Monster invocations / god abilities

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 24th July 2012, 00:25

Monster invocations / god abilities

An idea that I've had brewing in the back of my mind has been to allow monsters to use divine abilities - that is, if a monster is assigned a god, they should be able to use the abilities associated with that god.

After a flurry of work, I've done enough work to show everyone an implementation of that idea. Behold: http://gitorious.org/crawl/crawl/commits/mons-gods

Very few monsters at this point are generated with deities, so if you're interested in testing this, I suggest you select an appropriate template monster (vault guards have been very good for this, at least for the fighting-type gods) and assign them the appropriate deity (and perhaps hd:16 or hd:20 - the former will assign them ****** piety, and the latter will give them an effective maximum piety); in most cases, the monster will then have their equipment (or spell set, for the magic-oriented gods) adjusted to suit their new divine inspiration. (Heavily Invocations-based deities such as Elyvilon or Zin will also benefit from their followers having the priest_spells flag set.) For maximum entertainment, pit groups of about ten followers against each other in the Arena; this will give you a good feel for how the followers of a particular deity work out.

In actual gameplay, I envision most of these abilities will be limited to special monsters (uniques and/or vault-placed monsters), but there's an argument to be made for some regular monsters to have these abilities (abyssal knights roaming the Abyss, anyone?).

I look forward to hearing your discussion and feedback. :)

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 24th July 2012, 01:00

Re: Monster invocations / god abilities

So you're saying that the enchanted forest branch (that will be taking one of the pan runes fr) will have fedhas worshipping spriggan priests? Hmmmmmmmm

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 24th July 2012, 01:29

I love the idea. All sorts of ideas are stewing about in my mind. Just two games ago, I came across an Ashenzari altar vault with walls that turned to glass and a "see what I see" message. Adding these monsters into the game gives all sorts of new tools to vault makers and would tip me over the edge into actually learning how to make them. It also opens up some uniques to true God worship instead of just giving them abilities that mimic them.

Couple problems though..

Will ely worshipers try to pacify the player?
Will trog worshipers be able to burn spellbooks?
What about zin abilities on the player? Fedhas? All seem troublesome.
Will lugonu worshipers be able to use corruption?
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 24th July 2012, 01:41

As implemented at present:

twelwe wrote:Will ely worshipers try to pacify the player?
No, though neutral Elyvilon followers (which is the default state for them) will heal the player, and hostile Elyvilon followers will pacify your minions.

twelwe wrote:Will trog worshipers be able to burn spellbooks?
At present, no, and that's not necessarily going to be implemented, similar to how Nemelex monsters won't sacrifice everything in sight. The only abilities I've done that impact items on the floor are corpse-related - Fedhas abilities (creating toadstools and spores) and Kiku's corpse torment.

twelwe wrote:What about zin abilities on the player? Fedhas?
Are there specific abilities that you think will cause problems? (No, a Zin priest cannot turn the player into a pillar of salt, or otherwise afflict them permanently; most of the worst Recite effects are turned into confusion or paralysis instead.)

twelve wrote:Will lugonu worshipers be able to use corruption?
Yes, though it is a once-per-level occurrence across all Lugonu followers (including the player). This likely means there shouldn't be too many high-level Lugonu followers let loose (there was a suggestion on IRC earlier, for example, to buff Louise's level to that point and place her later in the dungeon).

...edit:
twelve wrote:I came across an Ashenzari altar vault with walls that turned to glass and a "see what I see" message.
That's one of my vaults, and I'm glad you like it. :)

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 24th July 2012, 02:14

I am emphatically opposed to adding any more sources of paralysis into this game.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 24th July 2012, 04:19

I think the obvious question is what happens if you run into one of these devout critters and you have the same god. The Beogh heretics fighting for to prove who's worthy logic won't apply to all the gods- in fact, it goes pretty solidly against the flavor of some.

Do they become allied (pff, course not), friendly, neutral, pacified, or fight as normal? Does the behavior vary by god, perhaps? Or you could always just lock out spawning devotees of the player's god (although that could be circumvented if the player avoids the monster, changes gods, and re-encounters later).

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 24th July 2012, 12:32

This is neat! I can imagine some fairly low-piety god powers being really really dangerous in the hands of monsters (Brothers in Arms, I'm looking at you) but that can all be balanced, I think.

@mageykun: I suspect that the only dudes who would wind up being anything other than hostile would be followers of the Good Gods, similar to how holies treat players now.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 24th July 2012, 19:07

I think Fedhas and Jiyva followers would at least be neutral to the player if they have the same god as well. All the rest of the non-evil/good/chaotic gods, it could go either way really.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 25th July 2012, 00:54

In the Crawl canon, there aren't actually sentient Jiyva worshippers other than TRJ, Dissolution, and (sometimes) the player -- that's why her altars vanish after killing TRJ if you aren't a follower. Technically, leaving Dissolution alive really should preserve Jiyva's altars as well -- though this is an awfully rare edge case.

It'd be... interesting... if Dissolution got a Slimify attack :)
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 25th July 2012, 01:04

I agree that there shouldn't be any other Jiyva worshipers other than TRJ and Dissolution.

Although it might be interesting to put uniques that didn't spawn in other branches in the slime pits as slimes of Jiyva. e.g. "You notice a jelly {Sigmund}. The jelly {Sigmund} invokes the powers of Jiyva! You die."
Dearest Steve
thanks for the gym equipment
the plane crashed

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 25th July 2012, 02:42

Just like anything which gives monsters the powers of a player character, this is a bad idea. Because now all changes to the player character must be considered in light of how a monster will use it.
(p.s. this is stupid some dev please make it not stupid) - minmay

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 25th July 2012, 02:45

Not necessarily. Nowhere did he say all God worshiping monsters are guaranteed all of that God's powers.
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 25th July 2012, 02:53

Yah, so now we have to decide which God changes will be applicable to monsters and which won't be.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 25th July 2012, 02:54

Yah, so now we have to decide which God changes will be applicable to monsters and which won't be. It seems a lot more complicated than just changing whatever monsters you want to change unilaterally.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 25th July 2012, 03:24

sardonica wrote:Yah, so now we have to decide which God changes will be applicable to monsters and which won't be. It seems a lot more complicated than just changing whatever monsters you want to change unilaterally.

Traditionally, when a player-controlled ability gets nerfed because it's stupid-overpowered, monsters with an ability based off that player ability get to keep it in its full stupid-overpowered glory. That's why ghosts of your spellcasting characters suddenly learn to throw their Sticky Flame or start summoning wildly more powerful creatures than they ever could have before.

For instance, Wiglaf is already flavored as a devotee of Okawaru. He got to keep Might and Haste as invocations rather than changing to Heroism and Finesse, so he still gets good damage even while he trivially prevents you from running away.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 25th July 2012, 04:31

sardonica wrote:Yah, so now we have to decide which God changes will be applicable to monsters and which won't be.

You say this like it is some kind of insurmountable burden

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 25th July 2012, 16:29

twelwe wrote:
sardonica wrote:Yah, so now we have to decide which God changes will be applicable to monsters and which won't be.

You say this like it is some kind of insurmountable burden

Mr Kobold actually gives a good example. Did anyone consider little ol' Wiglaf when they made the changes to Okawaru?

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 29th July 2012, 05:11

sgrunt: Many thanks! This has been on certain developers' wishlists for ages (I know that Erik and Darshan always wanted this).

Hopefully I get around to playing with mumra's Demigod patch at some point (this is where you collect 'abstract followers' as a demigod). That will make good use of custom uniques with god powers (these are what the gods would throw at you to show your inferiority).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 29th July 2012, 05:28

Do monsters lose piety / have to regain piety to re-use divine abilities or is there a time limit between uses?

Would something like this concept be used to revisit existing monsters with divine abilities (Orc Priests)?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 29th July 2012, 12:56

It is a perfect chance to allow some banished monsters to return from the Abyss as Lugonites
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 29th July 2012, 16:19

Roderic wrote:It is a perfect chance to allow some banished monsters to return from the Abyss as Lugonites

That would work a little better if banishment were still a spell. As is, it would be a little weird if Lucy rewarded your AK feeding creatures to the abyss by freeing them, duplicating your powerset for them, and then sending them back to kill you.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 29th July 2012, 17:52

There's always distortion. And decks, right?

Maybe the elven halls should feature some lucy lovin' orc bands that lost their run-ins with the elven banishers.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 29th July 2012, 18:03

Banished uniques coming out as lugonu worshipers is such a great idea! I agree that it should only apply to uniques banished by a non-lugonu worshiping wielder of distortion. There should be an upon-banishment chance here - these are made up numbers - 10% chance they spawn on another level (they escaped the abyss) 85% chance they'll be stuck there, 5% chance they spawn on another level as a lugonu worshiper. This is a nice opportunity for a message on entering: You sense some great power warping the fabric of space. Something powerful has returned to fight again! If you fight a lugonu worshiper while wielding distortion, it would be awesome if they could escape the abyss at full health after possibly being banished by the player.

o_O

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 30th July 2012, 15:55

What about Sif followers with actual spells and actual mana pools? Or maybe just a Sif spellcaster unique at first, with channeling and some spells from a random book or two.

dpeg wrote:Hopefully I get around to playing with mumra's Demigod patch at some point (this is where you collect 'abstract followers' as a demigod). That will make good use of custom uniques with god powers (these are what the gods would throw at you to show your inferiority).

This would be a good way to generate followers of otherwise rare gods, in addition to being lots of fun for demigods.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 7th August 2012, 06:02

There should be some kobold pack that worship Trog take place of kobold demonologists. I really like how Saint Roka and Margery and Azreal etc have entourages and wish that kind of thing was more common than with uniques, goblins, gnolls, merfolk, kobolds, etc. But demonologists are just annother generic boring summoner, where a Trog pack or even a devout Exalted Kobold who could use BoA would be refreshing. Other species need more of this.

For this message the author twelwe has received thanks:
palin

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 7th August 2012, 16:19

I've had the idea in the back of my mind for a while to introduce a basic kobold berserker enemy (after all, it works pretty well for adventurers, so why wouldn't the kobolds themselves think of it?); perhaps there could be two variants - a regular semi-low-level version and an "elite kobold berserker" that has BiA - to fit with your concept.

For this message the author sgrunt has received thanks:
palin

Return to Game Design Discussion