can be avoided, keep moving when possible, never miss an opportunity to hide and regen HP, and burn consumables as needed without hesitation.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 7th December 2012, 16:49

The only thing that has been happening more often is people starting threads asking if things that have not been happening more often have been happening more often.
Your warning level: [CLASSIFIED]

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 7th December 2012, 17:49

ebarrett wrote:The only thing that has been happening more often is people starting threads asking if things that have not been happening more often have been happening more often.

Nah, they've always done that. It's just clustering illusion. ;)

For this message the author JeffQyzt has received thanks: 5
ebarrett, Galefury, Grimm, njvack, rebthor

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 8th December 2012, 00:09

If you're playing on trunk, just go to http://crawl.develz.org/trunk/changes.txt, hit Ctrl-F, and search for a relevant word. If you don't find anything recent, the answer to whether something changed is probably no (okay, it's probably still no even if you don't look, but if you really feel you gotta know...).

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 8th December 2012, 02:46

JeffQyzt wrote:
ebarrett wrote:The only thing that has been happening more often is people starting threads asking if things that have not been happening more often have been happening more often.

Nah, they've always done that. It's just clustering illusion. ;)

People seem to think they are seeing clustering illusions a lot. Perhaps that is the real clustering illusion? 8-)

Return to Game Design Discussion