Allow targeting towards unseen squares

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

dd

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 24th June 2012, 09:14

Allow targeting towards unseen squares

This might be just me, but I've often times been annoyed that I can't target unseen squares when I'm firing a weapon or a wand.

For example, I want to hit several enemies with lightning bolt, and the only way I can get the beam to hit them all would be to target a specific square that's behind all the enemies, to get the right angle for the beam - but if that square happens to be unseen, I can't shoot at that angle, and if it's seen, I can. This seems counter-intuitive and inconsistent to me.

This also affects wands, for example wands of digging, if I want to make a path towards a certain place I often have to fire it while standing next to a wall. If I'm in a place where I can only see adjacent squares, I can only fire in 8 directions, but in a more open area I can fire in whatever angle I choose.

I think you should have the same options to target whatever angle, no matter where you stand.

For this message the author dd has received thanks: 4
danr, Galefury, mumra, XuaXua

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 27th June 2012, 19:56

Re: Allow targeting towards unseen squares

Weird, I was just noticing the same thing myself today, I was trying to get a mephitic cloud on something and couldn't - there was an angle which would allow it, but the end square that I had to target for that was out of range for the spell.

That was actually for a seen square though, it was just out of range.

I'm not sure if there's a rationale for the current behaviour, but it seems to me it would be an easy and significant interface improvement to just allow any square to be targeted and let the spell go as far as it can.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 28th June 2012, 00:01

You are allowed to fire at seen but out-of-range spaces (up to LOS range), try using !

TGW

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 28th June 2012, 10:47

Extremely niche consideration: hugeterm players would get to target at pretty much any angle, while normalterm players would be limited to fewer firing directions.

You're 99% right though, it shouldn't stop you from firing toward squares just because they're behind fog or walls. In particular, this would make digging in the correct direction much simpler.

dd

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 28th June 2012, 13:19

TGW wrote:Extremely niche consideration: hugeterm players would get to target at pretty much any angle, while normalterm players would be limited to fewer firing directions.

How so?

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 28th June 2012, 15:25

Because they have fewer places they can target. At the minimum terminal size you only get to see a square that includes LOS + 1. If the target you need to get exactly the angle you want is not inside that square, you cant shoot at that angle. I don't think this matters at all, though. Targeting could also be limited to LOS radius to avoid the problem.

dd

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 28th June 2012, 16:35

Galefury wrote:Because they have fewer places they can target. At the minimum terminal size you only get to see a square that includes LOS + 1. If the target you need to get exactly the angle you want is not inside that square, you cant shoot at that angle. I don't think this matters at all, though. Targeting could also be limited to LOS radius to avoid the problem.

But that only solves the problem partially - when the targeting is limited to an area it will still limit the angles you can shoot at.

Much better would be to allow targeting to scroll the screen, similarly to the (x) command.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 28th June 2012, 17:54

No, we don't want to have to toggle map mode and aim at the other end of the level for the perfect angle. That's terrible.
Having LOS range instead of LOS sounds reasonable though.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
dpeg

TGW

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 29th June 2012, 10:23

dd wrote:Much better would be to allow targeting to scroll the screen, similarly to the (x) command.

You can't see the beam path if you're scrolled all the way across the level, though.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 29th June 2012, 14:31

I do not like that beam path is inconsistent and malleable.

Take the example Player (X) of standing next to a wall with an opening in the wall at a distance and an open area to the side:

Code:
.#####
.....X

SITUATION 1) If I want to hit a target (A), the beam (o) looks like this :

Code:
A#####
.ooooX

SITUATION 2) If I want to a similar target (B) on the opposite side of me, the beam (o) looks like this:

Code:
.#####
...ooP
Boo...

Due to pathing and situations, items can be in the path or not, but I don't get to choose the path.

Since SITUATION 1 obviously involves some sort of hook-shot, is it penalized? Probably not. Should it be? Not my call.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Barkeep

Post Friday, 29th June 2012, 16:38

XuaXua wrote:SITUATION 1) If I want to hit a target (A), the beam (o) looks like this :

Code:
A#####
.ooooX

Since SITUATION 1 obviously involves some sort of hook-shot

It doesn't. The dungeon grid is just too low-res to show all the places stuff can be; they're big squares with a lot of room in them.

In your example, you have a direct shot on target A. No hook needed.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 29th June 2012, 16:39

Can't you do this with Z . anyway...

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 29th June 2012, 17:00

XuaXua: In wizmode you can cycle through the possible beam paths, but not in normal play.

For this message the author Galefury has received thanks:
XuaXua

dd

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 29th June 2012, 17:11

njvack wrote:
XuaXua wrote:SITUATION 1) If I want to hit a target (A), the beam (o) looks like this :

Code:
A#####
.ooooX

It doesn't. The dungeon grid is just too low-res to show all the places stuff can be; they're big squares with a lot of room in them.

it'd go something like this
Attachments
shot.png
shot.png (2.62 KiB) Viewed 3612 times

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 29th June 2012, 19:42

Galefury wrote:XuaXua: In wizmode you can cycle through the possible beam paths, but not in normal play.

I don't quite see why that has to be relegated to wizmode, other than some sort of programmatic concern.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 29th June 2012, 20:33

dd wrote:
njvack wrote:

Code:
A#####
.ooooX

it'd go something like this

Ummm... couldn't the same exact argument be made for target B?
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 29th June 2012, 20:40

XuaXua wrote:
Galefury wrote:XuaXua: In wizmode you can cycle through the possible beam paths, but not in normal play.

I don't quite see why that has to be relegated to wizmode, other than some sort of programmatic concern.

You have to test several squares if you want to optimize your beam path, and people are already asking for more. Now, you want to be able to choose which path to take for each square? Do you really want to spend 10 minutes finding the perfect angle and path each time you cast bolt of fire?
Keep it simple. That kind of interface improvement just add tedium, not interesting decisions.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 29th June 2012, 20:53

galehar wrote:
XuaXua wrote:

You have to test several squares if you want to optimize your beam path, and people are already asking for more. Now, you want to be able to choose which path to take for each square? Do you really want to spend 10 minutes finding the perfect angle and path each time you cast bolt of fire?
Keep it simple. That kind of interface improvement just add tedium, not interesting decisions.

I'd like this as well. By default spell path could just be like it is now, but for certain angles you could use an option key to switch to fine tune mode:

z{tab}f
vs.
zTjjjnf

Most of the time regular pathing is fine, but sometimes it just doesn't make any sense at all.
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Return to Game Design Discussion