Potion of beneficial mutation

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 15th November 2013, 15:07

Re: Potion of beneficial mutation

XuaXua wrote:
reg wrote:Can there be a "Really drink Potion of (Beneficial) Mutation while wearing your Amulet of Resist Mutation?" warning? It is a silly way to waste good potions, without being tactically challenging or anything.

Warnings that are mutable via configuration are always welcome, IMHO.

We already have something like this for reading scrolls of blinking or teleportation while wearing known stasis, right?

It'd be cool if there was a way to set triggers for these on arbitrary events like "you see gastronak/a titan, do you want to stop flying?" That is spoilery and shouldn't be on by default but now that I know about it I'd definitely like a prompt.

Barkeep

Post Friday, 15th November 2013, 15:54

johlstei wrote:It'd be cool if there was a way to set triggers for these on arbitrary events like "you see gastronak/a titan, do you want to stop flying?" That is spoilery and shouldn't be on by default but now that I know about it I'd definitely like a prompt.

Have you been informed about .rc files? They can do the very thing you're talking about! Find out more in this very forum!

Edited to add: it's possible you're just saying that you want to configure the warnings with more granularity, or to automatically start a response. Still probably doable with .rc files, if you're a lua wizard.

But anyway, I think it's worth handling mutation like teleportation. From what I can tell, if both the amulet of stasis and scrolls of teleportation are identified, the game doesn't waste the item if you try to use it; if either or both are un-ID'd, it IDs and wastes. Make the mutation stuff work the same way. If amulet or potion is un-identified, item gets used and wasted; if both are ID'd, it auto-cancels the quaff.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 15th November 2013, 16:27

Or just make the potion work through the amulet.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 15th November 2013, 17:24

archaeo wrote:
johlstei wrote:It'd be cool if there was a way to set triggers for these on arbitrary events like "you see gastronak/a titan, do you want to stop flying?" That is spoilery and shouldn't be on by default but now that I know about it I'd definitely like a prompt.

Have you been informed about .rc files? They can do the very thing you're talking about! Find out more in this very forum!

Edited to add: it's possible you're just saying that you want to configure the warnings with more granularity, or to automatically start a response. Still probably doable with .rc files, if you're a lua wizard.

But anyway, I think it's worth handling mutation like teleportation. From what I can tell, if both the amulet of stasis and scrolls of teleportation are identified, the game doesn't waste the item if you try to use it; if either or both are un-ID'd, it IDs and wastes. Make the mutation stuff work the same way. If amulet or potion is un-identified, item gets used and wasted; if both are ID'd, it auto-cancels the quaff.

I know about them, but I haven't probed them to see what sort of game state can be queried. I suppose that is probably already possible though. Is all game state accessible through lua?

Also having the potion work through the amulet seems like a no-brainer to me. I'd love to see a ttyrec of a person who consciously put on an rMut amulet to avoid quaff-iding beneficial mutation. I suppose it makes an rMut amulet a tradeoff when quaff-iding, since it protects you from !mut while blocking beneficial mutation, but I don't think that's particularly interesting, and I'd bet that 99% of the time you identify one of those before you identify an rMut amulet.

Maybe the right tradeoff is the amulet blocks beneficial mutation if you drink it unidentified, but if you drink identified beneficial mutation, you get a message like "You unclasp your amulet before drinking this potion" and it just works.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 15th November 2013, 19:09

I think that a potion of (beneficial) mutation shouldn't work through an amulet of resist mutation.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 15th November 2013, 19:34

Wahaha wrote:I think that a potion of (beneficial) mutation shouldn't work through an amulet of resist mutation.

In what situation would you intentionally drink one with one on? I don't care about flavor at all, it's a no brainer to take off rMut/unid amulets before drinking it, and thus there's no reason to make the player do it. Nothing interesting is added to the game by having it behave this way if it is already ided. I'll take back my statement if you provide even a single example where this makes for an interesting decision.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 15th November 2013, 19:38

johlstei wrote:
Wahaha wrote:I think that a potion of (beneficial) mutation shouldn't work through an amulet of resist mutation.

In what situation would you intentionally drink one with one on? I don't care about flavor at all, it's a no brainer to take off rMut/unid amulets before drinking it, and thus there's no reason to make the player do it. Nothing interesting is added to the game by having it behave this way if it is already ided. I'll take back my statement if you provide even a single example where this makes for an interesting decision.

Hypothetically if you're low on ?remove curse.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 15th November 2013, 19:40

indspenceable wrote:
johlstei wrote:

Hypothetically if you're low on ?remove curse.

Ahh, if your rMut amulet is cursed that is a good point! Presumably you could just not show the "unclasp" message and have it resist it only in that case, I'm fine with that. I'm also fine if with it not working if you have innate mutation resistance, though I'm not sure how it works currently.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 16th November 2013, 02:03

This is a no-brainer. If the game won't allow you to read a scroll of teleportation if you are wearing an Amulet of Stasis, why would it allow you to quaff a potion of beneficial mutation if you are wearing an Amulet of rMut ? The game should have consistency. Potions of Beneficial Mutation are more rare than Scrolls of Teleportation, we should have the same mechanic in play here.
Online Wins: DeCj (4), HeAe (10), DrAs (15), DDAr (11)

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 16th November 2013, 02:11

It does however allow you to zap wands of haste at yourself while under stasis and also allows you to drink potions of speed and both of those things are much more valuable than benemuts.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 16th November 2013, 02:14

skyspire wrote:This is a no-brainer. If the game won't allow you to read a scroll of teleportation if you are wearing an Amulet of Stasis, why would it allow you to quaff a potion of beneficial mutation if you are wearing an Amulet of rMut ? The game should have consistency. Potions of Beneficial Mutation are more rare than Scrolls of Teleportation, we should have the same mechanic in play here.
Also, rMut doesn't have a 100% chance of working, while Stasis does. This is relevant in the aforementioned curse.
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 16th November 2013, 02:46

speaking of which "Scroll of Blinking" isn't this going to be renamed to "Scroll of Controlled Blink"? If that's the case, in -tele areas, the game should not allow you to read the scroll, in my opinion. "You cannot do that here."
Online Wins: DeCj (4), HeAe (10), DrAs (15), DDAr (11)
Previous

Return to Game Design Discussion