Epic at the end of the game

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 17th August 2012, 19:47

Epic at the end of the game

We all know that... well, people who win know that after retrieving the Orb of Zot the game ends abruptly in an anticlimax and all that remains of your beloved char is a morgue without having died. Morgue is too boring to read, chiefly if long and the reward to have completed the game is scarce aside from posting it here.

I want to ask the feasibility of the generation of saga/epic narrative at the end of the game relating the principal deeds of the player, according to certain patterns. Currently these deeds are written in the morgue, each time you fought a remarkable monster or unique, visited a branch or got an artifact. Could a summary of them be used as a basis to generate a text following this kind of narrative? I think it would be worthwhile reading and a truly account of all deeds one made.
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 17th August 2012, 20:17

Re: Epic at the end of the game

I'm more a fan of exiting D1 up to a D0 screen that is either randomly formed or based on the character itself, with maybe a section of Duvessa- and Jessica-alikes and throw some Norris' over by a sandy shoals-esque area, or come up and there is lava everywhere and smoke and demons, or maybe a happy town, etc.

A random, inaccessible "You Win!" vault.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 17th August 2012, 20:26

minmay wrote:I think we can expect players to understand that the game ends when you win.

I so disagree with this !

When i win (i have done so twice) i show off my morgue to my friends and say hah ! bet you guys wish you could beat DCSS too.

An epic story instead of a morgue is a good idea which i fully support.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 17th August 2012, 20:26

d0 should be filled with 30 Sigmunds. Just for the satisfaction

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 17th August 2012, 20:29

Have it procedurally generate an epic of your conquests in perfect rhyming meter.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 17th August 2012, 20:30

CONGRATURATIONS
Your warning level: [CLASSIFIED]

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 17th August 2012, 20:33

I wouldn't mind seeing this after ascension:

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 17th August 2012, 20:39

I escaped from the dungeon with the orb of Zot and all I got was this lousy text file.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 17th August 2012, 22:19

I think it'd be enough to just put wins in a folder other then "morgue".
Last edited by Deimos on Friday, 17th August 2012, 22:25, edited 1 time in total.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 17th August 2012, 22:22

The most memorable moments of a game aren't necessarily your victories. Really, I just don't imagine this being very interesting to read.

I would, however, love some kind of brief "Thanks for playing!" message when you win. That would be nice.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 17th August 2012, 22:43

If a narrative resume (like europa universalis III) of your game is implemented, why keeping it only for wins, create this for YASD too.

In any case, it should be only an option, I don't want 3k mini stories on my computer.

dd

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 18th August 2012, 05:27

show an animation of the player doll doing a victory dance. in console, we can use an ascii stickfigure animation.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 18th August 2012, 06:43

XuaXua wrote:I'm more a fan of exiting D1 up to a D0 screen that is either randomly formed or based on the character itself, with maybe a section of Duvessa- and Jessica-alikes and throw some Norris' over by a sandy shoals-esque area, or come up and there is lava everywhere and smoke and demons, or maybe a happy town, etc.

A random, inaccessible "You Win!" vault.

I have eternity before my first win but I like this idea.

Deimos wrote:I think it'd be enough to just put wins in a folder other then "morgue".

And this idea need to be implemented for sure. 'Hall of Eternal Glory' for victors. 'morgue' for the rest.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 19th August 2012, 01:32

white_noise wrote:And this idea need to be implemented for sure. 'Hall of Eternal Glory' for victors. 'morgue' for the rest.

!lg . ktyp=winning -log x

where 'x' is number of victory
Your warning level: [CLASSIFIED]

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 19th August 2012, 03:04

CONGRATULATION !!

For this message the author evilmike has received thanks:
njvack

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 20th August 2012, 15:00

A WINNER IS YOU!
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 20th August 2012, 15:10

Or you come up and suddenly you're in business attire or something it's all office cubicles and the message says, "Good Job, now get back to work!" or you come up and it's The Matrix, etc... random vaults.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 21st August 2012, 08:21

dd wrote:show an animation of the player doll doing a victory dance. in console, we can use an ascii stickfigure animation.

This.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 21st August 2012, 09:34

Grimm wrote:
dd wrote:show an animation of the player doll doing a victory dance. in console, we can use an ascii stickfigure animation.

This.

Console players can have an ascii stick figure, but animated? I strongly disagree. If they'd wanted animation they should have gone with tiles. Every choice has a consequence.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 21st August 2012, 10:57

After all that effort, now you want Victory Dancing back in the game? :P

For this message the author mumra has received thanks: 13
Daydreamer, Dustbin, Galefury, Grimm, jejorda2, nicolae, njvack, Stormfox, twelwe, XuaXua and 3 more users

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 22nd August 2012, 05:08

close this thread and sticky it, then delete my post because everyone needs to see the best crawl joke ever made
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

For this message the author twelwe has received thanks:
mumra

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 22nd August 2012, 19:24

twelwe wrote:close this thread and sticky it, then delete my post because everyone needs to see the best crawl joke ever made

If enough people thank it, it'll hit the Toplist. Something's gotta take out Grimm's gigantic mountain dwarf image.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 22nd August 2012, 19:33

I just edited that post to include the image as an attachment instead. Now the toplist is tidy, exactly like you like it.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 31st August 2012, 18:06

Obviously, the best course of action is to give winners commit access. /terrible

I'd love it if you could get a colored name in chat upon winning. White names for the unwashed masses, cyan for a 3+ rune win, and orange for a 15 rune win. Chat colors last 1 month from time of last win, and additional wins in that timeframe extend name color for an additional month.

Or, since that's horribly convoluted, anyone in the top 1000 score list gets cyan, top 100 orange, and top 10 red. Maybe players who won could have a bold name as well? Possibly some kind of flair for having a combination's high score?

This'll let you judge people at a glance. Plus, I really want to stroll into a friend's game, and post on the chatlog after getting a high score, "Hey, pal. Notice anything different?"

Return to Game Design Discussion