Webtiles trunk text scroll

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 24th November 2012, 06:37

Webtiles trunk text scroll

Hi, just played webtiles trunk (http://crawl.dobrazupa.org) for the first time tonight... for a few minutes. The text scrolling has been changed since 0.11 (the last webtiles version I had played) in that rather than just changing to the new text, whenever a new line is added to the text box it scrolls through a bunch of old lines really super quick before showing the new line. It's kind of a neat effect, but it's making me so completely sick, I had to stop playing before I even finished the first floor because I was gonna puke.

Sooo, if this effect is intended, could there be a config file option to disable it so I can webtiles?

Also, that server shows something called inception. What is that?

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 24th November 2012, 07:53

Re: Webtiles trunk text scroll

I agree, please change the text scroll back to normal. It's unpleasant when the messages update with a short delay instead of instantly. Also something is wrong with resting. When you used to rest for x turns it would show (x) as the last action turn duration value. Now it shows (1) which is kind of strange. And resting is laggy too now. It used to recover hp fast and smoothly, now it does so in laggy bursts. Possibly has to do with the new hp/mp bars?

The new hp/mp bars are worse in my opinion, because they are significantly shorter.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 24th November 2012, 09:54

Message scrolling is now* instantaneous again (except if animations are turned on); the turn counter is not updated during resting anymore; and I gave the HP/MP bars their old width back (this was just an oversight -- I thought the ratio of the columns was 50%, when it was actually about 45%/55%). Thanks for the reports.

Oh, and inception is a branch with an experimental new Abyss by bh (which has several levels, so you can go deeper into the Abyss to find the rune faster or stay in the shallow parts to survive).

* where by "now", I mean "when the server updates", which is at about 0 am in its timezone.
Last edited by edlothiol on Saturday, 24th November 2012, 11:03, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author edlothiol has received thanks: 2
Sporkman, Wahaha

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 24th November 2012, 10:58

I will take a look later, thank you very much, your efforts are appreciated!

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 25th November 2012, 13:39

Checked it out now and it seems alright, thanks a lot!

Another new thing though, when the game is loaded up I can see 8 tiles lower than my character, but once i change floors I can only see 7 tiles under my char (but still 8 in the other directions). The character can still see enemies 8 tiles lower and target them with spells and ranged attacks but I can`t see them myself until I reload the game.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 25th November 2012, 13:57

Huh, that's weird. Could you make a screenshot?

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 25th November 2012, 15:58

Here;s a link to a screenshot: http://i46.tinypic.com/b5jipv.png . Turns out it doesnt always do it on changing floors, I have no idea what causes this.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 25th November 2012, 16:02

Thanks, but a screenshot of the whole browser window, not just part of it, would help more.

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 26th November 2012, 02:02

Hi, sorry for the too small picture! I lost my guy a few minutes after I took the picture when I got distracted and probably won't play for a few days but since I was the only one that reported this problem maybe it had to do with my browser? I`ll upgrade my firefox to a more recent version before I start my next guy and if the problem persists I`ll post a picture with the full browser window.

Thanks again for your great work on webtiles!

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 28th November 2012, 14:59

Here's another picture of the problem i took when i came back home yesterday night while watching someone else play: http://i49.tinypic.com/148zvcj.png .

edit: note that sometimes the pictures will be squished so the full 8 tiles down will be shown in the area that would be used if it was 7 tiles down. Hope this helps!

Sewers Scotsman

Post Thursday, 29th November 2012, 12:08

I'm getting this too. In this instance, a hound has appeared, as shown by the text, but is not visible on-screen:

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 29th November 2012, 17:41

I just fixed this (the fix will be on the servers tomorrow).

For this message the author edlothiol has received thanks:
Confidence Interval

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 29th November 2012, 19:12

Thanks again!!

Return to Game Design Discussion