Wielding for Mara (was: Really Attack prompt)

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 7th June 2012, 19:41

Wielding for Mara (was: Really Attack prompt)

mageykun wrote:Making non-weapons not attack sounds workable. This would be a nerf to Mara though, wouldn't it? The old wielded bread ration trick would produce ghosts without melee attacks.

*cough*default to unarmed*cough*
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 7th June 2012, 20:23

Re: "Really Attack" prompt

XuaXua wrote:
mageykun wrote:Making non-weapons not attack sounds workable. This would be a nerf to Mara though, wouldn't it? The old wielded bread ration trick would produce ghosts without melee attacks.

*cough*default to unarmed*cough*

Perhaps better yet, Mara could wield the strongest weapon wielded (or unarmed) by the player during the ghosts existence. For example: player wield meat ration. Mara weaves the ghost who attacks with the player's UC rating. Player wields an battleaxe and attacks Mara. Ghost wields the battleaxe (message: "foo's ghost wields a spectral battleaxe"). Player wields a dagger. Ghost hits with a battleaxe.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 7th June 2012, 21:05

Why? It works pretty well. I can focus on killing Mara without worrying about my ghost. That's pretty useful if you ask me.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 7th June 2012, 21:42

minmay wrote:I don't see how the bread ration trick is a problem since it is, you know, completely and utterly useless.

Why is it completely and utterly useless? Don't the illusions generated appear with bread in their hands instead? Attacking with bread is pointless. And yet, the illusion persists in doing so.

I think a better solution would be based somewhat on the one suggested, with mirroring wielding.
Mirroring ACTIONS.
You cast fireball on it or another? It casts fireball on you.
You attack it or another with your axe? It attacks you with your axe.
Etc.
Of course, swap out any action that is blatantly anti-illusion for one that is actually damaging to players.

edit DAMMIT XUAXUA, STOP OPENING DISCUSSIONS IN TABS AND GETTING BACK TO THEM LATER!

Mods should diverge a Mara's Illusion thread.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 7th June 2012, 21:57

Re: Wielding for Mara (was: Really Attack prompt)

Split. This topic was mixed enough that I couldn't get everything; when in doubt, I left posts in the old thread.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Return to Game Design Discussion