Traps->Statues?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 15th February 2011, 14:45

Traps->Statues?

Just ran into a statue that shot IOOD's. Great fun. Since traps are generally disliked, except for Zot traps, do you think it would be possible to replace some of the intended functionality of traps with statues? I think that there is a wealth of fun spells that could be given to statues, like Malign Portal or Leda's Liquefaction or a Polymorph Other that preferentially targeted monsters (although, that might get scummy). Could statues be made invisible? Or completely undetectable, so that you could only find it by inferring its location and running into it?
Human kind cannot bear very much reality.
TSE

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 15th February 2011, 19:52

Re: Traps->Statues?

you may also take interest in lua traps
that is, pressure plates that do things defined in lua
(have a look at source/dat/des/variable/traps.des)

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 15th February 2011, 20:14

The idea is interesting, and we will gladly take vaults that make use of fancy statues/traps.
I don't think that we can easily move all traps to statues, simply for the T&D skill. (It could be argued that the skill should be simply removed, of course.) Also, not all traps are disliked: shafts and alarm traps are interesting, at least.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 15th February 2011, 20:33

Alas, I am but an empty voice, with no programming skills whatever (I barely know html). :oops: So, at least for the moment, I can deliver nothing but ideas. If you would like those, I am happy to supply them . . .
Human kind cannot bear very much reality.
TSE

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 16th February 2011, 08:58

dpeg wrote:I don't think that we can easily move all traps to statues, simply for the T&D skill. (It could be argued that the skill should be simply removed, of course.) Also, not all traps are disliked: shafts and alarm traps are interesting, at least.

You forgot to mention Zot traps - they are probably thoroughly hated, but IMHO certainly not disliked.
... and forgive us our YASDs,
As we forgive our developers,
And lead us not into the Abyss,
But deliver us from Sigmund,
For Thine is the Roguelike,
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Return to Game Design Discussion