Deep water, Lava, and Dig.

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 28th June 2012, 20:57

Deep water, Lava, and Dig.

It seems that when you when a wall is in some way removed, if there is lava or deep water next to it, the water or lava should:
A. Have a chance to flood the area that is next to the wall that is dug
B. If a`square that was dug is flooded, then the water may possibly flood into the area you were in a bit. Deep water farther out is shallow water.

This would add an interesting mechanic into the game. Currently there are many stealth tricks you can do with items or spells that remove wall. This would make the reckless use of wands of digging, disintegration, and the LRD spell a bit risky. (you could drown or be incinerated)

If no one else wants to do this patch, I'll do it, and it'll be my first. (I am very experienced with backend programming in C++ and want to get on the dev team)
Jabberwocky wrote:You came back on the forums. Everything in the corner has been worse since 11/4/12. It got better when you left, but now it's bad again.

"You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas's attack!"

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 28th June 2012, 21:23

Re: Deep water, Lava, and Dig.

Yes, the chance to just randomly die when I use digging sounds like a great thing to add to crawl.

For this message the author crate has received thanks: 6
danharaj, ebarrett, pivotal, rebthor, Roderic, Xan

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 28th June 2012, 21:34

I always thought it would be neat for this mechanic to be included, but I have to agree with crate that this would be a pretty lame way to die. If it was just the one specifc tile that got filled in it would avoid the insta-death, but maybe have each adjoining lava/water tile have a % chance to spread to the new open tile. It wouldn't always happen and would mean that sometimes when you dig a tunnel it fills up farther than other times.
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 28th June 2012, 21:38

bobross419 wrote:I always thought it would be neat for this mechanic to be included, but I have to agree with crate that this would be a pretty lame way to die. If it was just the one specifc tile that got filled in it would avoid the insta-death, but maybe have each adjoining lava/water tile have a % chance to spread to the new open tile. It wouldn't always happen and would mean that sometimes when you dig a tunnel it fills up farther than other times.

This is actually what I meant. Sometimes nothing happens, sometimes it fills up a little, and sometimes it floods out into the hallway, each with a decreasing chance.
Jabberwocky wrote:You came back on the forums. Everything in the corner has been worse since 11/4/12. It got better when you left, but now it's bad again.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 28th June 2012, 21:41

giygas wrote:
bobross419 wrote:I always thought it would be neat for this mechanic to be included, but I have to agree with crate that this would be a pretty lame way to die. If it was just the one specifc tile that got filled in it would avoid the insta-death, but maybe have each adjoining lava/water tile have a % chance to spread to the new open tile. It wouldn't always happen and would mean that sometimes when you dig a tunnel it fills up farther than other times.

This is actually what I meant. Sometimes nothing happens, sometimes it fills up a little, and sometimes it floods out into the hallway, each with a decreasing chance.

You had me until "floods". If it was just the tile that was dug I wouldn't have a problem with it and would effectively shut down crate's above argument (which is likely to be echoed by a lot of other people).
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 28th June 2012, 22:17

bobross419 wrote:
giygas wrote:

You had me until "floods". If it was just the tile that was dug I wouldn't have a problem with it and would effectively shut down crate's above argument (which is likely to be echoed by a lot of other people).

This would happen rarely. Like 1/50 or 1/100 chance. But it adds an element of risk to the usage of digging, an element of risk that is currently absent.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 28th June 2012, 22:30

A 2% chance to instakill yourself with something means you should never use that thing. Tiny chances add up over the course of a lengthy game.

Why would dig-stabbing even need a nerf, anyway? Wands of digging are a charged consumable, so you'll run out sooner or later, and using your resources is the entire point of having them.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 28th June 2012, 23:52

KoboldLord wrote: Wands of digging are a charged consumable

The dig spell is renewable.
The LRD spell is renewable.
Shatter ( :? ) is even renewable.

Wands of digging and disintegration are for n00bs (or melee characters, but what's the difference :lol: )

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 29th June 2012, 00:06

If you've got the xp to spare that you can dump that much xp into earth magic to get those online, you're allowed to have it do something useful. You've got to train up four separate skills to get stabbing from the Dig spell.

I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room, and that is almost literally exactly what it is. It is good for stealing Runes without fighting, but it certainly doesn't accomplish that by stealth!

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks: 3
onton, rebthor, tcjsavannah

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 29th June 2012, 00:08

Isn't shatter the loudest spell in the game, or at least tied for loudest?

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 29th June 2012, 00:24

This would make sense in NetHack, not in Crawl.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 29th June 2012, 00:47

Nethack does work like that, but only for digging *down* on a tile adjacent to a fluid tile. Even in Nethack, water and lava don't suddenly lurch uphill if you take out part of the wall.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 29th June 2012, 01:38

KoboldLord wrote: suddenly lurch uphill

How do you know you aren't digging at a downward angle? Crawl is top-down.

For this message the author giygas has received thanks:
pivotal

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 29th June 2012, 02:05

Best post ever.

For this message the author bobross419 has received thanks:
DeathKnyte

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 29th June 2012, 02:44

bobross419 wrote:

Best post ever.

Agreed. My new signature also xD

Barkeep

Post Friday, 29th June 2012, 03:51

KoboldLord wrote:It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room, and that is almost literally exactly what it is.

Me: OHHHH YEAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!

Cerebov: Huh?

I think I can never not learn Shatter again.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 29th June 2012, 12:37

Kool-Aid Man worshipping Fedhas. Best challenge class ever.
  Code:
Jory screams, "No, no!" before exploding into a cloud of blood!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 29th June 2012, 13:06

Good thing I haven't gotten coffee yet, or KoboldLord would owe me a new keyboard. This is the funniest thing I've read on this site in a few months.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 29th June 2012, 14:28

danharaj wrote:Isn't shatter the loudest spell in the game, or at least tied for loudest?

Yes, I think so.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 29th June 2012, 16:38

Concisely, permanent level-changing effects are by and large frowned on unless they're destructive.

Return to Game Design Discussion