Pan Monster Spawns

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 21st January 2013, 07:21

Pan Monster Spawns

Monsters should stop spawning on pan floors after a certain amount of time has elapsed. I've found that it's possible to hide in a corner while in lich form or as a mummy and just continually zap enemies with a macro until all your skills reach 27. Furthermore you're able to do this almost as soon as you find pan: with stacked wizardry it's very easy to get lich form castable.

Yes lich form is problematic as well as pan and the abyss being infinite but I think at the very least you shouldn't be able to just go Kiku, dive to pan, and get all your skills to 27 with such ease.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 21st January 2013, 08:04

Re: Pan Monster Spawns

I don't think Lich Form is problematic, as pointed out numerous times by experienced people here.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 21st January 2013, 08:52

I was trying to avoid a "pan isn't the problem lich form is" derail with that comment. Anyway the issue I have is with how relatively easy it is to, for example, get fire storm ready before doing, say, a branch end, zot, or something by just digging a bit in pan and holding down a macro key. I've tried it myself and it's quite easy to do: I managed to get like 6 skills to 27 with only iron shot and lich form barely castable and a staff of channeling.

I'm just asking that monster generation stops after like 15K turns or something in pan. I doubt anyone spends that long on a floor if they're not scumming it.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 21st January 2013, 10:22

It's a remnant of the old mummy thing - back when spawns were infinite anywhere, a mummy would spend millions of turns just power camping. Rather than just stopping monster generation after a set time limit, I think just declaring "all monsters on this floor give 0 EXP now" at some time limit (and maybe gradually reach there over aeons) would be more elegant.

Return to Game Design Discussion