Should weapon acquirement respect religion?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 26th March 2012, 21:12

Should weapon acquirement respect religion?

I was a bit disappointed when as a worshipper of Zin, a scroll of acquirement gave me a vampiric randart lajatang. (Actually I was disappointed to get a lajatang at all, as I am a polearm wielder, but that's another story.)

I really think that when following a "good" god, if weapon acquirement is to be useful it should not give "evil" weapons, either evil brands like vampiric & draining or demonic weapon types.

For this message the author Jeremiah has received thanks:
donblas

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 26th March 2012, 22:33

Re: Should weapon acquirement respect religion?

Jeremiah wrote:if weapon acquirement is to be useful

I think the rule has always been that acquirement gives something usable, not useful.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 26th March 2012, 22:41

Acquirement is meant to be a crapshoot. Flavourwise, acquirement is magic, not religious, so there's no necessary connection between acquirement and current god.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 27th March 2012, 01:27

Except that there is a connection, since Trog users will never get staves from staff acquirement.

(incidentally, do chei worshippers ever receive wands of hasting?)
Last edited by Blade on Tuesday, 27th March 2012, 01:34, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author Blade has received thanks: 2
pratamawirya, rebthor

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 27th March 2012, 01:31

Blade wrote:(incidentally, do chei worshippere ever receive wands of hasting?)

I think I once got a wand of hasting from ?acquirement on chei worshiper.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 27th March 2012, 19:10

Use that wand of hasting on the enemy to improve Slouch damage.

EDIT: Urk. Bad info.
Last edited by Stormfox on Tuesday, 27th March 2012, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 27th March 2012, 19:22

Stormfox wrote:Use that wand of hasting (or random effects) as a worshipper of Chei regardless of target to incur divine retribution.

Fixed that for you based on an experience I had with that wand and that diety.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks: 2
rebthor, Stormfox

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 28th March 2012, 15:29

XuaXua wrote:
Stormfox wrote:Use that wand of hasting (or random effects) as a worshipper of Chei regardless of target to incur divine retribution.

I had the same experience and it nearly killed me. "Ooh, a wand of hasting. Oh, Che. Ooh, I could zap it at that oncoming hydra and slouch it in one shot. *ZAP* Oh crap, lost slouch and a rampaging, hasted hydra a few squares away now what?!" The proper answer was read a scroll of teleport to get far away and then read a scroll of blinking to survive until the teleport kicked in but damn if I wasn't scared and upset for a minute.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 28th March 2012, 19:15

rebthor wrote:I had the same experience and it nearly killed me. "Ooh, a wand of hasting. Oh, Che. Ooh, I could zap it at that oncoming hydra and slouch it in one shot. *ZAP* Oh crap, lost slouch and a rampaging, hasted hydra a few squares away now what?!" The proper answer was read a scroll of teleport to get far away and then read a scroll of blinking to survive until the teleport kicked in but damn if I wasn't scared and upset for a minute.

And that is why you test out your clever ideas in wizmode first.

Barkeep

Post Sunday, 1st April 2012, 03:11

Or a rat for this trick. Testing clever ideas in threatening situations tends to go badly for me:

"Bet you're not so big SILENCED, Mara, huh? Oh, you are? Well, I'll just read this scroll of... fuuuuuuuuuuuu"
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks:
Grimm

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 11th July 2012, 03:06

I brought this up in ##crawl-dev and I feel like it should be discussed more.

(If I understand the code correctly) acquirement as it now stands attempts to give a useable item, weighted towards something good. This means it will never generate something greyed out for your character, e.g. body armour for dracs or boots for spriggans. The inconsistencies start showing up when religion comes into play:

TSO considers invisibility useless, and forbids evil/poison. Trog considers enhancer staves useless, and forbids magic. Acquirement will never generate the former but can create the latter. From a gameplay perspective, what differences are there between these examples?

- TSO's halo nullifies invisibility, whether on you or allies or enemies. It's genuinely useless.
- Evil/Forbidden weapons could potentially have good passive bonuses, so they're not guaranteed to be completely useless.
- Enhancer staves provide passive bonuses on wield, and on the off chance that you trained the magic school before joining trog, they can get their combat bonuses. They are, actually, not completely useless in any situation, save mummies + energy.
- Trog will ditch you for learning magic, but you can burn the book. A (very small) use.

My point is that current acquirement generation seems selective in what it respects, because forbidden and useless are classified differently. How is a randart vamp lajatang under zin any more 'useable' than an enhancer staff under trog?

I believe acquirement should respect both uselessness and forbidenness.
Last edited by eeviac on Wednesday, 11th July 2012, 03:20, edited 1 time in total.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 11th July 2012, 03:13

I've tried it, and I never acquired a single spellbook under Trog. The scrolls only gave me manuals and sometimes tomes of destruction.

EDIT: And the manuals were all non-magic.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 11th July 2012, 03:19

Are you in trunk or .10? Trunk is acquiring spellbooks under trog.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 11th July 2012, 03:20

Trunk (0.11-a0-2716-g62b6e10).

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 11th July 2012, 03:23

Hm, it looks like when I create a berserker, wizmode will acquire nothing but manuals. But if I create another char (HEHu, DDWr), and convert then acquire, it creates spellbooks. This may be an unrelated bug? But I think my original points still stand.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 11th July 2012, 08:18

After I got a double sword of draining, one vampiric (fuck!) and two demon sword of mocking with my HoHe, yes I totally agree that acquirement should respect religions.

Unless the very rare case you get a forbidden randart so awesome that breaks the game, I don't believe it's worthy to abandon your chosen god, losing all his powers and benefits, possibly suffering his wrath just for one item: therefore, that item tends to be unusable.

Returning to my example: yes, a vampiric demon sword/double sword is an awesome weapon for normal game, but Elyvilon with 20+ invo is tenfold better - thanks acquirement, I've just got a item I couldn't never use.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 11th July 2012, 08:54

eeviac wrote:Hm, it looks like when I create a berserker, wizmode will acquire nothing but manuals.

Seems like what prevents a berserker from getting spellbooks is having no magic skills, not worshipping Trog. Otherwise, I kinda agree.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks: 5
BlackSheep, eeviac, nago, njvack, pratamawirya

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 11th July 2012, 16:37

rebthor wrote:
XuaXua wrote:

But what if you needed a wand of hasting for a treasure trove?

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 11th July 2012, 17:15

Since when do you actually need to use the item a treasure trove asks for?

Picking up a wand of hasting wont procure divine retribution from chei, just like picking up spellbooks is fine with trog.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 11th July 2012, 20:28

[quote="Deimos"]Since when do you actually need to use the item a treasure trove asks for?

Not needed for use, but needed for offering.
i.e. the trove wants a wand of hasting, but the character doesn't have a wand of hasting. So, given sufficient wand discovery in the game, one way to get a wand of hasting is to use a scroll of acquirement. Although if this were disallowed and wands of hasting were not given to Chei worshippers then one could abandon Chei, read the scroll of acquirement, then rejoin Chei; but that seems like a very unintuitive leap.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 11th July 2012, 21:17

but that seems like a very unintuitive leap.

I agree that something that is unintuitive but actually very helpful is probably a bad thing. However, setting your Chei piety to a very low level just for a medium chance of entering a trove seems like a big mistake to me. Chei at low piety, especially later on when sources of haste are readily available, is terrible - you get his worst penalty (no hasting allowed) and are less than speed 10, without many of his benefits. Depending on where you are in the game, this can be very risky.

Anyway, even if I'm wrong, I think that the frustration of acquiring a vampiric demon blade under Elyvilon (see: nago) exceeds the frustration of not being able to acquire the wand under Chei, and as galehar pointed out in his commit the new rules are more consistent, so I think the change seems good overall.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 11th July 2012, 21:52

Acquirement could just take the requests of known troves into account.

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 11th July 2012, 22:11

It could -- though I don't know that complexity is needed. The chances that you're following a god who hates an item, a trove is asking for that item, you haven't already found that item, and acquiring that item is a reasonably good use of your scroll seems vanishingly unlikely.

Chei and the wand of hasting sounds like about the only plausible case. Maybe good gods and demon weapons -- but acquiring weapons is quite the crapshoot...
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 11th July 2012, 23:04

Demon weapons aren't rare, find a pack or two of hell knights and a single balrug and you'll have them all.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 11th July 2012, 23:07

cerebovssquire wrote:
but that seems like a very unintuitive leap.

I agree that something that is unintuitive but actually very helpful is probably a bad thing. However, setting your Chei piety to a very low level just for a medium chance of entering a trove seems like a big mistake to me. Chei at low piety, especially later on when sources of haste are readily available, is terrible - you get his worst penalty (no hasting allowed) and are less than speed 10, without many of his benefits. Depending on where you are in the game, this can be very risky.

I think that a (30% chance of getting the wand, access to the trove, and penance) is better than a 0% chance of access to the trove. The penance issue I don't see as much of a problem since one can just regain piety. Characters can abandon gods and take on new ones all through the game. The bigger issue, in my opinion, is that unless a player was aware of this change, they wouldn't know that their chance of acquiring the wand is 0%.
This is not to say that I disagree with acquirement respecting religion, it is just that trove payment came to my mind when I read the topic.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 11th July 2012, 23:11

mageykun wrote:Acquirement could just take the requests of known troves into account.

I don't see any reason why it should. Troves aren't guaranteed after all.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 11th July 2012, 23:45

galehar wrote:
mageykun wrote:Acquirement could just take the requests of known troves into account.

I don't see any reason why it should. Troves aren't guaranteed after all.

I don't see any reason why it shouldn't. :)
Getting good items from scrolls of acquirement is not guaranteed, either, but this whole thread is about taking away frustration. I don't see why you would take away some frustration but then add it in somewhere else. I guess either way is not a big deal, the information could just be added to the knowledge bot as a means of informing players.

Somewhat off-topic, but do players really use scrolls of acquirement for weapons? I just can't imagine wasting a scroll like that, unless it is far better than Okawaru gifting. Weapons along with enchantment scrolls and books with vorpalizeable buffs are lying around the dungeon; while getting a good set of jewellry or a complete wand set seems a far better use of acquirement scrolls. But who knows, maybe I'm missing out.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 11th July 2012, 23:51

A game change always introduces frustration while removing it. This particular change seems to remove a great deal more frustration than it adds. Your scenario seems a bit remote, although possible (especially counting how many games are played every day). On the other hand, acquirement with so many conduct gods is bound to produce more frustrating moments than what you suggest. It seems like a net positive.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 12th July 2012, 00:34

Tenaya wrote:Somewhat off-topic, but do players really use scrolls of acquirement for weapons? I just can't imagine wasting a scroll like that, unless it is far better than Okawaru gifting.

Scroll weapon acquirement is far better than god weapon acquirement, yes.

For this message the author Kate has received thanks:
Tenaya

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 12th July 2012, 04:30

Tenaya wrote:Somewhat off-topic, but do players really use scrolls of acquirement for weapons? I just can't imagine wasting a scroll like that, unless it is far better than Okawaru gifting. Weapons along with enchantment scrolls and books with vorpalizeable buffs are lying around the dungeon; while getting a good set of jewellry or a complete wand set seems a far better use of acquirement scrolls. But who knows, maybe I'm missing out.

Weapon acquirement is far better than jewellery acquirement in general; it is one of the best choices when you get an early acquirement scroll (especially if you aren't worshiping a gifting god). As MarvinPA said, it is much better than god weapon gifts; it is heavily weighted towards weapons you haven't seen before and weapons of the same type as your highest skill. For example, a long blades user would be very likely to get a demon blade, a double sword, or a triple sword, often with useful brands or artefact properties.

For this message the author Blade has received thanks: 2
njvack, Tenaya

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 12th July 2012, 06:51

Tenaya wrote:Getting good items from scrolls of acquirement is not guaranteed, either, but this whole thread is about taking away frustration.

Not getting useless items from acquirement is guaranteed, and that's what this thread is about. And consistency.

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 12th July 2012, 20:46

galehar wrote:
Tenaya wrote:Getting good items from scrolls of acquirement is not guaranteed, either, but this whole thread is about taking away frustration.

Not getting useless items from acquirement is guaranteed, and that's what this thread is about. And consistency.

Please don't get me wrong, it is a good change. My only point is that trove-requirments are not useless items. Therefore, I think that including trove-requirements into account with acquirement would be a happy thing. And I think that not doing so would be spoilery. (I think that sums up my point, so I'll drop it from here.)

Also, it doesn't seem such a corner-case to me. I am quite accustomed to seeing a wand of healing or hasting as a trove-requirement.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 12th July 2012, 23:37

Tenaya wrote:I think that a (30% chance of getting the wand, access to the trove, and penance) is better than a 0% chance of access to the trove. The penance issue I don't see as much of a problem since one can just regain piety. Characters can abandon gods and take on new ones all through the game. The bigger issue, in my opinion, is that unless a player was aware of this change, they wouldn't know that their chance of acquiring the wand is 0%.

I don't know. To me, being at full piety is guaranteed to be useful to you, whereas you're not guaranteed to acquire the trove item and you're also not guaranteed the trove will even have anything useful in there. Or even anything good. Sacrificing your guaranteed power, even for a short time, just sounds like a bad tradeoff for a low chance of getting something you need to access something that has a low to medium chance of being useful.

Besides, if you really, really want to get into that Trove, you can always chill out in the Abyss or Pan until you find what you need. So I do not really see the problem.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Return to Game Design Discussion