Official android port

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Monday, 14th January 2013, 12:05

Re: Official android port

frogbotherer wrote:
  • crashing after the SDL start screen is also not deliberate :D. There's a couple of different causes for this, some of which can be resolved by completely uninstalling and reinstalling (the go-to fix for everything, naturally). If you know how to get at logcat and can post the output, this will help diagnose the problem.

Hi.

Thanks for all your work on this!

I have a logcat output from the most recent build. I have the - SDL screen loads, I can adjust the setting but then it goes black and crash to home screen - issue.
I am on 4.2.1 with a Nexus 7

The Logcat output I have stuck in pastebin here.

Hope this helps

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Monday, 14th January 2013, 13:44

I don't think that logcat output is much of use, because most recent build for Android just segfaults (black screen after loading SDL is a effect). Here is crash log from morgue: http://pastebin.com/Fyif5jH9

Last fully working version is 1308, later versions have problem with loading maps. It is Android 4.0.4 on board of 10.2" tablet.

I'm pretty new to Android and DCSS. On Linux I would just compile debug version and get core dump. If there is any possibility for that on Android, I could visit ##crawl-dev and try to help getting semi-useful debug infomations.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 18th January 2013, 14:13

http://pastebin.com/RkGGDfE1
Crash after sdl screen on nexus 7, 4.2.1.

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 18th January 2013, 15:38

I've got the same trouble - crash at once after SDL screen, without any error messages. my device is LG Optimus Sol (or LG Victor), with official android 2.3.4

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 19th January 2013, 23:11

frogbotherer has fixed some issues, I've uploaded a fresh build with his fixes.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 20th January 2013, 05:28

galehar wrote:frogbotherer has fixed some issues, I've uploaded a fresh build with his fixes.

Much appreciated, galehar!

Would there be anywhere where I can find some changelogs on this?

BTW, quick bug report:

All typed commands using the in-game keyboard are not immediately outputted after you press Send. You have to press a hardware button (any of them, even Esc button) to send. Not sure if intentional, however previous versions send commands just fine. Using Galaxy S2.

Eg: type 'o', then press send. You char will not move. You have to press the Back/Settings/Vol+/- button, then the game will autoexplore.

For this message the author srulz has received thanks:
frogbotherer

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 20th January 2013, 11:49

Now game works, but i think that it is comfortable only on tablets. For phones the most comfortable still is ASCII port, despite the necessity to scroll left-right the zoomed screen :)

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Monday, 21st January 2013, 20:17

galehar wrote:frogbotherer has fixed some issues, I've uploaded a fresh build with his fixes.

Downloaded and working on Samsung Galaxy S3, Andriod 4.0. Now that I have a working version on my phone, I am beginning to see the significant challenges associated with getting a satisfactory GUI on smartphones. I still much prefer the old gui (i.e. standard layout) on my 10" tablet to the new GUI on my smartphone. The primary reasons for this are:

1) The basic commands menu is visible with the standard layout but must be accessed via a button on the new layout, resulting in the need for two actions instead of one for the vast majority of commands issued.

2) The inventory, minimap and full statistical layout are all visible on the standard layout but not visible or partially visible on the new layout.

Having said that, here are few comments:

1) I had to go into the SDL device configuration two-finger screen gesture menu and set the KP-PLUS and KP-MINUS as you instructed in order to get pinch-to-zoom working. Very helpful. I'll need to play around with it but the zoom function does seem a bit jerky.

2) As srulz indicated in his post, the typed commands are not properly outputted after pressing send as in past builds.

3) I see the necessity of not showing the inventory and minimap. There simply isn't enough space for these items on a screen smaller than 10-inches. The fact that pinch-to-zoom sends you to the minimap is very nice and the ease of accessing the inventory with the large backpack button also makes this acceptable.

4) I am really missing not having gold, XL, place and turn visible. I would much prefer seeing the new health and magic bars significantly reduced to allow for the full statistical layout to be included. As most phones are widescreen, I also think there is plenty of extra space on the right hand of the screen for more buttons and information to be included.

5) It's not important at this point, but the buttons don't scale up very well. Getting rid of the borders and using higher resolution buttons would hep the aesthetics significantly.

6) I believe it is necessary to have additional action buttons on the right hand side in addition to autoexplore, specifically the following: Sleep, Wait 1 turn, attack, pray, throw, chop. Of these, attack is the most critical. Again, I think there is more than enough extra width on most phones to include a more elaborate GUI on the right side.

I'll need to play around some more. Thanks for all your hard work on this!

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 22nd January 2013, 00:59

frogbotherer wrote:pinch-to-zoom is in the build, but it's possible that the settings aren't defaulting correctly on first start. The work-around is to manually bind KP_PLUS and KP_MINUS in the SDL settings before the game launches. If anyone has to do this to make it work please can you post or PM me on the forum?

copingsaw wrote:1) I had to go into the SDL device configuration two-finger screen gesture menu and set the KP-PLUS and KP-MINUS as you instructed in order to get pinch-to-zoom working. Very helpful. I'll need to play around with it but the zoom function does seem a bit jerky.

So, yeah. Regarding above, I have to do by trial and error to discover what actually I need to do to "manually bind KP_PLUS and KP_MINUS". So, below is the step-by-step instruction for it:

1. In SDL, choose Two-finger Screen Gestures.
2. Choose OK.
3. THEN you can choose the sensitivity, what button corresponds for Zoom-In (default is 1, change to KP-PLUS), Zoom-Out (default is 2, change to KP-MINUS), the rest I don't touch.

Also, I agree with all the issues that copingsaw highlighted, and I look forward to future builds from you frogbotherer, thank you very much!

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 23rd January 2013, 17:29

Very happy to say that the game now works on the 4.2.1 Nexus 7.

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 25th January 2013, 12:02

Hey, big thanks for this port! Finally made the latest version work on SGS2, had to delete folder "crawl.develz.org" from everywhere (/app-data/; /Android/data/; root/data/data/ ) and reinstall it again. The latest version ( build 1804, from 23.01 ) is now more enjoyable, since i dont have to be that precize anymore.

- A nice thing would be to make the side bar with shortcuts customizable and scrollable, since i'm missing shotcuts for "(f)ire", "(e)at" and some others like "autoattack" ( not so important ). Also i dont see the point of "Monsters" shorcut, would replace that with "(f)ire"
- Also it would be nice to be able to reduce size of icons when i open inventory, on my phone they look WAY to big, same applies for icons in commands-mode, map-mode and others. Maybe make icons smaller and combine modes with each other to spare space for another shorcuts.
- The buttons for going down and up in map-mode seem to be not working.
- Another suggestion: make keyboard like that of barbs' unofficial ASCII port, since it is so much more convinient than the system one, which blocks the whole screen and only sends commands after we press "Send" button.

Also, does anyone now how can i reduce the resolution of Crawl in fullscreen? I have seen screenshots of old versions running in smaller resolutions and buttons there were bigger than in my native resolution ( 800x480 ). I have only found parameters for changing the window-mode resolution.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 25th January 2013, 13:15

Note that you can eat and throw stuff by tapping them from the inventory panel. Still would be nice to have the buttons. I guess ideally the panels would be configurable.
Maybe you're confusing go up/down and cycle through up/down stairs?
Oh, you have an SG2 too. Does right click (tap and hold) works fine for you? I have finally figured out how it sometimes work. If I just hold the finger, nothing ever happen (I'm expecting a right click after x seconds). To make it work, I have to hold it for x seconds, then slightly slide my finger before lifting it. Strange, huh...

autofight is really missing. Since it is exclusive with autoexplore, maybe the button could change automatically between whichever is currently available?
Also, I find it a bit annoying that the panel disappear as soon you tap a button. I'd like it better if it stayed open until I close it.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
lightrow

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 25th January 2013, 13:45

frogbotherer wrote:P.S. pinch-to-zoom is bound to ctrl-rolley-wheel in local tiles, too :)

Really? Doesn't seem to work for me :(

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 25th January 2013, 19:11

galehar wrote:autofight is really missing. Since it is exclusive with autoexplore, maybe the button could change automatically between whichever is currently available?

This is a brilliant idea.

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 26th January 2013, 12:38

copingsaw wrote:
galehar wrote:autofight is really missing. Since it is exclusive with autoexplore, maybe the button could change automatically between whichever is currently available?

This is a brilliant idea.

If only that would be possible to implement!
About rightclicking on SGS2, i think you just have to release a finger after holding, for me it works after holding for few seconds and then releasing. If i just hold and wait it won't work.
About UP-DOWN buttons, if i understood it correctly, third and fourth buttons in the upper row are responsible for going to the nearest up-down-staircases, like they perform the command CTRL ( SHIFT ) + G and then > or < . For me they don't seem to work. Buttons below them, which are responsible for cycling through up-down-staircases, work fine.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 4th February 2013, 17:18

Thanks for the continued work on this port! I have downloaded the version from Feb 1st. The last few versions run for me on my Nexus 10 (hooray!).

I have a couple questions. Is the interface supposed to scale with the resolution of my device? Or is there a setting I can play with for resolution? Everything is really small and it makes clicking difficult. For example, here is the splash screen:
It seems like it should be full screen.

Of course the splash screen size does not really matter, but here is the character creation menu:
It is really tiny but takes up only a very small portion of the screen. I cannot reliably click on any particular option. If the menu were full screen it would be very easy to select the option I want.

Here is my game play screen:
Again, the icons for the map and the tabs (inventory, etc) are extremely small. If I could set the resolution or tile size or something this would be really great! Of course there probably is a way, I just don't know how, which is why I am asking. :)

And lastly, one request: Can you make the keyboard input work just like the normal game? So I press a key and it immediately performs the action? I am having a hard time figuring out how to get input to work otherwise. The only way I have figured out how to quit a game is by typing "*qyes", pressing enter, and then pressing a volume key to "send" the command. If I just send "*q" I never get a popup asking me to confirm or an option to then type "yes". Is this by design? Or am I again missing something obvious?

It seems like usability would be much better if I could just hit a command on the keyboard (like "o" to autoexplore) and have it just execute the command without me having to "send" it each time.
Wins: {SpVM}, {HOFi}, {MfSk, 15}, {MiFi}, {OpWz}, {VpEn}, {KoEn}, {DsFi}, {SpEn}x2, {MiBe}x2, {HEGl}, {VpEn}, {OpEn}, {HOGl, 10}, {DEEn}.
My CAO player page

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 4th February 2013, 18:22

I believe it's possible, at least on most newer tablets/phones, to poll for "pixel density" which is a much more important number here than just the pixel resolution, as it lets you intelligently decide how much the art assets and UI need scaling up to be usable and visible, based on resolution vs physical size of the screen.

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 1st March 2013, 21:17

Unfortunately, changing pixel density only seems to affect the initial launch screen ( the one with SDL logo in the middle ). The game remains of the same size. I tried it with an application for per app DPI changing ( Xposed framework + App settings module ). If there would be any way of setting Crawl's resolution in fullscreen mode, like setting it to 480x320 instead of 800x480, that would solve all the problems with unplayability due to small buttons' size for me. Or if frogbotherer would finish his work on small buttons' layout ;)

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 2nd March 2013, 08:48

I just got myself a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Android 4.1, and I must say it runs flawless. I think the lower resolution of this tablet in comparison to the more meaty ones makes it even easier to play/read.

So far no crashes.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 12th April 2013, 16:22

I can't get modifier keys to work on my hardware keyboard in the latest version. I'm using an ASUS Transformer TF700T with keyboard dock, running 4.2.1 -- the shift and ctrl keys do not seem to be recognized, all I get are lowercase keypresses and their corresponding commands. I can't even use * to replace ctrl, because the only way to type it is shift-8...although I can use the SDL menu to remap a key to *, but that still doesn't get me uppercase letters (and makes it impossible to type the key's original binding).

Am I missing something in the SDL settings or elsewhere? I could have sworn I had full keyboard controls on a previous build, but that was months ago and before ASUS pushed the latest firmare/OS update as well. FWIW, shift works in the ASCII port (ctrl does not, but shift-8 for * does the trick).

Let me know if there's anything I can provide to help with a solution.
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 10th May 2013, 08:03

I have a problems with most of tiles in last 3 trunk versions for android, namely.
crawl_tiles_android-0.13-a0-633-gdc88342.apk (2013-05-07)
crawl_tiles_android-0.13-a0-627-g159d3db.apk (2013-05-07)
crawl_tiles_android-0.13-a0-560-gbf264c3.apk (2013-05-03)
It looks like they are displayed with wrong offset. I get right half of one tile and left of another one instead of correct tile.
Could it be becuase I installed new version without cleaning up some data first?

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 10th May 2013, 09:05

SmilePic wrote:Could it be becuase I installed new version without cleaning up some data first?

Maybe, I'm not sure. I admit I haven't tested them much before uploading. I just finished D:1 with the 633 build and haven't noticed anything wrong.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 10th May 2013, 17:43

Have you done this?
If you had a go with previous builds, you must delete:
/sdcard/app-data/org.develz.crawl/libsdl-DownloadFinished-0.flag

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 11th May 2013, 05:59

[quote="edlothiol"]Have you done this?[quote]
Thanks, it helped.

Noticed that virtual keyboard works really odd. Sometimes it lags for few seconds after back button. Sometimes it lags until tap on the screen.
Haven't found exact pattern yet. Will check behaviour with another virtual keyboards.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 21st May 2013, 16:19

Hello, I'm an old crawler, even tho I don't use to post at forums. I've been following this thread for some time and even tested some of the old versions of the android port. I'd like to know if there's a estimative about when will this version be complete. I confess I'm not the programer guy and I don't know anything about design and program languages. I hope this gets ready soon, I believe in your work guys!

Cya.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 21st May 2013, 16:26

caiuszito wrote:Hello, I'm an old crawler, even tho I don't use to post at forums. I've been following this thread for some time and even tested some of the old versions of the android port. I'd like to know if there's a estimative about when will this version be complete. I confess I'm not the programer guy and I don't know anything about design and program languages. I hope this gets ready soon, I believe in your work guys!

Cya.

The main developer of the port (frogbotherer) doesn't seem to have been around for ages so unfortunately development seems a bit stalled.

Of course, you might as well ask when Crawl itself will be complete - the answer is hopefully never, there are always improvements to be made!

For this message the author mumra has received thanks:
caiuszito

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 22nd May 2013, 22:56

mumra wrote:
The main developer of the port (frogbotherer) doesn't seem to have been around for ages so unfortunately development seems a bit stalled.

Of course, you might as well ask when Crawl itself will be complete - the answer is hopefully never, there are always improvements to be made!

Yeah, I meant a stable version for android :p. But yeah, I hope it's never completed, this game is too awesome to be completed somehow.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 23rd May 2013, 09:43

caiuszito wrote:Yeah, I meant a stable version for android :p. But yeah, I hope it's never completed, this game is too awesome to be completed somehow.

Well, there is one, it was just missing a link on the download page. Fixed now.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 4th June 2013, 07:04

I've been trying to get DCSS to play nicely with my Nexus 7 tablet and bluetooth keyboard, but like others I'm running into problems with capital letters or any keypress that requires the shift key or other modifier keys, such as "?". My guess is that SDL is receiving two separate keypresses (ie [SHIFT]+[/] rather than [?]).

I'm not much of a programmer but I did find this interesting discussion on Stack Exchange
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1280 ... -key-input

Here's a few excerpts:

SDL only reports real key events.

The good news is you can enable Unicode translation to get symbols like '^' or '@'.

First put this in your initialization code:

Code:
SDL_EnableUNICODE(1);

Now SDL_KEYDOWN events will have the accompanying character in the unicode member of SDL_keysym. This factors in shift, caps lock, etc., when translating the key press into a character.

On my keyboard, 6 and ^ are on the same key. Without shift, unicode is 6. With shift, unicode is ^. The operating system fills in what it should be. So no need for checking key modifiers.

I'm hoping someone much smarter than me might be able to make sense of this in the context of the DCSS Android codebase and put in an awesome fix for hardware bluetooth keyboards!

For this message the author spazmo has received thanks:
tedric

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 6th July 2013, 04:31

so, has anybody tried this on an Ouya yet? probably terrible to try to play crawl with a controller.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 3rd December 2013, 19:35

I am experience a game-non-starting bug on 0.13.1 using android 4.1.2 on galaxy note 10.1
Whenever I choose Dungeon crawl in main menu it loads first saved game instead.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 3rd December 2013, 22:37

That's because the name is the same as the one from the save game. Type a new name and you'll be able to start a new game.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 4th December 2013, 03:45

Is there a simple way to scale the tile size to be a lot larger?

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 4th December 2013, 05:58

galehar wrote:That's because the name is the same as the one from the save game. Type a new name and you'll be able to start a new game.

Thanks, but how to do this? Changing name never really worked for me even on Win version unless I highlighted another menu item before highlighting "Dungeon crawl" once again.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 4th December 2013, 10:50

Klown wrote:Is there a simple way to scale the tile size to be a lot larger?

You can zoom in/out, but for that, you need to map the pinching gestures to kp_plus and kp_minus (keypad). You can also set the tile_cell_pixels to change the default zoom level.

SmilePic wrote:
galehar wrote:That's because the name is the same as the one from the save game. Type a new name and you'll be able to start a new game.

Thanks, but how to do this? Changing name never really worked for me even on Win version unless I highlighted another menu item before highlighting "Dungeon crawl" once again.

You don't need to highlight anything, just type and it will overwrite the name.

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 4th March 2014, 09:14

WOW! OMG!

I'm speechless. I can't believe I missed this gem. Great job!

BTW, before web tiles came out there was a port floating about that allowed the tiles version to connect to the server with partial functionality. That would be a good fit with this.

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 31st August 2014, 17:54

Is there any way to make onscreen keyboard to be semitransparent and always present over the log? It's absence makes controls somewhat frustrating.
UPD: Game keyboard saves the day, but Crawl suspends every time I try to choose another keyboard or entet game keyboard edit mode.
Previous

Return to Game Design Discussion