Remove Slow from Wizard book?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 18th July 2012, 05:56

Remove Slow from Wizard book?

I've been playing a few wizards lately and I think the Slow spell could be done away with. The basic function of the spell is to hamper enemies from getting at you, slowing either their movement or actions. This same purpose is better served by any of four other spells also in the book:
- Blink: everyone gets this spell and it addresses the movement issue - you can use it to quickly put space between yourself and the baddies, but in a more interesting way - it's random and there's a risk to it.
- Call Imp: Imps will attack and distract your opponents, reducing both the movement and actions that are directed at the player. It slows them while also doing damage.
- Conjure flame: can block a corridor, stopping their movement entirely, and has other uses too such as damaging undead or high HD monsters that wade through it, and creating steam
- Mephitic Cloud: confuses baddies, which essentially neutralizes them, and can also cause them to damage themselves.

So there's not much of a business case for adding Slow to memory, and it's an utterly boring spell to boot. It might help if it was L1 and there was also some visual indication that it was doing something, but that still wouldn't address the basic redundancy.

It could be replaced by another L2 spell. I haven't decided which to argue for yet, so I'll just go through all the L2 spells in turn:
- Swiftness - probably redundant in light of blink, but would still be better than slow
- Fire Brand / Freezing Aura / Lethal Infusion - these are melee oriented and don't really fit in the Wizard book
- Shroud of Golubria - again, melee-oriented. Would also be a second Tloc spell and it seems the theme of the Wizard book is to spread across all the schools
- Sure Blade - melee oriented.
- Evaporate - not much use without fulsome distillation, and is a distinguishing spell of the transmuter class (or is it still?)
- Ensorcelled Hibernation - this is the key early spell of the Enchanter class and would be a huge overlap
- Projected Noise - Not really a much better spell than Slow, actually probably worse, but a) no other class starts with it, and b) it does do something that you can't really accomplish with the other Wizard book spells. It does seem like something a "Wizard" would do though - misdirection.
- Corpse Rot - this could be good. It's in a different school, it offers very different mechanics from the other spells. But I'm guessing there's some reason to not have necro spells for wizards.
- Sublimation of Blood. Also possibly good. If there's one thing wizards need it's MP, so it would make sense that they'd have a means to recover it. Also does something totally different from the other spells.
- Cure poison - also not a super spell, but does something different and could be a life-saver in the early game.
- Portal Projectile - overlaps with warper and doesn't really fit Wizard game. Would make more sense for Arcane Marksman to have this.
- Sticks to Snakes - a key transmuter spell
- Stoneskin - melee-oriented

In addition, there are some potential L1 spells:
- Confusing Touch - It's a hex so it keeps the same mix of schools, Wizards start bare-handed and they might actually use it. But again, there is a fair overlap in the mechanic it serves - hindering baddies. Still, it might be better than slow. While it is done in a melee context, it is more a way of getting out of a sticky situation as a Wizard might need to. It would be like Obi Wan Kenobi "These are not the Droids you're looking for".
- Apportation - This is totally something a Wizard would have in his bag of tricks. Except it's a second apportation spell. But it's consistent with the general gameplay approach of not wading out into danger but instead dealing with things at a distance, but not in a conjurations way, and yet it does something different than handicapping baddies.
- Summon Butterflies - probably too good a spell, and would be a second summoning spell, and also serves the same basic purpose of hindering baddies, albeit a little more differently

And some other spells that I thought might fit the Wizard flavour:
L3 spells:
- Flight

L4
- See Invisible

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 18th July 2012, 07:07

Re: Remove Slow from Wizard book?

I think most people ignore the Slow spell when playina a Wz, and buffing one of the better (or ever one of the best) spellbooks is unnecessary IMHO.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 18th July 2012, 07:21

I rarely play wizards, but when I do I don't learn Slow, so this is definitely a good idea. I suggest adding one of Sublimation of Blood, Confusing Touch, Apportation, See Invisible and <nothing> (probably one of the latter three) to the book of Minor Magic.

Another note about wizards that maybe the "kill everthing nontrivial with a horde of imps" strategy should be restricted to Summoners (personally I don't like wizards because I don't like spamming imps, but maybe they can be played differently and just I'm bad at playing them) and they could get Summon Butterflies or Summon Elemental instead of it as a Summoning spell [of course this requires more adjustments in their books].

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 18th July 2012, 08:05

onton wrote:I think most people ignore the Slow spell when playina a Wz, and buffing one of the better (or ever one of the best) spellbooks is unnecessary IMHO.

I'm not necessarily suggesting a buff.

If people ignore the spell, it may as well be removed.

If it is removed, something else could be added that would make them more interesting, not necessarily more powerful. E.g. apportation or projected noise or confusing touch.

I agree with the comment about Imps, that should be left to summoners. It is too powerful and defining a tactic. I'd support replacing it with summon butterflies (which maybe should be an L2 spell?) or with sublimation of blood. Although a necro spell, it doesn't overlap with the whole necromancer playstyle nearly as much as summon imps overlaps with summoners.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 18th July 2012, 08:58

danr wrote:
onton wrote:I think most people ignore the Slow spell when playina a Wz, and buffing one of the better (or ever one of the best) spellbooks is unnecessary IMHO.

I'm not necessarily suggesting a buff.

If people ignore the spell, it may as well be removed.

If it is removed, something else could be added that would make them more interesting, not necessarily more powerful. E.g. apportation or projected noise or confusing touch.

I agree with the comment about Imps, that should be left to summoners. It is too powerful and defining a tactic. I'd support replacing it with summon butterflies (which maybe should be an L2 spell?) or with sublimation of blood. Although a necro spell, it doesn't overlap with the whole necromancer playstyle nearly as much as summon imps overlaps with summoners.

Adding anything instead of something completely useless is technically a buff and replacing a junk spell with another junk spell is useless.:) I cannot say if people use Slow as Wz, I personally don't, but there is a lot of better players around. I think apportation is far more useful than slow for a wizzie, so it is a buff. Removing slow might be an option, but again - it might be a nerf for some people who use it and a nerf is not what you originally meant if I understand you correctly.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 18th July 2012, 10:12

Apportation, projected noise, and summon butterflies absolutely do not need to be more common.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 18th July 2012, 13:34

Okay, so maybe it is a slight buff. Bear in mind though that most wizards will go Vehumet or Sif Muna. They are going to have access to all the spells they need and then some anyway. This just adds a bit more variety to their early game.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 18th July 2012, 13:52

I think the wizard book is among the ones with the most potential for hybridization. Slow might be ignored if you take the caster way, but it's a decent debuff if you hybridize into melee. The point of slow isn't just to prevent a monster from reaching you, it's also a strong debuff. Fighting a slowed monster is the same as hasting yourself. IMHO, removing it would reduce the variety of ways to develop a wizard.
Also, if slow is underused, it's mostly because it's outshine by summon imps. Once we figure out how to cap summons, slow might see more uses by wizards. There was also talk about buffing the weak hexes by making them harder to resist, but I can't remember if it was only vs player, or also vs monster.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks: 2
CommanderC, Tiber

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 18th July 2012, 13:55

danr wrote:Okay, so maybe it is a slight buff. Bear in mind though that most wizards will go Vehumet or Sif Muna. They are going to have access to all the spells they need and then some anyway. This just adds a bit more variety to their early game.

Well, the early game is the relevant bit when you're talking about background changes. "Wizards will probably get access to summon butterflies later anyway" is not a good argument in favour of giving them summon butterflies at level 1.

galehar wrote:There was also talk about buffing the weak hexes by making them harder to resist, but I can't remember if it was only vs player, or also vs monster.

Player-cast slow actually already has a bonus to its effective power (similar to Agony and a few other spells). I'd agree that getting some form of summon cap implemented is probably a more worthwhile change.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 18th July 2012, 14:33

I might like to see it replaced with some other hex of maybe level 2. EH is a good idea (it even lets Wz train more spell skills if they like) but maybe steps on En's toes a bit (although they still lack confuse/enslave/invisibility.)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 18th July 2012, 15:28

Looking over the Hexes list, Slow is probably the perfect spell to be slotted in there. The theme of the Wz starting spellbook is generalization. Removing it means wizards don't have a Hexes spell to start off. Replacing it either makes the book too strong or pushes characters toward specific play styles. (Stabbing, in the case of Ensorcelled Hibernation)

Corona would synergize with Summon Imp, but is only better than Slow insofar as it reveals invisible creatures. When you consider all the various applications of the Slow spell, I think it's undervalued.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 18th July 2012, 15:32

Yeah, Slow is fine.

dd

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 18th July 2012, 16:13

I've never had much use for slow as a wiz but I can't think of a better one.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 18th July 2012, 16:17

When playing Wizards, even pure-caster Wizards, Slow is a major go-to spell of mine for dealing with spiny frogs. It also sees significant use against other enemies that Mephitic Cloud can't disable.

If Slow isn't being used, it's not because it's a bad spell for Minor Magic.
Just a well-spoken spambot.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 18th July 2012, 18:14

galehar wrote:There was also talk about buffing the weak hexes by making them harder to resist, but I can't remember if it was only vs player, or also vs monster.

When I suggested this, I was only talking about monsters casting them. Especially spells like slow, blink other, etc, which you pretty much never get hit by past the early game.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 18th July 2012, 18:15

- Blink: everyone gets this spell and it addresses the movement issue - you can use it to quickly put space between yourself and the baddies, but in a more interesting way - it's random and there's a risk to it.
- Call Imp: Imps will attack and distract your opponents, reducing both the movement and actions that are directed at the player. It slows them while also doing damage.
- Conjure flame: can block a corridor, stopping their movement entirely, and has other uses too such as damaging undead or high HD monsters that wade through it, and creating steam
- Mephitic Cloud: confuses baddies, which essentially neutralizes them, and can also cause them to damage themselves.

Keep slow. Remove/change/nerf these. If I had to pick two, blink and Meph cloud. Flame and imp are at least situational.

Edit-
And since it was mentioned the whole MR resist thing could probably use a look at from both sides. The fact that confuse, a single target skill NAMED CONFUSE, is almost always worse than meph and evaporate is really really stupid.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 18th July 2012, 19:09

Eji1700 wrote:Edit-
And since it was mentioned the whole MR resist thing could probably use a look at from both sides. The fact that confuse, a single target skill NAMED CONFUSE, is almost always worse than meph and evaporate is really really stupid.

It is by no means "almost always worse than meph and evaporate." It has an entirely different set of rules governing it, which means that it can confuse a lot of monsters that those cannot (undead being the primary example here). It has a different set of uses, but not by any means a strictly inferior one.

dd

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 18th July 2012, 19:18

This one time I was fighting a skeletal warrior and I usually try to lure them into conjure flames, and then try to keep them there a while... well this guy was getting a bit too personal so I blinked without thinking and don't you know I hit right into that flame and lost a couple of scrolls right away...

But that's not all - due to some amazing brain fart, I blinked a second time a couple turns later and landed in that same flame cloud, and lost more scrolls... I felt so stupid that day.

Eji1700 wrote:Keep slow. Remove/change/nerf these. If I had to pick two, blink and Meph cloud.

Mephitic cloud shouldn't be nerfed anymore, it's not really that powerful once you get past the beginning, in fact it pretty much loses it's usefulness after Orc.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 18th July 2012, 20:07

Ignite poison on meph cloud? Poor man's flame cloud?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 18th July 2012, 21:05

Poor man's Fire Storm. (A very poor man.) And unlike Conjure Flame, you can drop it right on a monster's head.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

dd

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 18th July 2012, 21:18

Well yeah, with ignite poison it maintains some utility, but then it's not just meph anymore... learning both meph and ip takes up 8 spell levels, and it's not all that powerful really. Well, unless you get attacked by a horde of ice beasts...

Return to Game Design Discussion