Preserve artefact descriptions in item description

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 11th May 2012, 14:15

Preserve artefact descriptions in item description

I've noticed that un-IDed artefacts have these really colourful descriptors, like "distressingly furry", but once the item is IDed, that information is lost.

How about adding those to the full item description. I have a robe right now, when I look at it it is just called "a cloth robe", why not have that part read "a distressingly furry cloth robe". Or add it to the line where it says where you found it. "This robe is distressingly furry. You took it off a Deep Elf Annihilator on Level 5 of the Elven Halls."

For this message the author danr has received thanks: 6
mageykun, MyOtheHedgeFox, njvack, Shard1697, TwilightPhoenix, XuaXua

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 11th May 2012, 14:35

Re: Preserve artefact descriptions in item description

If only there was a way to add your very own inscriptions to items, that might solve your problem... Oh well...
(p.s. this is stupid some dev please make it not stupid) - minmay

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 11th May 2012, 16:49

If only artifacts didn't come auto-inscribed with useful information you likely wouldn't want to replace... Oh well...
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 11th May 2012, 18:07

*Sarcasm overflow*

You're both wrong. Inscribing artefact work, you can have your own inscriptions on top of the autoinscription. But since it's just a flavour thing, you really don't want to have it as an inscription that takes valuable space.
danr's suggestion is a good idea, but I wouldn't replace the item description with the artefact's name. It's just a "cloth robe" for now, but it might be improved, many item descriptions already have. Maybe just put the unident name right on the second line.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Return to Game Design Discussion