Cleave

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 20th September 2012, 01:54

Re: Cleave

Cleave is useful but not overpowered. It's only really useful against packs in open areas (leading them into hallways is still optimal) and even then 95% of the time you can deal with the pack easily without cleave. In the other 5% you're just saved some resources (piety, heals, teleports, and so on). I will say that the Vaults 5 entrance can be a bit too easy with cleave. If any nerfs are made I'd say reducing the cleave area from 7 spaces to 5 spaces is acceptable but even that isn't really needed.

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 20th September 2012, 05:28

Seems pretty fun from the short try i gave it, and very unique too! Really felt super strong in some rare situations but mostly it helped clear chaff faster, vs the real threats I found myself going back in corridors as usual.

If you`re looking for suggestions for other weapon abilities after reach and cleave, something like Focus, which would lower by 1 aut the time for subsequent attacks vs the same target, and Stun/Setback, which would increase by 1aut the current energy of the target could be interesting.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 20th September 2012, 10:19

Well there's long blades, short blades, maces, and staves left.

Maces and short blades could just use slightly modified versions of their stab effects and the stabbing skill can be removed (at the moment clubs can confuse unaware enemies... this could be changed to some sort of percentage thing).

Long blades could use bleeding (which would make sense considering claws already use bleeding), and staves already have their elemental thing going and are unique enough really.

All things considered the only thing that's really needed are slight modifications on abilities that ALREADY exist in the game. No new abilities need to be added.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 20th September 2012, 10:47

Stay on topic please. This thread is about cleave, not about weapon effects in general.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 20th September 2012, 11:45

dpeg wrote:jejorda: message spam has nothing to do with cleaving, does it? Same issue for area spells.

When I cast an area spell, I am slowly and carefully considering my position and the motion of the enemies so I can get the best application of my limited MP, and my fingers are on enter from confirming the target, so I I can easily dismiss the prompts and my pacing isn't disrupted.

When I'm berzerking with an axe, I'm using the numpad or tab to run towards whatever group appears when I press o, and I want to swing again if they are still there. Having to move my hand to enter after each swing feels like a chore and ruins the feel of clobbering things in melee.

I don't notice being prompted from freezing cloud. Or if I do, it's a reward for getting it to work. It feels like paperwork on an axe, though.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 20th September 2012, 12:31

jejorda2 wrote:When I'm berzerking with an axe, I'm using the numpad or tab to run towards whatever group appears when I press o, and I want to swing again if they are still there. Having to move my hand to enter after each swing feels like a chore and ruins the feel of clobbering things in melee.

I'm not really what you're complaining about, but maybe setting show_more to false would help.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 20th September 2012, 16:33

Which build has cleave deployed?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 20th September 2012, 16:46

Trunk (aka 0.12)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 20th September 2012, 16:53

galehar wrote:
jejorda2 wrote:When I'm berzerking with an axe, I'm using the numpad or tab to run towards whatever group appears when I press o, and I want to swing again if they are still there. Having to move my hand to enter after each swing feels like a chore and ruins the feel of clobbering things in melee.

I'm not really what you're complaining about, but maybe setting show_more to false would help.

That fixes it. With CAO down, I don't have access to my favorite options file.

I apologize if it sounds like complaining. I'm pleased with this the addition of cleaving, and continually astounded in general at the notion that a game with with such a great concept and so many well done details still gets regular meaningful updates. I just figure I'll throw ideas out in case any of them are worth putting in while the feature is still being worked on.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 20th September 2012, 17:02

galehar wrote:Trunk (aka 0.12)

Which build? I seem to only be able to get 12-a0-421 from the RSS feed, and I am not sure that has it. The rest of the feed has been 0.11 prep, I believe.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 20th September 2012, 17:16

Cleave was added on 9/15/2012 at 23:24. The 0.12 build available on the RSS feed is from 9/8.

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 21st September 2012, 07:27

I played a minotaur axe guy of okawaru tonight and i withdraw what i said yesterday about only cleaving chaff. This time oka gave me good stuff form the get go and i cleaved my way through everything, death yak packs and all. I only got to vault before having to stop for now but on a well equipped guy tab efficiency has increased many folds. I almost never had to retreat or quaff pot or press buttons other than o and tab, it was some good quick brainless fun.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 21st September 2012, 10:03

dpeg wrote:Cleaving is not realistic at all, obviously. If you want a "rationalisation" of the current ally mechanic, here is one: think of the action movies where an actor does something dangerous and all his friends (allies) somehow duck just at the right time.
Gameplay-wise, the question is whether cleaving should be weaker in the presence of allies. I don't really see why (as of yet), so I'd keep the status quo.

Ok, that's a really nice mental image, thank you! :lol:
If neutrals are a problem, would it be worth changing the way cleave behaves to depend on your god, rather than ask? So, if your god cares about neutrals, then they get treated like allies, if not then like enemies. While that doesn't cover every situation, the ones it doesn't are rather rarer.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 21st September 2012, 23:07

I feel like having neutrals get treated like walls rather than like allies if your god disapproves their slaughter makes more sense, though may be harder to code? Ie: they stop cleave in that direction. This would allow a certain degree of discretion(I attack thataway in order to not hurt the innocent), without complete discretion(simply magically skip the targets I don't want to hit). It would also slightly nerf cleave for TSO folk without completely removing it ever being an option(which seems a thing, considering that switching to TSO is such a big deal for extended endgame). Considering that cleave is always on, this seems viable.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 22nd September 2012, 08:34

iriswaters wrote:I feel like having neutrals get treated like walls rather than like allies if your god disapproves their slaughter makes more sense, though may be harder to code? Ie: they stop cleave in that direction. This would allow a certain degree of discretion(I attack thataway in order to not hurt the innocent), without complete discretion(simply magically skip the targets I don't want to hit). It would also slightly nerf cleave for TSO folk without completely removing it ever being an option(which seems a thing, considering that switching to TSO is such a big deal for extended endgame). Considering that cleave is always on, this seems viable.

That's an acceptable solution, but I doubt there is actually a problem here. It's perfectly acceptable that axes are less effective or undesirable given specific combinations.

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
crate

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 22nd September 2012, 13:59

BlackSheep wrote:Cleave was added on 9/15/2012 at 23:24. The 0.12 build available on the RSS feed is from 9/8.

Is there going to be a local build to test with anytime soon, or am I restricted to using Webtiles?

Because Axe Berserker is awesome in Webtiles.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 22nd September 2012, 15:19

They're focusing on getting 0.11 out the door and want people testing that right now. You have cszo and you can compile the game yourself if you want to be on the bleeding edge.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 22nd September 2012, 15:22

Yeah, just try to compile it yourself (although it gave me a pain because of my slow internet connection :P ).

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 22nd September 2012, 18:06

CSZO webtiles has a trunk build. I usually play on that.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 23rd September 2012, 01:25

Yeah, that's where I'm at at the moment (cleaving the bejeez out of orcs with an Executioner Axe of Vampirism!)

My feedback on Cleave?

I should not be hitting the 3 squares immediately behind my target square, yet I seem to do. Why?

I'M NOT SPINNING IN A CIRCLE LIKE A BALLERINA. IMHO, limit it to 5 squares max if it isn't already.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 23rd September 2012, 02:08

What did you say?
Awwwwwwww yeahhhhhhhhh

But honestly, yeah. It's a bit silly that you do "exactly" that. Every single time you swing the axe.
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 23rd September 2012, 13:22

Roguelikes are not combat simulators. We are talking about a tactical effect for axes. For that to matter, it should have broad applications. The cleaving range may be restricted later, but certainly not for realism concerns. It is much more important that players can get a very intuitive grasp of the mechanic. One or two versions in, cleaving --however implemented-- will raise no more eyebrows than any other mechanic defying reality.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 23rd September 2012, 16:33

Maybe narrowing the range for mundane weapons and allowing a full 360º spin chopping for axe artifacts would be good.
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 28th September 2012, 01:58

I've been fooling with axe-wielding characters for a little while now, and I kind of like what I'm seeing. Cleaving is overpowered at the moment, yes, but it feels different than fighting with sword or maces. I see an early pack monster on an open level, like a yak or something, and instead of stair-dancing them up to a level with a corridor I have them approach me at an angle and let the cleave damage bonus do its work. When I run into one of those normally punitively boring kobold rooms, I step into the threshold of the room and start sweeping up the trash instead of running up and down the entry corridor to minimize exposure to blowguns. This is a good change, even if the power probably should still be tweaked. Melee weapon wielders *should* feel at least as different as different spellcasting builds, and now three of them (short blades, polearms, axes) finally do feel unique.

There are some serious drawbacks to axes now, though. Line of effect management is much harder when weak creatures I'm using to block for me occasionally decide to go and die when I don't want them to. This comes up a lot with centaur and yaktaur packs, for instance; I charge them so they switch to melee, as is the common practice with those guys, but then the weaker ones die and I'm suddenly open to target practice for the ones that were harmlessly walled off behind them. I can't even close with them right away because I would be stepping away from a couple of the ones that are already in melee with me. I don't necessarily think this needs to change, since it is at least potentially an interesting dynamic for monsters to be dying too easily for the player's preference, but if a method to suppress cleaving was implemented it would definitely get some use.

If I were to briefly sum up the experience of axe murdering in trunk, I'd probably describe it as aggressive but potentially reckless. If you're willing to take some hits in rapid succession, potentially without getting a chance to respond, you get a large boost in damage. Facing monsters requires constant judgment with respect to maxing out the bonus damage without taking unacceptable risks, as opposed to preferring corridors in almost all situations with few exceptions. As a consequence of this emergent play style, perhaps the high risk/high reward dynamic could be maximized even more? At the moment, high-end axes are lower in base damage than they used to be, but I was thinking that an even better statistical drawback for axes might be a melee AC penalty. Something that works along the lines of the deformed body mutation, where the axe-wielder loses a percentage of the base AC of their body armour depending on the type of axe they wield. Not too important early on, and perhaps doing nothing at all for the weaker starting axes, but eventually scaling up to -5AC for a plate-wearing executioner's axe-wielding character. Naturally, this would only apply in melee so players aren't tempted to unwield their axe for traveling or when they want to charge a ranged opponent.

The melee AC malus could be rationalized as the character 'loosening the straps' on his or her armour in order to wield an axe effectively, and if a phrase to that effect was included in the wield message for axes it would subtly inform even new players who are trying axes for the first time as to the reason for their lower than expected AC. Light armour and dodging would be slightly more beneficial to axe wielders since they would lose less melee AC, so the classic mental image of an axe-wielding barbarian clad in dead animal products and exposing his or her chest to the world would be reinforced mechanically, but not so strongly that buckling down and enchanting up a suit of heavy armour isn't doable too.

Perhaps something like these multipliers:
hand axe: 1x (no penalty to melee AC for starting characters)
war axe: .9x (-1AC only in plate or splint, still safe enough for low-level characters)
broad axe: .7x (big jump from war axe, -3AC in plate armour but only -1 in leather)
battleaxe: .7x
executioner's axe: .5x (equivalent to deformed body; maybe reason enough not to upgrade until body armour with a good plus is available)

The big axes simply take lots of muscle to swing properly, and if the joints on your armour are strapped too tightly you're not going to be able to get them going. So you loosen up the joints a bit, and opponents close enough to attack back in melee can aim for those weak points instead of bashing straight into the stiff metal bits protecting your vitals. Assuming they can survive your axe long enough, of course. Ranged enemies can try to aim, but you have more time to move a better-protected section of armor to cover yourself.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks: 2
njvack, Roderic

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 28th September 2012, 02:41

Suggestion: As well as bonus damage, vorpal axes should get a bonus to cleave range. This further differentiates vorpal from flaming/freezing for axes.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 28th September 2012, 16:30

KoboldLord: I don't like your suggestion because it would introduce a completely new mechanic for little gain. Also, weapon swapping is a quick action, armor stuff tends to take a while, so loosening/tightening your armor every time you swap weapons would be weird. Leaving damage the same but adding a different disadvantage to axes might be good for balancing cleaving if emphasizing the higher risk/reward potential is a goal. But I think it should be done using existing mechanics if possible.

Note that if you can cleave all enemies in the open, the expected amount of damage you take from a group of melee monsters while killing all of them would be the same whether you fight them in a corridor or in the open. Fighting in a corridor just makes the fight take longer, which means you get less out of your buffs, but can more finely react when things start going bad, and regenerate more during the fight. So if there was no opportunity cost (turns, ranged attacks, wandering monsters, realtime) to getting to a corridor or minimizing the amount of monsters in sight at a time, it would still be better to fight in a corridor without buffs, even with cleaving. The saved turns and attack nutrition are not relevant.

Of course there is an opportunity cost to getting to a corridor (at least a realtime cost, very frequently also a significant ingame cost), and lots of enemies have ranged attacks. So there is no doubt that cleaving is useful, I just wanted to elaborate a bit more on the higher risk, higher reward thing: the reward for fighting in the open with cleaving is often not higher, just the risk is usually higher.

For this message the author Galefury has received thanks:
dpeg

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 28th September 2012, 18:30

I'm eager to try this. Axes just went from the most boring to potentially the most fun class, I think. Of course I have to try it first to know.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 28th September 2012, 18:43

Um, I just downloaded the latest trunk build and cleave seems not to be happening for me. (XL4 HOBe, using hand axe, skill 5.8 in Axes). If I have three monsters adjacent to me and to each other and I hit the middle one, shouldn't I see the others take damage? There aren't even messages saying I'm missing the others.

I'm sure I'm missing something - is this a patch that has to be compiled in?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 28th September 2012, 18:45

danr wrote:I'm eager to try this. Axes just went from the most boring to potentially the most fun class, I think. Of course I have to try it first to know.

It's great, just don't play with the current available build off the RSS because ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 28th September 2012, 18:49

I don't think there's a download link to the latest 0.12 version at the moment. You'd need to play on crawl.s-z.org or compile it yourself.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 28th September 2012, 19:37

I've played roughly half a game with a HOCK since cleave got added and my opinion is that axes are probably worse now than before the changes (since both battleaxe and exec axe just took another damage hit in trunk, so they match the stats of glaive/bardiche) but are more interesting. With 16 dam battleaxe and 19 dam exec axe (which is what is in my game) it feels ok to me ... it's pretty much useless for quite some time imo. I just got Xom-Abyssed from d:20 (havent found Vaults entrance yet) and have cleared lair/orc and the only place I would say that it was definitely a buff to have cleave at the cost of 1 base damage on my battleaxe was in orc (mainly because of priests).

Probably berserk cleaving is ok.

Hand axes and war axes are not quite so terrible any more!

Personally I would like to go back to 16 dam battleaxe and 19 dam exec axe, probably cleave is ok with those stats ... I find reaching more powerful than cleaving and I already don't like glaives and bardiches much. I will try cleaving out some more in other games but these are my first impressions.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 28th September 2012, 19:52

XuaXua wrote:
danr wrote:I'm eager to try this. Axes just went from the most boring to potentially the most fun class, I think. Of course I have to try it first to know.

It's great, just don't play with the current available build off the RSS because ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD ROD

Um, there's a problem with rods?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 28th September 2012, 19:54

A bug caused rods to be over-represented in loot. It's already been fixed.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 28th September 2012, 19:56

minmay wrote:Agreed. I really can't see myself using axes over polearms now. At least before they did more damage!

Even though it wasn't actually compiled in my game, I thought it was and so I was looking for opportunities to cleave. I was surprised that in the first few levels of the dungeon anyway there are very few situations where you actually encounter more than a single monster.

So I too found that early on at least it had limited application. However, it would have been nice when I was banished to the Abyss by Sonja's distortion dagger and got surrounded by a lich and a bunch of skeletal warriors - and died.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 28th September 2012, 21:45

minmay wrote:Agreed. I really can't see myself using axes over polearms now. At least before they did more damage!

Pfffft. I took down 5 Orbs of Fire in 3 consecutive swings with my +1, +6 Electric Executioner's Axe rF++ earlier today.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 28th September 2012, 23:38

Galefury wrote:KoboldLord: I don't like your suggestion because it would introduce a completely new mechanic for little gain.

Sounds like you didn't understand my suggestion. I might have been excessively verbose, but an AC penalty is not a particularly novel suggestion. Nor is it particularly difficult to code.

Galefury wrote:Also, weapon swapping is a quick action, armor stuff tends to take a while, so loosening/tightening your armor every time you swap weapons would be weird.

It's flavor text. Even if it's potentially a problem, why wouldn't it take significantly less time to cinch up the sleeve of your chain mail to give your arm more room to move than it would to completely remove that chain mail?

Galefury wrote:Of course there is an opportunity cost to getting to a corridor (at least a realtime cost, very frequently also a significant ingame cost), and lots of enemies have ranged attacks. So there is no doubt that cleaving is useful, I just wanted to elaborate a bit more on the higher risk, higher reward thing: the reward for fighting in the open with cleaving is often not higher, just the risk is usually higher.

That's close to being true, but real-game situations tend to diverge from the ideal case somewhat. Many monsters have productive things to do when you're not hitting them, and often maneuvering all the way over to that corridor leaves you open to some attacks on the way. I certainly don't much like stair-dancing elephants on an octagon level.

crate wrote:I've played roughly half a game with a HOCK since cleave got added and my opinion is that axes are probably worse now than before the changes (since both battleaxe and exec axe just took another damage hit in trunk, so they match the stats of glaive/bardiche) but are more interesting. With 16 dam battleaxe and 19 dam exec axe (which is what is in my game) it feels ok to me ... it's pretty much useless for quite some time imo. I just got Xom-Abyssed from d:20 (havent found Vaults entrance yet) and have cleared lair/orc and the only place I would say that it was definitely a buff to have cleave at the cost of 1 base damage on my battleaxe was in orc (mainly because of priests).

Probably berserk cleaving is ok.

Hand axes and war axes are not quite so terrible any more!

Personally I would like to go back to 16 dam battleaxe and 19 dam exec axe, probably cleave is ok with those stats ... I find reaching more powerful than cleaving and I already don't like glaives and bardiches much. I will try cleaving out some more in other games but these are my first impressions.

Agreed, and that's why I want to see some other drawback for axes other than reduced damage. If an AC penalty won't do the job for some reason, surely something will do.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 28th September 2012, 23:51

KoboldLord wrote:Agreed, and that's why I want to see some other drawback for axes other than reduced damage. If an AC penalty won't do the job for some reason, surely something will do.

Would a minimum delay of 0.8 or 0.9 work?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 29th September 2012, 00:35

KoboldLord wrote: If an AC penalty won't do the job for some reason, surely something will do.

An EV penalty, perhaps?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 29th September 2012, 03:02

Make them noisy?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 29th September 2012, 05:15

I like the idea of noisy axes, it would draw in more monsters for you to cleave. I could see the AC penalty, but -5ac in plate seems a bit extreme, I'd lower it to 1-2 points...I'd rather see a noise penalty or EV, though. That could just be my preference for heavy armor on melee talking.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 29th September 2012, 19:31

+1 for an EV penalty as much as I appreciate the thematics of KL's AC penalty -- it increases the gamble in a certain sense; characters will want to drop the enemy before they manage to get that one hit in. It does perhaps motivate characters to take up heavy armor more.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 29th September 2012, 19:59

nicolae wrote:Would a minimum delay of 0.8 or 0.9 work?

Minimum delay is a nerf to damage over time. In fact, it's a really BIG nerf to damage over time, since attack delay is multiplicative rather than additive and it multiplies into more things than base damage. It's also much more granular; Unless the base damage of axes was given a HUGE boost, I think making the minimum delay worse would just make them strictly worse than the other weapon classes. In this particular case, a minimum delay of 0.8 would be a straight 12.5% damage nerf with no way to compensate.

jejorda2 wrote:Make them noisy?

How noisy are we talking about? If we're talking about walking around with a Mephitic Cloud, that's basically the Singing Sword's thing.

XuaXua wrote:An EV penalty, perhaps?

roctavian wrote:+1 for an EV penalty as much as I appreciate the thematics of KL's AC penalty -- it increases the gamble in a certain sense; characters will want to drop the enemy before they manage to get that one hit in. It does perhaps motivate characters to take up heavy armor more.

I did consider combining an AC and an EV penalty, so it would be sure to hit both light-armor and heavy-armor characters equally, but I thought it might be more interesting to make the decision between light and heavy armor a little more difficult. Heavy spellcasters like Kiku worshipers are unlikely to have the xp to spare training up axes, so they're more likely to train up a cheaper weapon class. Of the subset of characters who are likely to be picking axes anyway, more of them tend to be Trog or Makhleb or whomever followers who have nothing to lose from picking up heavy armor, and at most will train charms and translocations later on to get Haste and Phase Shift.

Late-game, it doesn't really matter much. Those heavy-armor axe-wielders will have either 50AC and 25EV, or they'll have 45AC and 30EV. Either way, they'll be fine. Earlier on, however, you can't afford to maximize both AC and EV so you're going to have to choose. If you've got to suck up a -5 to EV, then there's no problem; just strap on that plate armour and enjoy the fact that you weren't going to dodge anything anyway. It costs quite a bit of dodging skill and dexterity to get EV above 6 or 7 in plate armour unless you have a ring or something to cheat with, so if you're already sucking up a -5 you might as well just dump the stat and be done with it until the lategame. A scaling AC penalty is easier to mitigate, however; that +10 plate armour you enchanted up just gives +15 instead of +20, and your whole AC will still be pretty high.

tasonir wrote:I could see the AC penalty, but -5ac in plate seems a bit extreme, I'd lower it to 1-2 points...

That's why I pegged it to scale like the deformed body mutation. -5AC is what centaurs and naga get in plate armour, and it doesn't stop them any. A centaur or naga axe-wielder will probably still end up in heavy armor by the end of the game, and the enchantment bonus would be as big as ever.

And note that the -5 would only be in the best common armor wielding the very best possible axe which is actually super-rare unless you're worshipping Trog or Okawaru. Using the example numbers I posted, which are of course subject to revision if necessary, the best common armor paired with the best common axe would only be -3AC. That's not so bad.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 1st October 2012, 07:24

At the moment polearms are way better than axes and you're thinking of nerfing axes more?

Cleave was fine in it's original form. Currently I'd either use a polearm or go unarmed instead of ever choosing an axe. Centaurs rock unarmed, same with minotaurs, and that leaves what? Hill orcs as our axe users? They can just use a polearm and they'd be much better off. I was hoping for cleave to make axes viable for something other than hill orcs but at the moment it just makes hill orcs chose polearms.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 1st October 2012, 10:54

snow wrote:At the moment polearms are way better than axes and you're thinking of nerfing axes more?

I'm pretty sure we're all talking about putting axe damage back, and applying any necessary nerfs to something other than damage.

I don't think anybody's suggesting that noise or AC penalties or EV penalties get added as an additional nerf on top of the nerf that's already been done.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 1st October 2012, 21:37

I know this.

AC and EV and penalties are far worse than damage penalties. I'd say on average 1 AC or EV is worth about +2 or +3 to your base weapon damage in terms of survivability. How much damage does a dead player do after all? None.

Axes when I tested them were about on par with polearms in terms of utility. Keep in mind there's talk of making shields not completely useless, axes are 2 handed, and again dead players don't deal any damage. I see literally no reason for axes to have any penalties beyond the initial -1 they had in the original cleave implementation.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 1st October 2012, 22:12

Hey, how does/should octopode's 8-enemy constriction work with cleave? If an octopode hits 8 enemies at once, does it begin (or have a chance to begin) constrcting all 8 targets, or just the primary target?

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 1st October 2012, 22:44

Just the primary target.
PreviousNext

Return to Game Design Discussion