Idea on differentiating weapons & armour

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

dd

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 5th June 2012, 18:05

Idea on differentiating weapons & armour

Currently, there's not much choice involved in choosing armour - if you're a caster, go for a robe, if you're a EV guy or caster/fighter go for leather armour/troll leather/steam dragon etc. if you're a heavy armor guy, go for the plate armour/crystal plate/dragon armour...

As for weapons, a lot of the weapons offer really no distinction - makes no difference if you use a great mace or battleaxe.

So what I propose is a system of dividing the damage output of each weapon to two values: blunt damage and sharp damage (name pending). Similarly, the armor rating of each armour would be divided to two values, blunt rating & sharp rating.

So for example, a great sword would deal lots of sharp damage and little blunt damage. A great mace would be the opposite, and axes would be in the middle. Things like staves would only deal blunt damage. Then there's the armours - you'd have "soft" armours that protect more from blunt damage (leather, scale, ring) and hard armours that protect more from sharp damage (plate, splint, banded) and armours in the middle (chainmail?).

I realize this would be a pretty major change to game mechanics and it might not be to everyone's tastes, nor what the developers want to do with the game... It's just something I've been thinking about for a while and I just thought I'd throw this out there.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 5th June 2012, 18:45

Re: Idea on differentiating weapons & armour

There are already plans afoot to add special moves to the various weapon types. The addition of reaching to polearms was the first step in this direction. I'd recommend looking that proposal up before making new suggestions.

Here's the relevant page: https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php? ... n_reform&s

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 5th June 2012, 18:48

On the other side of things, I think you're oversimplifying armor choices.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 5th June 2012, 19:04

minmay wrote:"caster"

Gotta love these super-ambiguous minmay posts.
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 5th June 2012, 19:16

It's an old complaint. People use the term "caster" to mean a character that kills things almost exclusively with spells. The reality is that almost every type of character can and should cast spells at least a little bit.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 5th June 2012, 20:31

And every spell caster can and should have some sort of melee weapon.

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 5th June 2012, 21:36

Damage type of weapons could be used to make undeads more interesting. (blunt damage better against skeletons / sharp damage better against zombies).

Return to Game Design Discussion