List of unknown items

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 1st February 2011, 12:00

List of unknown items

There should be a list of unknown items available somewhere in the game (you could list unknown items on the list of discoveries ' \ ' greyed out or make a new screen for them altogether). After a few more successful games I've seen most of the available potions/scrolls and therefore any fun to be had from discovering new items was had. From then on, I often find myself in the midgame with all but a few scrolls and potions identified and I have to decide whether I should use-id the remaining few or use id scrolls, which might come in handy later for randarts and jewellery. It's quite fun (for me, at least) to weigh the potential benefits of not wasting id on harmless bad or immediately useful consumables vs wasting good rare ones, but that fun is marred by time-consuming tediousness of checking the list of scrolls/potions available in the game on the wiki and comparing it to in-game list of known consumables. It would be way better if Crawl just did this.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 1st February 2011, 12:19

Re: List of unknown items

The feature is in 0.8. In the \ screen, you can toggle between known and unknown items with "-".
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
Grimm

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 2nd February 2011, 07:50

Re: List of unknown items

galehar wrote:The feature is in 0.8. In the \ screen, you can toggle between known and unknown items with "-".

That's awesome.

There are some additional ideas for the \ screen:
(1) Item keys (!, ? etc.) should jump to the relevant section.
(2) Autopickup state could be toggled there.

Return to Game Design Discussion