Minor control suggestion: Single-step auto-travel toggle

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 13th August 2012, 01:04

Minor control suggestion: Single-step auto-travel toggle

I'm curious if I'm the only one who would like this, but here goes:

A toggle key (like Ctrl+A for auto-pickup) and when enabled, a single movement is treated as a single-step auto-travel, meaning it won't happen if there are monsters in view. So with this mode enabled, and there's a rat in view and you press left, you'll get the regular "There's a rat in view!", though probably with an added "[Careful-step(c) is enabled, disable with Ctrl+...]".

The idea is that you can hammer the direction keys while travelling 'manually', without fear of running a few turns into hellions, fiends, etc. This is something I often do in the post-endgame anyway, when I'm pretty powerful and tired of endlessly looking for abyss exits or so. I'd like to do this earlier in the game as well, but with this as a failsafe. This is different than travelling with shift, btw! I'd make an ascii illustration to show why manual travelling is often preferred, but I don't think it'll turn out well. :)

Code-wise I suppose it would be relatively easy to implement; when the mode is enabled, just treat a movement key press as an auto-travel command to the tile on the left/right/top/bottom/diagonals.

Anyone else think this would be convenient to add?

For this message the author Torious has received thanks:
zrn

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 13th August 2012, 01:27

Re: Minor control suggestion: Single-step auto-travel toggle

You can actually do this with repeat commands (since they will stop if something comes into view).

However repeat commands seem to not work properly in macros so this would be extremely annoying.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 13th August 2012, 03:29

Interesting idea. Seems like it would be annoying turning it on and off and on and off all the time, even if you did only use it in Hell or the Abyss. That said, this seems easy enough to implement... Might as well let everyone exercise their masochistic tendencies. :)
Jabberwocky wrote:You came back on the forums. Everything in the corner has been worse since 11/4/12. It got better when you left, but now it's bad again.

"You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas's attack!"

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 13th August 2012, 03:54

So it will be likie Shift+travel key, but without travelling across the whole map until bumping into a feature. It would be useful for open spaces or really random map, instead of flying across or keeping shift pressed.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 13th August 2012, 08:51

I'd really like this feature. There are many times where autotravel is not smart enough for you.

I guess if somebody implements it it will be a pure improvement, since it's not necessary to use or even be aware of it's existence.

zrn

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 13th August 2012, 18:42

I've been wanting this feature forever. Although I would prefer if it was a modifier + movement rather than a toggle. I definitely would not mind if run was completely removed in favor of safe walk. The only reason I use run is so I don't walk into a dangerous enemy, but this gets annoying when you don't necessarily want to keep going til you hit a wall or feature. This would be especially useful online, where even minor lag causes you to pause after each manual movement to make sure no enemies come into view in dangerous areas. Please make this an option!

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 15th August 2012, 09:57

zrn wrote:I've been wanting this feature forever.

zrn wrote:Please make this an option!

That's what my post would look like, but zrn said it better.

Return to Game Design Discussion