new draconian color suggestions

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 14th May 2012, 14:00

new draconian color suggestions

so i thought symmetry with monster dragons and pc draconians should be further implemented, and thought of two more draconian colors.
pearl draconian
+1 unarmed combat, +1 invocation
rN+ at xl 7
breathe holy flame (holy wrath branded breath)

death (?) draconian
-1 all weapons stat, +1 necromancy
rRot at xl 7
breathe miasma

thoughts?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 14th May 2012, 14:10

Re: new draconian color suggestions

The first one would be very underpowered, the second very overpowered (seriously, miasma is brutal). Draconians are fine as-is.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 14th May 2012, 14:25

They both sound overpowered, and especially the holy one makes no sense.

I could see the death one as something special though, maybe make it a little different:

Bone Draconian: Your protruding white-ish scales weren't scales at all. They were bone! Bone draconians (and Bone dragons) are extremely rare, but becoming such, you become an undead! just like that, you find that your life has ended, and your unlife began anew when your bones managed to shed your flesh. Bone Draconians have all their aptitudes set to -1, as they need to learn to do everything again without musculature, but they gain all the resistances and benefits of being an undead.
The above post is for entertainment purposes only. If you think anything I ever say is backed by fact, or if you cite things I've said in any argument ever, you are insane.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 14th May 2012, 14:30

IronJelly wrote: but they gain all the resistances and benefits of being an undead.

so maybe no food clock?
also i would rather have the bone draconian normal occurance percentage compared to other draconian colors but be less stronger.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 14th May 2012, 14:32

minmay wrote:Do you really want to excommunicate 10% of DrHe when they reach XL 7?

i didnt even think about that :oops:
i would say though getting excommunicated at xl 7 would be very sad as a DrHe.
i guess death draconian was a bad idea :P

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 14th May 2012, 14:54

snmjk20 wrote:so i thought symmetry with monster dragons and pc draconians should be further implemented, and thought of two more draconian colors.
pearl draconian
+1 unarmed combat, +1 invocation
rN+ at xl 7
breathe holy flame (holy wrath branded breath)

death (?) draconian
-1 all weapons stat, +1 necromancy
rRot at xl 7
breathe miasma

thoughts?

Having new draconian colors makes sense, and considering their viable alternate forms with Dragon Form (Pearl and Shadow, respectively), these two would easily overcome any inadequacies they might have received in the early game. I would consider gifting some form of torment resistance to the death draconian.

Having these exact two potential colors as options would make all draconians whose players want to target a holy diety marginally weaker in the early game, as they'd have to wait till they discover their colour. As pointed out, it would also make starting as a DrHe a dangerous option, though rather than simply dismiss the concept outright, I'd suggest reworking it and see it programmed in as one of two special cases depending on piety:
low piety: "Elvy understands the vagaries of destiny as set by genetics and releases you from its watch."
high piety: "Elvy prevents your genetic descent into the hells and transforms you body and soul; you are now a pearl draconian".

The holy breath of the pearl draconian could be reworked as a holy-branded flame with a modified (reduced) standard flame damage. The goal of either of these beasts would be Dragon Form.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 14th May 2012, 15:03

i really just got these ideas from wild imagination while reading learndb entries about dragons and draconians :D
death draconians can gain torment resistance at like xl14.
by holy wrath branded breath i meant that holy flame that pearl dragons had :D
but i really dont see a nice way to bypass the dilemma of a death draconian being a DrHe without tweaking too much gameplay.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 14th May 2012, 15:34

There are Iron Dragons and Quicksilver Dragons, but there probably don't need to be Iron or Quicksilver draconians. What would Chei think of a QS follower?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 14th May 2012, 15:35

Grey draconians are being themed as the iron (earth) flavor.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 14th May 2012, 16:05

jejorda2 wrote:There are Iron Dragons and Quicksilver Dragons, but there probably don't need to be Iron or Quicksilver draconians. What would Chei think of a QS follower?

Purple Draconians in Dragon Form are themed to Quicksilver Dragons.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 14th May 2012, 16:16

although i would like qs draconian with innate swiftness :D

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 14th May 2012, 16:54

Iron Draconians would be nice followers of Cheibriados.
Add improved armour and metal-shards breath attack that drains your health (he is using pieces of his throat to attack people!), but make him slower.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 14th May 2012, 18:19

grey draconians are the counterpart for iron dragons, and i think they can be given a makeover.
make them slower than usual to about speed 8, give them more ac from scales or even GDR from scales.
they breathe metal shards that does a lot of damage but slow breathe cooldown?
and a damage bonus for melee attacks would be nice :D
well, of course if were giving them a makeover they should be removed the rDrown
maybe we can even create another specie of draconian and name them iron draconians :D

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 14th May 2012, 20:12

snmjk20 wrote:grey draconians are the counterpart for iron dragons, and i think they can be given a makeover.
make them slower than usual to about speed 8, give them more ac from scales or even GDR from scales.
they breathe metal shards that does a lot of damage but slow breathe cooldown?
and a damage bonus for melee attacks would be nice :D
well, of course if were giving them a makeover they should be removed the rDrown
maybe we can even create another specie of draconian and name them iron draconians :D

They recently got a makeover.
They have +2 Earth Magic, -2 Air Magic, are heavy and therefore immune to the slowing effects of water, and have a heightened base AC.
I don't know if there's more.

What *does* suck (or, more appropriately, "blow"), is (I believe), while they ARE breathless, their ghosts breathe draining. I'm sure someone will come and correct me if I am wrong. EDIT: Marvin said I'm wrong and he's right; gray draconian ghosts don't breathe!
Last edited by XuaXua on Tuesday, 15th May 2012, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 14th May 2012, 22:29

You're wrong.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 15th May 2012, 01:50

You're correct that I'm wrong. Gray Draconian ghosts also don't breathe.

Return to Game Design Discussion