shift-tab: autofight_nomove or hit_adjacent?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 30th May 2012, 08:12

shift-tab: autofight_nomove or hit_adjacent?

The shift-tab command is called AUTOFIGHT_NOMOVE, and it calls a lua function named hit_adjacent. It's the same thing anyway right? Actually, it used to be "hit anything adjacent", and I changed it to "autofight without moving". Which means if there's no adjacent monster but one at range and you have something to throw in your quiver, you'll throw it. Which means you can use shift-tab to fire at approaching monsters and fleeing ones too. I find this extremely handy. If you don't, you can revert to the old "hit adjacent" behaviour by setting autofight_throw_nomove to false.

Related to this, there's also the autofight_throw option which has been added recently. Makes you throw stuff by just tabbing. There's even a lua function that you can map to a key to toggle it in-game.

Personally, I think the autofight_throw can be useful for a dedicated thrower. There are some cases (corridor, doorway) where you want to stay put and might want to use the turn for something else than throwing when there's no adjacent monster. However, I'd rather play slower or empty my quiver rather than changing autofight_throw_nomove. Seems like a much narrower use-case than firing at approaching/fleeing monsters.

Feedback and suggestions welcome.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 30th May 2012, 10:34

Re: shift-tab: autofight_nomove or hit_adjacent?

Could Ctrl+Tab be used for the third flavour of tabbing?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 30th May 2012, 12:47

There was a suggestion at some point to repeat autofight until a new enemy came into view or hp got low enough to see warnings. Maybe ctrl-tab could go to that one, if it ever goes in.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 30th May 2012, 13:06

jejorda2 wrote:There was a suggestion at some point to repeat autofight until a new enemy came into view or hp got low enough to see warnings. Maybe ctrl-tab could go to that one, if it ever goes in.

I'm not particularly fond of this one because there are a lot of other things that might happen that would be cause to stop early - like discovering one of your enemies has a branded weapon (distortion/venom especially), or getting coated in sticky flames, or getting slowed, or...

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 30th May 2012, 13:55

Patashu wrote:Could Ctrl+Tab be used for the third flavour of tabbing?

Nice idea. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be handled by console. ctrl-tab returns the same key code as tab (9)
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 30th May 2012, 14:25

I would prefer <ctrl><alt>Tab to go through the entire dungeon level, killing any monsters until HP is low, butchering them for food if "very hungry," and resting when no enemy is in LOS.
(p.s. this is stupid some dev please make it not stupid) - minmay

For this message the author sardonica has received thanks:
BlackSheep

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 30th May 2012, 15:52

I think it would be amusing for tab to transform into autoexplore 'o' when there are no enemies visible.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 30th May 2012, 16:10

XuaXua wrote:I think it would be amusing for tab to transform into autoexplore 'o' when there are no enemies visible.

Making "holding down tab" even more fun and interesting!

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 30th May 2012, 16:25

Moar tab is good tab.
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 30th May 2012, 16:48

I actually did a series of runs recently with a beserker mino, holding down tab when an enemy entered LOS and not stopping till death or the HP warning.

Got one of them all the way to Lair:8

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 30th May 2012, 22:04

I agree with having tab turn into autoexplore when nothing is in sight. There is no reason not to do that.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 30th May 2012, 22:07

Deimos wrote:I agree with having tab turn into autoexplore when nothing is in sight. There is no reason not to do that.

Maybe you don't want to go running off after you fight stuff. Tab in zot:5 gets really really dangerous if you accidentally press it after you've killed everything with this proposal.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 30th May 2012, 23:26

True. Maybe it couldn't change to autoexplore until the user lets go of the key? Not sure how that would work.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 31st May 2012, 00:07

Deimos wrote:True. Maybe it couldn't change to autoexplore until the user lets go of the key? Not sure how that would work.

Seems like a pointless change when auto-explore takes exactly 1 keypress. There are a lot of other auto-explore interruptions ("This is deep water" on an Octopode anyone?) that are way more annoying than having to click 1 extra button after a fight. Not to mention that a lot of the gods that tabbers will be using like corpse sacrificing.
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 31st May 2012, 00:36

If you want to tab-explore, macro o\{9} to some key. Combining two distinct, useful functions into one dangerous, unpredictable mess (which that macro usually is) is a bad idea.

Return to Game Design Discussion