Red poison a little strong?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 24th October 2012, 22:57

Red poison a little strong?

Had a game end today when a char with 78 hp quaff-id-ed a potion which turned out to be strong poison. It was the first time I quaffed one with no cure potion but I did have a wounds potion so figured I was safe id-ing my unknown potion since it was the only bad one left. Anyway, it ate through my 78 hp, natural regen and also the ~15hp from a heal wounds and I still had light red poison when I died. I guess I probably rolled a really high amount of poison damage on quaff but that seems like an immense amount of damage to still be red poisoned.

Weird that after all that time playing crawl it's the first time I notice just how much damage strong poison does but had to ask if a high end roll should really be this high.

This was on webtiles 0.11 .

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 24th October 2012, 23:23

Re: Red poison a little strong?

Sometimes poison does a little bit of damage and sometimes a lot. In your case you simple just got unlucky on how much damage it outputted on you.

Just a good reason to keep Cure Potions handy before you go around quaffing anything.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 24th October 2012, 23:29

Strong poison potions are pretty lethal unless you have a way to cure it. There are poison miscasts that are even worse ... basically a delayed instadeath unless you have some way to cure the poison.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 24th October 2012, 23:39

my current dumb as rocks troll who isn't learning any major type of magic decided to pick up some level 2 spells for utility. I put one level into poison magic, and with a int of around 12 or so, cure poison has ~20% miscast. I've used it around a dozen times. I recommend it highly :)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 24th October 2012, 23:48

I realise this is probably clustering illusion but poison did seem to get notably stronger over the last twelve months or so.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 25th October 2012, 00:08

??quaff id

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 25th October 2012, 00:21

tasonir wrote:my current dumb as rocks troll who isn't learning any major type of magic decided to pick up some level 2 spells for utility. I put one level into poison magic, and with a int of around 12 or so, cure poison has ~20% miscast. I've used it around a dozen times. I recommend it highly :)

I have an level 16 MiBe going and I have a rod of venom around mostly just for the Cure Poison. (Though the other spells are coming in handy for Spider too.)

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 25th October 2012, 00:32

100% player fault, as usual when people complain about losing a character.
Your warning level: [CLASSIFIED]

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 25th October 2012, 23:13

Grimm wrote:I realise this is probably clustering illusion but poison did seem to get notably stronger over the last twelve months or so.

It's always clustering illusion.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 28th October 2012, 07:18

What happened over the last twelve months or so is that telling everyone rPois is useless has become a bit of a fad so everyone gets poisoned a lot more often.

For this message the author ebarrett has received thanks:
TehDruid

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 29th October 2012, 01:28

ebarrett wrote:What happened over the last twelve months or so is that telling everyone rPois is useless has become a bit of a fad so everyone gets poisoned a lot more often.

Yes, when skilled players say that rPois isn't an especially important resistance because it usually isn't fatal and there are plenty of potions of curing for when it otherwise would be fatal, that makes it totally their fault when a player decides to shotgun lethal poisons with no curing available. These two situations are exactly equivalent.

To the OP: If potions of strong poison can't kill you from full health if you don't burn curing to deal with them, then they are completely pointless and should be removed because they don't serve any function ever. By the time they can generate, there is no reasonable game situation that calls for quaffing random potions in unsafe circumstances, so they have to be relevant even in safe circumstances.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 29th October 2012, 02:10

KoboldLord wrote:
ebarrett wrote:What happened over the last twelve months or so is that telling everyone rPois is useless has become a bit of a fad so everyone gets poisoned a lot more often.

Yes, when skilled players say that rPois isn't an especially important resistance because it usually isn't fatal and there are plenty of potions of curing for when it otherwise would be fatal, that makes it totally their fault when a player decides to shotgun lethal poisons with no curing available. These two situations are exactly equivalent.

Read again, snarkmaster wannabe - that post refers to Grimm's comment which XuaXua quoted. My thoughts on the OP's woes had already been exposed a couple posts before it.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 29th October 2012, 03:21

i claim the title `snark master`

I'll ask the question the OP hinted at: why do strong poison potions exist in the game? Like acquirement, I don't think I've ever seen one spawn sub-D:6, so the natural assumption is that they exist only to extend the `punishment` of quaff-ID. For those self indulgent enough to claim intellect superiority via smart identify scroll usage, the first strong poison potion ultimately consumes one scroll of identification instead of one potion of curing. This consumable drag serves one purpose now that evaporation is gone. If the quaff-ID lesson needs to be extended late in the game, something more drastic and punishing needs to take its place. Instant statrot from a potion of decay sounded appealing to me. Surely something more effective in teaching the error of quaff-ID could exist... a potion that reduces regeneration would cause both food and piety loss for someone willing to wait out the effect; it accomplishes exactly what strong poison does - reduced the effective HP of a character for a significant amount of time.
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 29th October 2012, 03:40

twelwe wrote: If the quaff-ID lesson needs to be extended late in the game

Then don't identifies other potions of the same type you find on the ground.

Anyway why do we have pot of poison and pot of strong poison? It's like the traps, we have dart trap, then arrow trap, then spear traps... At least traps can damage opponents and be a source of ammunitions. Pot are only harmfull, and then only very early when you got unlucky and have no choice to quaff-id without enough precautions.

My proposal, get ryde of bad potions or find a way do make them relevant past first blind/no precaution/last chance quaff.

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 29th October 2012, 18:35

I guess I didn't explain myself well enough with my first post. I though that since potions of poison seem to do something like 30-50 damage that strong poison would do 60-100 damage, but it seems it can do 150-200 damage. Perhaps it could use a name change from potion of strong poison to potion of mortal/deadly poison.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 29th October 2012, 18:46

Well... it doesn't matter too much what they're called. You're not gonna quaff 'em unless you're quaff-id'ing them.

The utility of "bad potions" is really for another thread.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 29th October 2012, 23:27

Their description says:
----------------------------
a potion of strong poison.

A terribly venomous potion.

“‘poison’ is a harsh word. I prefer ‘potion of shut the hell up’”
-Oglaf, bowdlerized
----------------------------

What crate said earlier:
crate wrote:Strong poison potions are pretty lethal unless you have a way to cure it ... ... basically a delayed instadeath unless you have some way to cure the poison.

is significantly more accurate now that i have finally tested it. Potion of lethal poison seems like a pretty accurate name since it looks like it can do about 200 damage.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 30th October 2012, 04:56

If it could induce a curare-like effect at least the potion would be different than "potion of nonetheless lethal poison since you quaffed it on D2".

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 31st October 2012, 02:12

OR we could all just take to heart the lesson that was handed to you and not quaff-ID potions without the means of curing undesired effects...

Return to Game Design Discussion