Organizing spellbooks

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 2nd May 2012, 20:41

Organizing spellbooks

It would be neat if there was a screen, similar to the "M" screen, which would tell me about all spells which are available in books anywhere in the dungeon.
Spells that I currently know would be in a different color.
If I have multiple books containing a certain spell, that would be noted (useful if you're thinking about forgetting a spell the hard way).
Hitting the "-" button would take me to a list of spells which aren't available -- mostly ones I haven't found, but also includes spells where the books have been lost or destroyed.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 2nd May 2012, 21:04

Re: Organizing spellbooks

I think I prefer the other idea which was posted here a while ago about a memorisation 'shopping list'. Seems more useful than a list of all the spells found.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 3rd May 2012, 23:07

The OP's idea would be useful for finding spare books to un-memorise spells and save amnesia. My usual method is using Ctrl-F which is a bit fiddly.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 4th May 2012, 00:27

When I have open spell slots on a caster, I know I ctrl F book and then skim through the stacks to see what I have available. Heck, I even tend to do this if I'm looking for a specific spell, since I can't spell to save my life. A quickly accessible list of available spells would be convenient. Hardly necessary, but convenient.

Heck, just making spells searchable would do it. Have ctrl F spell just show you every spell crtl F book would bring up, just not sorted into books.

hxy

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 4th May 2012, 05:30

+1 for the "find available spells" option

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 4th May 2012, 06:04

Part of the problem here is way Find handles stashes.

As it stands, if you are looking for, say "arrow" and you have 18 different kinds of arrows in your stash, find locates "18 poison arrows (+4)" and you won't know what the other 3 are till you go there (at least, I don't know the correct button to examine the stash from a distance; used to be you could just right click it during a shift-x; really helped when crap was under a plant.)
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 4th May 2012, 06:33

XuaXua wrote:Part of the problem here is way Find handles stashes.

As it stands, if you are looking for, say "arrow" and you have 18 different kinds of arrows in your stash, find locates "18 poison arrows (+4)" and you won't know what the other 3 are till you go there (at least, I don't know the correct button to examine the stash from a distance; used to be you could just right click it during a shift-x; really helped when crap was under a plant.)

I think it's either - or / to show what is in a stack while searching

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 4th May 2012, 08:00

mageykun wrote:Heck, just making spells searchable would do it. Have ctrl F spell just show you every spell crtl F book would bring up, just not sorted into books.

Implemented like that, it would work, yeah.

XuaXua wrote:I don't know the correct button to examine the stash from a distance

Try reading the line at the top of the screen. It tells you which key does what.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Return to Game Design Discussion