Post Monday, 2nd July 2012, 16:10

Okawaru Piety Change Feedback

I love it. Okawaru's new piety doesn't affect her power level that much, but its other benefits are all positive. God gifts are a case of direct divine intervention, so it is nice when they feel like rewards or aid in times of need. With old piety, Okawaru would give you gifts basically on a clock, and clearing areas with tons of weak monsters that pose no threat would give you lots of gifts. This was mostly relevant in Orcish Mines, which used to be a piety buffet for Oka worshippers. Now, it's not so much that. However, the piety you get for killing 'big' monsters is more dramatic. I like this because it means if you are fighting in dangerous areas, Okawaru is rewarding you for it. This is quite apt for the god of war.

General points that I like:

A) It is intuitive what will give you good piety and what won't give you piety.
B) It feels more engaging to get gifts right after killing dangerous monsters like hill giants early on or ood monsters in general.
C) I have had a lot of good moments in game with new Oka gifts because they feel like they are timed either to reward me for a tough battle or they show up in the middle of one, giving me something that helps me win it. The other day I had a spas get gifted needles of sleep while fighting a bunch of tough dudes. The needles helped me win that fight and I got gifted more at the end too. These are good moments for god gifting. A week ago I got the dire elephant ending and I was being gifted ammunition very often while killing them. It was an engaging battle and having Okawaru seem like she is watching me was a very positive experience.

Further suggestions:

A) Perhaps Okawaru should sometimes delay gifts until high tension situations arrive? This would be best for ammo gifts. The intention is to make his gifting feel more like divine intervention- so really dramatic and helpful.
B) If Okawaru would gift you a terrible item, just skip the gift. -1 wizard hats dilute the good feeling you get from receiving a gift. It would be a better experience overall to be gifted less often than to receive trash.
C) I would like to see Trog's piety and gifts be tweaked as well. I guess the way Trog piety works now is theme-appropriate since Trog just wants you to kill all the dudes. The gift clock still feels pretty bad. It is mostly monotonous and becomes less relevant as the game goes on. Why bother with periodic gifts if at some point the player is going to stop caring about them?