Ogres as really unique spellcasters

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 16th February 2011, 13:37

Ogres as really unique spellcasters

OK what Ogre is? Big dumb humanoid. But somehow they have one of the best spellcasting aptitude. So I assume that they have natural talent with it. Also we know that there are a lot of Orge-mages in the games world... But where do they come from? I doubt that they academic wizards, more like shamans, intuitive magic

I propose to turn Ogres into magic demonspawns, but with leveling-up they get unforgettable spells instead of mutations and

1) I think they should get these spell starting at least from XL 4. It prevents startscumming, and explains why most Ogres in the dungeon are not mages
2) If there are no space for new spells due to spells learned from books, then some learned spells should be deleted
3) If random spells take more space then spellcasting allows, then last spells are inactive, but still remembered
4) "Natural" spells may get some bonus, like if they are casted with higher intelligence or skills, it could be scaled with character level. It's a buff, but I think it compensated by lack of flexibility, unforgettable spells may be a big problem
5) Ogres should get few Ogre only spells, like demonspawns get unique mutations
6) It may be an option to forbid Ogres to learn spells from the books at all

After that changes, we'll get interesting and really unique race

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 16th February 2011, 17:35

Re: Ogres as really unique spellcasters

IMHO, Ogres already interesting and unique race.

Return to Game Design Discussion