Make "cure mutation" into "genetic stability" potion

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 7th June 2012, 05:56

Make "cure mutation" into "genetic stability" potion

There's been talk about making cure mutation potion become non-destructible. Instead, how about a mechanic change?

If you quaff a cure mutation potion with no bad mutations, you get a mutation "shield" which will automatically trigger when you get a bad mutation, and remove it.

If you already have bad mutations, it works as normal.

This would be an interesting choice for people entering hell.pan. Do I burn a curemut now as a shield, or wait and see if I can live with a weak bad mutation?
(p.s. this is stupid some dev please make it not stupid) - minmay

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 7th June 2012, 07:04

Re: Make "cure mutation" into "genetic stability" potion

The way I see it, it wouldn't really change a thing. It'd always be better to hang onto to it in case you get a nasty mutation or multiple rather than it shield you from one, potentially trivial, bad mutation.

And with the way Cure Mutation works, it probably would have to shield against good mutations too since it can remove those all the same.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 7th June 2012, 09:18

There are a few interesting implications actually.

One, quaff-IDing a cure mut potion wouldn't waste it. This would be a small but useful perk.

Two, blocking only bad mutations and allowing good mutations would force an interesting choice - do you use it now and protect from a bad (but maybe minor) mutation, or use it later and risk losing a good mutation?
(p.s. this is stupid some dev please make it not stupid) - minmay

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 7th June 2012, 14:22

Quaff-id not wasting it is bad. There should be significant consequences to playing the id game poorly.

The "interesting choice" is, as TwilightPhoenix said, insignificant. Nobody would waste cure mut on a likely not-that-threatening mutation with the looming threat of a much worse one.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 7th June 2012, 14:27

Cure Mutation removes, what, approximately 8 random mutations, right?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 7th June 2012, 14:27

XuaXua wrote:Cure Mutation removes, what, approximately 8 random mutations, right?

1-7

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 7th June 2012, 16:26

I'm not sure if it's warranted to make the best potion even better.

Perhaps this would work as a separate potion. EG a potion of genetic stability, which grants a temporary chance of avoiding mutation.

A potion of genetic evolution, which grants the evolution mutation, might be fun. I don't know if it's right for the game, but I think that the evolution mutation is so much fun that I'd like to see it more often.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 7th June 2012, 16:35

Isn't prevention what we have amulets of resist mutation for?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 7th June 2012, 17:18

I don't like the idea. Just rewards carelessness.

For this message the author moocowmoocow has received thanks:
Dustbin

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 7th June 2012, 17:45

minmay wrote:It is not anywhere close to the best potion.

You're a counsellor. Stop dropping anti-advice without providing counter-advice, like suggesting a better potion.

I would guess that Potion of Experience is the best potion.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 7th June 2012, 17:51

and before you say "but why are those better"

They're better because they actually get used in games. Cure mut is nice occasionally for a few characters. In most three-runers and many fifteen-runers, it is completely unnecessary. Most of those others can be used frequently and effectively to save a character or get out of tricky situations. I don't really agree that brilliance, agility, and restab are better, since they have similar very limited utility, but they're certainly comparable. Most of the rest are significantly better.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 7th June 2012, 18:09

Thanks.

Favorite utility of Brilliance is to memorize higher level spells with spell schools that are unavailable with lower level spells or to avoid having to use a scroll of amnesia to rid myself of a lower level spell memorized solely to take advantage of training a spell school.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 7th June 2012, 20:15

minmay wrote:Potion of agility, potion of berserk rage, potion of brilliance, potion of curing, potion of heal wounds, potion of magic, potion of might, potion of resistance, potion of restore abilities, potion of speed.

Thanks for clarifying.

I stand corrected. I suppose "most useful" was not a useful superlative. It's perhaps the most useful potion outside of a combat situation. I was thrown off by Cure mutation's value in stores. (Though I know store value is not always related to a measure of usefulness.) And by the fact that the remove mutation effect is not so easily or safely duplicated outside of god abilities. All the potions named have rough analogues in items or other consumables. Early on, I suppose I'd be happier to find a potion of speed than I would be to find a potion of cure mutation. But once I have a another source of haste, cure mutation becomes more useful, especially if no amulet of resist mutation has shown up yet.

Blade wrote:Cure mut is nice occasionally for a few characters.

OK. Maybe this is a good player versus bad player thing. Bad players play poorly and get mutated and can't deal it and need cure mutation. Good player just ignore mutations and win. I get mutated by the extended game by most games that I get there.

One thing is for sure: cute mutation is rarer than most other potions. There are probably at least 12 times more potions of curing generated than there are potions of cure mutation generated. In that sense, finding a potion of cure mutation might be more exciting than finding a potion of speed. That's because you'll probably find another potion of speed soon, but you might not ever find another potion of cure mutation.

Cute mutation is also great for playing mutation roulette. If you happen to find fulsome early, you can often get 3+ stellar mutations by the endgame. Occasionally you get blurry vision or berserkitis instead. Cure mutation valuable insurance policy against being stuck with a bad spin.

Return to Game Design Discussion