Feedback on Trunk deployment (.12)

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 16th September 2012, 10:39

Re: Feedback on Trunk deployment (.12)

Hmm.. A stupid question.
I was using RSS feeds to get newest builds, but now that I look at what you write here and at changelogs I noticed that RSS still gives me 0.11 version and none of these changes are there.
Where could I possibly get 0.12 (tiles)? Preferably without compiling it myself..

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 16th September 2012, 11:16

I don't know if I changed something in my terminal settings, or if this is new code that I missed in the changelog, but in console in minimap mode, when the cursor is on a stair, the highlight color matches the color of the stair, so I can see whether it has been visited without moving the cursor off. Before it always showed up as a white cursor with a black chevron, now I'm seeing a red cursor with a black chevron for explored stairs, a white cursor with a black chevron for unexplored stairs, and a yellow cursor with a black chevron for trap doors.

This is *wonderful.* Thanks!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 16th September 2012, 13:23

How do I compile this? I got the uncompiled master file....

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 16th September 2012, 15:15

BlackSheep wrote:Cleave is a bit strong...

We are aware. New features aren't really expected to be balanced immediately with the first implementation. It needs playtesting.

MIC132 wrote:Where could I possibly get 0.12 (tiles)? Preferably without compiling it myself..

Not until 0.11 is released. During the pre-release phase, trunk isn't available for download and it's not on the servers either. So that we can get maximum testing on the beta version which is about to be released. It's taking longer than usual for 0.11, but it will eventually make it out :)

pratamawirya wrote:How do I compile this? I got the uncompiled master file....

Read INSTALL.txt. If you need help, open a thread in tech support.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 17th September 2012, 09:41

I've split the mummy discussion into its own thread.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 17th September 2012, 13:55

galehar wrote:I've split the mummy discussion into its own thread.

Totally makes sense; as a reminder, this thread is to discuss the existing trunk deployment build and any concerns with it as it persists and as you play with it, not to discuss adding new features.

You could, however, ask why a certain build might be missing a feature that was purported to be added to it (Based on the commit logs). Not that there is a good example of this at this time.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 17th September 2012, 15:11

Well technically I was talking about something in the current trunk builds, but it's not like I mind keeping the topic clean.
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 17th September 2012, 15:33

Bloax wrote:Well technically I was talking about something in the current trunk builds, but it's not like I mind keeping the topic clean.

You were giving feedback on trunk, I'm not saying you shouldn't have posted it here. However, since it degenerated into a discussion, it made sense to split it, that's all. I wasn't saying anybody did anything wrong (contrary to the hive suggestion which had nothing to do here in the first place).
Now, let's stop the meta-talk and go back to crawl.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 17th September 2012, 19:12

pubby wrote:Vaults got redesigned? I really like it!

They do look awesome now, though somehow less dangerous, IMHO. Maybe it's the lack of encountering 5 separate yaktaur packs in the middle of a large corridor.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 20th September 2012, 02:23

I'm worried about the truncation of several branches (e.g. Vaults 8 --> 5 levels) without any extra monsters to kill. How much XP will we be losing? Was there any discussion and could anyone be kind enough to link me there? I feel that cookie cutter builds may fare fine with less XP, but those less optimal builds may not.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 20th September 2012, 02:32

Part of the point of shortening the branches is to reduce xp.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 20th September 2012, 04:53

You hit level 27 by mid vaults if you clear everything. I think there's enough experience in a 3 rune game to get level 27 twice over... so a few cuts won't hurt. I think the lair and main dungeon need cuts but that's just me. :lol:

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 20th September 2012, 22:19

snow wrote:You hit level 27 by mid vaults if you clear everything. I think there's enough experience in a 3 rune game to get level 27 twice over... so a few cuts won't hurt. I think the lair and main dungeon need cuts but that's just me. :lol:

Unless you clear the game in a completely different order than me, this seems way off. I'm usually around level 20 by then, and I explore everything and kill everything, excepting a couple end vaults and some dangerous uniques or oklobs.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 21st September 2012, 06:44

snow wrote:You hit level 27 by mid vaults if you clear everything. I think there's enough experience in a 3 rune game to get level 27 twice over... so a few cuts won't hurt. I think the lair and main dungeon need cuts but that's just me. :lol:

My 4-runer only hit Xl27 in Zot:3, and I was doing Zot as my last branch, so this is definitely Not Right (tm)

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 21st September 2012, 06:49

^ My first successful DEWz only hit XL27 after killing some high-xp stuff in Zot:5.
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 21st September 2012, 13:26

Different races reach 27 at different times.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 21st September 2012, 14:57

Could a Human even hit XL27 mid-vaults, though? I realize my main species are usually pretty slow levelers, but to go from one character being XL18 in vaults to the next being XL27... I mean, you'd have to be putting vaults off for no good reason to do that.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 21st September 2012, 15:29

Deimos wrote:Could a Human even hit XL27 mid-vaults, though?

No, snow is just bullshitting. Anyway, let's stop stop this uninteresting off-topic discussion. We are cutting levels from the game and one of the goals is indeed to reduce the amount of XP. No need to spam this thread, this specific topic can be discussed here.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 29th September 2012, 00:37

Were Dragon Hide drops reduced in .12? I am finding more dragon armour laying around, fewer enchant armour scrolls, and out of 20 dragons killed, only one gave me a hide. In other news, swimming in Troll hides.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 29th September 2012, 03:00

More types of trolls drop hides now, so that's not your imagination. I don't think dragon hide chances changed.

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 12th October 2012, 14:04

Would it be ok to make water elementals immune to ice clouds and make them summonable from ice clouds?

Also has the % chance of enchant scrolls changed? Since I began counting I`ve used 20 enchant II and 5 enchant III (completed a ziggurat) on my current +9+8 weapon and it hasn`t increased. I`m guessing it`s just huge bad luck but just making sure.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 14th October 2012, 02:56

minmay wrote:That's about a 4% chance, not really very strange.

I would love for that to increase by 1% for every failed enchant scroll attempt used (and then reset back once the next + is hit).

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 14th October 2012, 15:21

minmay wrote:It...it already does...

What...?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 14th October 2012, 15:47

minmay wrote:The chance of successfully enchanting a weapon by using two enchant weapon scrolls is higher than the chance of successfully enchanting a weapon by using one enchant weapon scroll, and so on.

No. The chance stays the same. It is a 4% chance, every time.
You are referring to the probability, which is a pattern. The probability / likelihood of getting a +1 increases every time, but the chance stays the same.
My probability calculations are likely incorrect, but...

I flip a coin. The chance is 50% I will get heads or tails. The probability I get heads is 50%. I get heads.
I flip a coin. The chance is 50% I will get heads or tails. The probability I get heads 2x in a row is 25%. I get heads.
I flip a coin. The chance is 50% I will get heads or tails. The probability I get heads 3x in a row is 12.5%. I get heads.
Chance of heads on the next count flip? 50%. Likelihood of that happening? 6.25%.

Regardless of how many enchant scrolls used, it's always a 4% chance.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 14th October 2012, 15:48

minmay wrote:The chance of successfully enchanting a weapon by using two enchant weapon scrolls is higher than the chance of successfully enchanting a weapon by using one enchant weapon scroll, and so on.

Okay... Image

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 15th October 2012, 05:26

XuaXua wrote:

No. The chance stays the same. It is a 4% chance, every time.
You are referring to the probability, which is a pattern. The probability / likelihood of getting a +1 increases every time, but the chance stays the same.
My probability calculations are likely incorrect, but...

I flip a coin. The chance is 50% I will get heads or tails. The probability I get heads is 50%. I get heads.
I flip a coin. The chance is 50% I will get heads or tails. The probability I get heads 2x in a row is 25%. I get heads.
I flip a coin. The chance is 50% I will get heads or tails. The probability I get heads 3x in a row is 12.5%. I get heads.
Chance of heads on the next count flip? 50%. Likelihood of that happening? 6.25%.

Regardless of how many enchant scrolls used, it's always a 4% chance.

Totally wrong! When you flip a coin the probability isn't 50% because the strting side appear more often when there is an odd number of flip...

Is the ; command new? I just discovered it and it's damn better than g.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 15th October 2012, 12:00

varsovie wrote:Is the ; command new? I just discovered it and it's damn better than g.

It got a lot better around .7 or .8, but hasn't changed appreciably for .12.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 15th October 2012, 13:18

I like it for picking up things that autopickup didn't (because there's a monster around), but it annoys me when it asks how many of them I want to pick up.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 15th October 2012, 13:35

The partial pickup behaviour of ; was added (in 0.8) to maintain control parity with tiles, in which you can do partial pickup with ctrl+click (IIRC). It only triggers if there's only one item stack at your feet (you can select quantities in the pickup menu). As the help line says, you can just press ; again to pick up the whole stack. Esc and enter work too.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 20th October 2012, 20:24

Since when humans have their apts changed ? Currently men is no measure of all things anymore

Particularly, the +1 in Stealth, Evo and Inv and the -1 in Spc. Oddly enough currently no race has a reference value of 0 in Spellcasting.
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 20th October 2012, 20:33

Stealth, evo, and invo no longer cost less xp at apt 0 than most skills at apt 0. Spellcasting no longer costs more xp at apt 0 than any other skill at apt 0. The aptitudes of every race were changed.

It is a small nerf to stealth/evo/invo and a small buff to spellcasting.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 20th October 2012, 21:41

I wonder if we can take this opportunity to tweak the Human flavor a bit to something less boring than just the Default with no specific attributes of their own.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 20th October 2012, 21:57

Versatile and quick learners is good enough to me
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 21st October 2012, 02:41

How about actually arm the random humans in trunk with weapons rather than have them show up barehanded?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 21st October 2012, 04:17

I like humans as they are ... they are actually my second-most-won race (behind hill orcs), and a lot of really fun games have been my humans.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 21st October 2012, 12:25

In console most recent builds, has the reverse highlight on both player and targets been intentional ?

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 21st October 2012, 13:30

Roderic wrote:In console most recent builds, has the reverse highlight on both player and targets been intentional ?

Oups. No, it's not intentional. Fixed.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 24th October 2012, 18:40

Xion350 wrote:EDIT: Just noticed he new Contam Artefact change. Isn't this supposed to be a MAJOR negative on an item? It doesn't make sense to get contamination on unwield. Instead, It should give contam on wielding it, in addition to over time.

The level of contam it gives is very ignorable and only goes away after 250 turns.

Fixed the amount of contamination being too low to have an effect most of the time, thanks. As was already explained in the commit message for the change itself, contamination over time doesn't work as an artefact property so that's why it doesn't give contamination over time. Having it trigger on unwield (rather than both wield and unwield) is mostly just to be less mean when such items are equip-ID'd.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 24th October 2012, 20:28

Moved the cleave posts to the cleave topic (stupid useless generic thread will probably get locked someday).

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 24th October 2012, 20:30

Yes, I would also rather people make proper topics for things that are actually worth discussing instead of having to trawl through a lot of useless stuff. "Random trunk questions" would be more appropriate in one of the other forums perhaps.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 24th October 2012, 20:38

That's settled then. No generic thread in GDD. If it's not worth the poster's time to come up with a good title, it's not worth our time.
Previous

Return to Game Design Discussion