Amphibious Naga

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 20th April 2012, 18:09

Amphibious Naga

Would it change a lot if Naga were amphibious?

I'm not asking about this because of power or anything, but rather because snakes are traditionally very good at swimming so it seems odd to me that Naga cannot swim.

I don't think it would really change much in the game and it would be a nice flavor addition, especially with constriction being moved to lvl 13. Maybe grant the ability to swim at lvl 6?

So yah, I suggest granting Naga the ability to swim at a certain level.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 20th April 2012, 18:29

Re: Amphibious Naga

We already have 2 swimming species plus grey draconians. Naga also have extra stability (they don't fumble in shallow water). And they don't need to be buffed.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
Thymos

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 20th April 2012, 18:32

Oh, didn't realize they were stable. I just play Naga all the time (they are my favorite species) so I didn't know other races stumbled.

I wasn't thinking of it as a buff, but just a flavor addition. Nevermind then.

Thanks for the quick response.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 20th April 2012, 20:27

I think it might be interesting if Naga COULD swim, but could NOT attack or do anything but move or stay in place while in deep water.

Merfolk? Swim, sure.
Octopodes? Totally, ok.
Gray Draconians? Whatever. Heavy but don't breathe so they're OK.
Naga? Too heavy to swim AND fight properly. Must be able to breathe and they probably don't float due to top-heaviness.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 22nd April 2012, 04:04

XuaXua wrote:I think it might be interesting if Naga COULD swim, but could NOT attack or do anything but move or stay in place while in deep water.

Haha, I can't wait to see the first level 27 naga die from being surrounded in water by trivial amphibious creatures, unable to read so much as a teleport scroll.
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 22nd April 2012, 06:07

That would be an interesting situation.

Return to Game Design Discussion