Trog's sacrifices

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 30th August 2012, 07:50

Re: Trog's sacrifices

onton wrote:What about Spriggan and mummy berserkers? Spriggans can't afford berserking every time to gain piety and mummies can't berserk at all. And what happens in post-endgame, when there are no corpses?

Then you miss out on that bit of piety. Bummer.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 30th August 2012, 08:06

onton wrote:What about Spriggan and mummy berserkers? Spriggans can't afford berserking every time to gain piety and mummies can't berserk at all. And what happens in post-endgame, when there are no corpses?

Wouldn't you still get piety from doing murders?

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 30th August 2012, 11:17

KoboldLord wrote:
Eji1700 wrote:Trogs Ritual of War-
Sacrifice a corpse. Takes X turns. Activates a buff that increases piety loss per turn, however vastly improves piety gain for kills. Maybe some other small buff(weaker potion of resistance eff).

You want us to have to train a spare orc over to a place where we expect to have a big fight, every time we have a big fight? Really?

The idea was more that it would have a fairly large cooldown to prevent constant use, and only be an occasional buff for difficult fights. It's a very minor advantage to larger races that can lug around corpses, and something to consider when you've discovered a larger fight. I admit that the obvious optimum use of this is aggroing weaker enemies nearer to large groups, but I also admit it was just a spur of the moment idea proposed as an example of an ability that could turn trog corpse sacrifices tactical while keeping flavor, if anyone even wanted it. I don't think it'd be that hard to iron out the issues if time was put into it, but I think dpeg's ideas work just fine so unless someone really wants another trog buff I'm not going to bother.

onton wrote:
dpeg wrote:galefury's rampage is cool (chaining kills) but I propose a refined version of rage-chopping, because it would be a simple modification.

1) No more sacrificing corpses under Trog.
2) Corpses from kills while berserk can be 'c'hopped when still enraged. This works with any weapon (or hands), gives piety, creates a lot of blood, has chunks spraying around (like disintegration) and increases rage duration like a kill would. Perhaps it should also be shorter than actual chopping.
3) Fresh corpses (created during the current rage) are highlighted: e.g. always on top of piles and in a different colour.

Flavour rationale: You are so berserk that you keep bashing them after death. Trog thinks that is good style.
Gameplay rationale: Replace tedious corpse sacrifices with a new option for berserk. You can use it for piety gain after everyone's dead but it's limited to fewer corpses than before. In addition, you may use it during a fight to increase rage duration, which is often short.

What about Spriggan and mummy berserkers? Spriggans can't afford berserking every time to gain piety and mummies can't berserk at all. And what happens in post-endgame, when there are no corpses?

Someone already pretty much answered this, but these are just bad combos(and honestly i'm not so sure about spriggan zerker). This won't be the only method of piety gain. Just an alternate one. I think it's accepted that certain combos are just damn difficult to do a 3, let alone 15, rune run in.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 30th August 2012, 11:28

Yeah... it's kinda weird that mummy berserkers can gain piety somewhat faster than other berserkers (because they don't need to eat, so they sacrifice every corpse), eventhough they can't berserk at all. :P

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 30th August 2012, 12:35

dpeg wrote:1) No more sacrificing corpses under Trog.
2) Corpses from kills while berserk can be 'c'hopped when still enraged. This works with any weapon (or hands), gives piety, creates a lot of blood, has chunks spraying around (like disintegration) and increases rage duration like a kill would. Perhaps it should also be shorter than actual chopping.
3) Fresh corpses (created during the current rage) are highlighted: e.g. always on top of piles and in a different colour.

I really love the flavor. The minor synergy with blunt vampiric and distortion weapons is kind of nice too, but of course pretty irrelevant.

There are two problems in my opinion:
1) I think there should be some interesting tactical aspect to a new Trog piety gain mechanic. I don't know if sacrificing for berserk extension would be relevant often enough to be interesting. You would have to be fighting multiple corpse-dropping enemies while berserk (this is usually a bad idea if the enemies are actually dangerous, especially if there might be reinforcements), kill some but not all of them (killing currently has a chance to extend berserk), one of them would have to drop a corpse, and there would have to be enemies left standing when berserk is close to running out. I think it would feel nice if you get to use it to your advantage, but that wouldn't happen more than maybe 1-5 times in a game. Regular berserk extension should probably be removed, then extension from mutilating corpses might be relevant.

2) If the piety gain is large enough to compel players to berserk in trivial fights against edible monsters this would be incredibly annoying: you have to wait out the slow, gather some of the strewn around chunks, and eat them. Making players want to berserk more has a lot of tactical relevance, but I don't think it is interesting. So the piety gain would have to be quite small. Not producing chunks from mutilating corpses would help offset this problem, but would lose some flavor.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 30th August 2012, 13:28

In my opinion mummies should not be allowed to follow Trog, just because they can't berserk.
My wins so far - FeBe, KoBe, DsCo, MDFi, DsBe

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 30th August 2012, 14:57

palin wrote:In my opinion mummies should not be allowed to follow Trog, just because they can't berserk.

Please don't ruin one of the most entertaining combos out there :shock: .

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 30th August 2012, 19:25

Mankeli wrote:Please don't ruin one of the most entertaining combos out there :shock: .

Flavourwise a non berserking berserker is... shocking.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 30th August 2012, 20:31

I'd assume a MuBe would be quite deadly if only they could berserk in the same way my grandfather does after the democrats win an election.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 31st August 2012, 09:37

palin wrote:In my opinion mummies should not be allowed to follow Trog, just because they can't berserk.

I think you could justify this as "mummies are magically created beings so Trog despises them". Same would go for Golems if they are implemented.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 31st August 2012, 10:34

Maybe Trog just appreciates the effort, you know? Sure, mummies can't berserk, but they're doing their part to stomp out magic users, and in the end, isn't that what it's all about?

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 31st August 2012, 11:02

minmay wrote:So the berserker background should be permanently berserk from the start of the game?

Who did say this?

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 31st August 2012, 11:05

nicolae wrote:Maybe Trog just appreciates the effort, you know? Sure, mummies can't berserk, but they're doing their part to stomp out magic users, and in the end, isn't that what it's all about?

Yes but they're also a creation of magic.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 31st August 2012, 12:47

Trog's issue is not with magic itself. He's fine with his followers using wands, rods, scrolls, and potions, which are all magical. And enchanted weapons and armour.

His issue is with magic users, specifically those who learn spells or how to use them. So mummies being magical beings (if that's the origin story you're working with) isn't inherently a problem.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 31st August 2012, 13:47

palin wrote:Who did say this?

Mr. Flavour.
Previous

Return to Game Design Discussion