Silver Ammo

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 24th August 2012, 09:40

Silver Ammo

Am I the only person that is really irritated with silver branded ammo? It has such a small niche in game use.

Knowledge bot says:

"+5% damage per mutation (up to *1.75), 1.75x vs chaotic things (marked as such in their description). This means shapeshifters, mutaters, ugly things, abominations, Tiamat, Killer Klowns, chaos spawns."

Now 75% extra damage is a big deal, but its only good against a select few monsters or players that have decided to follow jiyva or tinker with too many mut potions. I think these should be removed, made effective against demons and slimes, or gifted by Zin and made a real brand. As it is, they're a heavier, generally inferior ammo brand that Trog and Okawaru give away.
"You draw a card... It is the Bones."

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 24th August 2012, 09:47

Re: Silver Ammo

cursednobleman wrote:I think these should be removed, made effective against demons and slimes, or gifted by Zin and made a real brand. As it is, they're a heavier, generally inferior ammo brand that Trog and Okawaru give away.

Making demons vulnerable to silver would change the brand from being narrow to way too broad. And I don't see the point in overlapping with holy wrath. I also don't see the point in making it a melee brand. Differentiation is good. It has a narrow focus, but it's powerful and some of the vulnerable enemies are among the most dangerous of the game.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 24th August 2012, 12:44

cursednobleman wrote:or players that have decided to follow jiyva or tinker with too many mut potions

Don't forget late-game Demonspawn. Yaktaurs with silver bolts get pretty scary.

galehar wrote:It has a narrow focus, but it's powerful and some of the vulnerable enemies are among the most dangerous of the game.

Indeed. If silver ammo were to be removed, the same argument could be made for removing wands of disintegration -- its non-combat function is done better by wands (and spells) of digging, and the monsters that are especially vulnerable to it are few and far between...but dangerous. But nobody's calling for removing wands of disintegration, so why remove silver ammo?
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 24th August 2012, 16:48

cursednobleman wrote:Am I the only person that is really irritated with silver branded ammo? It has such a small niche in game use.
"+5% damage per mutation (up to *1.75), 1.75x vs chaotic things (marked as such in their description). This means shapeshifters, mutaters, ugly things, abominations, Tiamat, Killer Klowns, chaos spawns."

Silver is a powerful brand, particularly in Zot, where it is nice to have something special to give to the Orbs of Fire. If my Halfling Catapult finds 14 silver bullets, I get very happy.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 26th August 2012, 11:04

I definitely agree that Zin should gift silver ammo. For being his special brand, Okawaru/Trog worshipers get to use it way more often.

The only other change I would make is prevent it from overriding launcher effects. So you would get the launcher brand _and_ the silver brand.
Dearest Steve
thanks for the gym equipment
the plane crashed

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 26th August 2012, 12:01

pubby wrote:The only other change I would make is prevent it from overriding launcher effects. So you would get the launcher brand _and_ the silver brand.

That's supposed to happen in the ranged overhaul anyway AFAIK.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 26th August 2012, 15:54

I still stay there should be a Zin-flavored fixedart sword or mace that's silver branded.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Return to Game Design Discussion