A few ideas on improved game play

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 3rd July 2012, 05:39

A few ideas on improved game play

During the play, when the player encounters a monster that cannot cross a landscape barrier, yet is within the line of sight, could not the player have the option to rest and recover? For example, if the player encounters jackals or wolves, but they are on the other side of a river of deep water or lava, and the monster is unable to cross such void, why would the player in a typical natural environment of identical condition not be able to rest and recover? Even if the monster encounter was a band of Kobolds, I would think the player could be given the opportunity to rest and recover, unless the band is equipped with range weapons. As the game is currently configured, it is like saying, I am off to war, but I can't make camp on the other side of the river just out of reach from the Enemy.

Also, the game has the shallow water implementation. What if there were more of the same? Movement penalties for crossing rough terrain, say rough rocky ground. The game is in an underground environment most of the time, but there is nothing like rubbled ground that could slow progress. Slippery terrain such as ice and slime would slow progress, and possibly even become a pitfall if one was to slide into deep water. If one had quality foot wear, such as spiked boots, such obstacles could be avoided.

Another possible encounter that is often over looked is the environment. Earthquakes can cause someone to move as though they are confused. Falling rocks traps can add flavor to the trap list. Most of the game is underground. If one could fall through the floor into a level or two below (yet not take damage, which is another odd thing) why could not the ceiling fall down upon them?

Just a few thoughts. What say you?

Regards,
Thurman
One out of fouw people suffews fwom Ewmuh Fudd Syndwome. Guess whaaat?

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 3rd July 2012, 07:30

Re: A few ideas on improved game play

"Falling rocks traps can add flavor to the trap list."

Adding stuff just for flavour isn't the crawl way. How would this be functionally different from, say, a spear trap?

"why would the player in a typical natural environment of identical condition not be able to rest and recover?"

You can. Use <.> or move 2 squares to the left or right. Also this could lead to broken behaviour (ie, I see a bunch of monsters to the left, across a river. I haven't yet explored to the south, where the river continues. Try to rest. If I can rest, I know that the river forms an island, if I can't I know there's an opening)
(p.s. this is stupid some dev please make it not stupid) - minmay

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 3rd July 2012, 08:06

Thurman wrote:During the play, when the player encounters a monster that cannot cross a landscape barrier, yet is within the line of sight, could not the player have the option to rest and recover?

Actually you can. Unless the monster on the other side is sleeping, because the game thinks that maybe you want to go around and try to stab it. It's rarely useful and also weird, because it gives the impression that sleeping monsters are more dangerous than awake. Maybe we should remove it.
Also, in 0.10, you can't if the monster can use items, because you never know if it might be hiding a wand or darts. In trunk it's changed a bit and you can rest unless you've seen the monster use a ranged attack, or if it has ranged spells.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 3rd July 2012, 15:23

galehar wrote: Unless the monster on the other side is sleeping, because the game thinks that maybe you want to go around and try to stab it. It's rarely useful and also weird, because it gives the impression that sleeping monsters are more dangerous than awake. Maybe we should remove it.

Oh huh, that always confused me. I'd definitely agree with removing that restriction, it's very annoying.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 3rd July 2012, 20:04

I would like to see some monsters use Leda's Liquefaction, though.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 3rd July 2012, 20:53

BlackSheep wrote:I would like to see some monsters use Leda's Liquefaction, though.

There's a new Chei altar vault that has two statues that cast Leda's.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 4th July 2012, 00:06

BlackSheep wrote:I would like to see some monsters use Leda's Liquefaction, though.

Personally I'd like a "Medusa" naga unique with petrify (and maybe LRD), leda's, and maybe a summon like earth elementals or snakes. Yes, I know Medusa has been done to death in fiction, but this game is lacking in both non-human uniques and monsters using earth spells.

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 4th July 2012, 01:13

sardonica wrote:"Falling rocks traps can add flavor to the trap list."

Adding stuff just for flavour isn't the crawl way. How would this be functionally different from, say, a spear trap?

"why would the player in a typical natural environment of identical condition not be able to rest and recover?"

You can. Use <.> or move 2 squares to the left or right. Also this could lead to broken behaviour (ie, I see a bunch of monsters to the left, across a river. I haven't yet explored to the south, where the river continues. Try to rest. If I can rest, I know that the river forms an island, if I can't I know there's an opening)

There was a time when I was on level 1 in a room that had 4 doors in the corners and lava rivers as the walls. I had little magic and little health and no weapon as one had not made itself available too me. I had closed all the doors, but was unable to rest because the hounds were in line of sight. Obviously these canine where untrained as to how to open doors, but I had a bugger of a time gaining my health and magic back to do battle with them. It's the same thing with fish in the water. When surrounded by four lakes, it make little sense to allow a fish to become your undoing.

Falling rock traps are not meant to be like a spear or dart trap, they are meant to be like the shaft trap. When it falls, it doesn't fall again. It could be like a wall segment that would have to have a digging applied to it. Careful implementation would be needed as to not trap someone on a level where they couldn't get out, but then again...it's not impossible to do. Strategy could be to place such a trap in front of stairs then the player would have to have a digging to apply or face insurmountable odds. Of course this kind of trap could only be used deep into the dungeon to keep from one not having a fair chance of having a defense against it. (just an idea)

Regards,
Thurman
Attachments
goldfish.jpg
0.11-a0-2499-g1240bde
Resting here not allowed.
goldfish.jpg (59.3 KiB) Viewed 2046 times
One out of fouw people suffews fwom Ewmuh Fudd Syndwome. Guess whaaat?

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 4th July 2012, 08:21

There are vaults that drop a grate behind you when you step away from the stairs. You have to dig, or find another upstair. This is a lot like the falling rock thing you suggest.

Return to Game Design Discussion