Drowning

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 1st February 2011, 17:14

Re: Drowning

I think it's ok, because drowning deaths while harsh are quite rare. The interface is already doing a good job at warning and preventing them as much as possible. It's doing such a good job, that it creates a feeling of security which leads players to think: "I don't have to pay too much attention, the game will warn me if I'm at risk of drowning anyway". Too bad, sometimes it doesn't...
There's still a few things to fix, like Beoghite losing water walking because of piety decay or smiting, and form expiring, but they can be fixed. I have an idea for improving the more prompt for lev/form expiration and I hope I'll have the time to code it before 0.8 release.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 1st February 2011, 17:19

I only died of drowning once (back in 0.5). There are plenty on ways to prevent it, so I don't see how it's a problem.

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 1st February 2011, 17:25

Drowning is the only death that really Irks me. Even though it rarely ever happens.
If it is changed, I don't think that players should be able to move when in deep water but are able to use items.
(Potions only have half power because its harder to drink them in water)

I think that Lava should ALWAYS be an instant death no matter how much rF you have.
ITS LAVA! It should kill you.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 1st February 2011, 18:34

As it currently stands (at least this is how I understand it), if you're carrying less than 50% of your capacity, and you're next to land, you'll be guaranteed to live.

Proposal: If you're currently at less than 50% weight burden, landing in water will let you swim. While swimming, if you're not a merfolk, you may take no actions except movement (at a 100% speed malus; possibly malii to EV and SH as well), reading scrolls, drinking potions, and invoking god powers. If you have more than 50% burden, your character desperately and instantly throws stuff out of his pack at random(?) until he's light enough to swim. Items that can get you out of the swimming state (scrolls of blinking and teleportation, potions of levitation, etc.) don't get dropped unless absolutely necessary.

Lava would be like water, but you take heavy fire damage every turn.

Still very harsh, but not instant death.

Potential issue: letting players swim like this might break a few vaults. I'm also not sure how the situation of having more than 50% encumbrance from cursed gear alone should be dealt with...
Just a well-spoken spambot.

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 1st February 2011, 19:08

No Dtsund!
Lava=InstaPWN
Anyone stupid enough to fall into Lava is Instantly Turned into Bacon Bits.
Hey! that just gave me an Idea! VOLCANO GOD!
He likes you to throw stuff (especially bodies) into Lava... does not do much in return.

For this message the author omndra has received thanks:
Roderic

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 1st February 2011, 19:15

If you start out the game worshipping Pele The Volcano God then your entire early game becomes "I NEED TO HAVE SEX WITH -SOMETHING-, RIGHT NOW" so you can avoid becoming a virgin sacrifice as soon as you find a pit of lava.

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 1st February 2011, 19:41

Thats why they put giant Newts in the game.

For this message the author omndra has received thanks:
szanth

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 1st February 2011, 21:46

I was once on ELF:8 in .5 with my Beoghite, and had to quit the game because my piety fell too low, and I couldn't cross back over the water to get out. Just thought I'd mention that.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 1st February 2011, 22:06

Moose wrote:I was once on ELF:8 in .5 with my Beoghite, and had to quit the game because my piety fell too low, and I couldn't cross back over the water to get out. Just thought I'd mention that.

And you had no teleport, no blinking? That's more of a problem with the layout and lack of preparation than with Beogh. After all, the same could have happened if your potions of levitation got shattered, or a random teleport lands you over there.
Please report bugs to Crawl's bug tracker, and leave feedback on the development wiki. Thank you!

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 1st February 2011, 23:40

I like drowning deaths on the basis of them being hilarious.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 2nd February 2011, 00:00

jpeg wrote:
Moose wrote:I was once on ELF:8 in .5 with my Beoghite, and had to quit the game because my piety fell too low, and I couldn't cross back over the water to get out. Just thought I'd mention that.

And you had no teleport, no blinking? That's more of a problem with the layout and lack of preparation than with Beogh. After all, the same could have happened if your potions of levitation got shattered, or a random teleport lands you over there.

I had no teleport, and no blinking, and it was the first character that had ever made it to that layout of elf:8. I was a pure melee character as well. I'm just sayin' it woulda been nice to have had an escape hatch or something on the other side of the water. Yes, of course, every next time I've been to that level, I've made damn freakin' sure I had some floaties with me, but it doesn't make up for the complete and utter frustration I felt at having to throw such a wonderful character away.

I never said it was a problem with Beogh though.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 2nd February 2011, 02:59

minmay wrote:Well, it should actually kill you if you're levitating above it or standing next to it, because it's lava. Funny thing about stuff that's really hot: it makes the air around it really hot.

How about taking heat damage when you are levitating above or standing next to lava. Similar to standing next to walls in Slime. Damage could be worse than steam, and reducible by levels of fire resistance.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 2nd February 2011, 13:59

But then would you also take residual damage from standing next to a flame cloud, or a freezing cloud, or miasma?

I do like the idea of residual heat damage from crossing above lava, though.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 2nd February 2011, 14:04

I like the idea of taking damage from being next to or over lava. rF would help, we assume. AI pathfinding might not be so bad: they're better in Slime now, already.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 2nd February 2011, 17:05

I actually think its pretty hard to drown in Crawl, at least compared to CastlevaniaRL where 95% of my player deaths were as a result of being knocked into water or dorwning. A big part of the reason I abandoned CastlevaniaRL for Crawl, actually, was that Stone Soup typically goes out of its way to prevent drowning (even giving you a warning prompt if you're confused and next to deep water!)

Return to Game Design Discussion