Make letters Ä and Ö usable (for translation purposes)

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Saturday, 12th May 2012, 21:42

Make letters Ä and Ö usable (for translation purposes)

So yeah, I got the ridiculous idea of translating every translatable part of Crawl to Finnish (because I love translating and Crawl), and this went great until I noticed all instances of letters Ä and Ö appeared as reverse question marks (or something) in game. As these letters are a very big part of the language, it didn't work out. So, could this little thing be fixed? :)

Eringya's Employee

Post Saturday, 12th May 2012, 21:59

Re: Make letters Ä and Ö usable (for translation purposes)

Unless things are different for these specific characters, if you're trying to translate something then view the result on Tiles, it won't work, because Tiles doesn't support Unicode, yet. Console does, however. I'd prefer it if someone more knowledgeable about this stuff were to answer this for you for sure, though.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 13th May 2012, 09:57

Yes, that's exactly it. Unicode isn't supported in tiles yet, but it hopefully will be soon. We really need it since we're actually translating crawl. Btw, shiduda, you should put your translations on transifex so they get into the game. The translation project is just starting, so there's no doc yet (will be soon, promised!) and it's only descriptions and quotes for now.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Sunday, 13th May 2012, 19:48

Sounds very interesting! How do I exactly start translating on that site? I just requested Finnish as a language to that site, I guess it has to get accepted so I can join the translation team, and then I can start translating?

E: Nevermind, already started translating ;)

Return to Game Design Discussion