Minor interface suggestion: Dungeon Overview screen

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 14th April 2012, 19:32

Minor interface suggestion: Dungeon Overview screen

couple suggestions for the Dungeon Overview (Ctrl+O) screen:

If there's a branch that has a rune, and you haven't collected the rune yet, its name should be in a different color, maybe purple. Once you get the rune, the color should go back to gold, as normal.

You should be able to go to any place/altar/shop/exclusion/whatever listed on this screen screen simply by using arrow keys to select between them and Enter to confirm.

I don't play trunk, so it's possible some of these things have already been done.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 14th April 2012, 19:57

Re: Minor interface suggestion: Dungeon Overview screen

Both are good ideas and have been discussed already -- without results, unfortunately.

For runic branches, I'd suggest showing the rune after the branch title. For example instead of
Swamp (2/4) Lair:3
do
Swamp (2/4{) Lair:3
where { has the native rune colour if it's still there, otherwise is darkgrey.

Iwould have lobbied for this if it weren't for the following two problems:
a) Only really works for console.
b) Runes with elemental colours.

The advantage is that there is not much meta-information: the presentation indicates that the rune is at the end and shows at a glance if the branch is interesting rune-wise or not.

Using Crtl-O to travel has long been asked for. I just don't know how to do it. I guess that is not an issue with tiles mode: just click on the shop, altar etc. For console, there could be shortkeys:
A (for "a"ltar) - grey everything out apart from the god name initials. So that e.g. 'ak' travels to the nearest altar of Kikubaaqudgha.
S (for "shop") - no idea how to follow up.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 14th April 2012, 20:19

I'm not sure what exactly using Ctrl-O to travel would help. You can already Ctrl+F for both altars and shops (and the contents of shops) and that seems to be entirely adequate in this case. I can't think of any instance where I would rather ctrl+o to a shop than search for a specific item, see its price, and get taken to it to purchase it.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 14th April 2012, 21:03

dpeg wrote:Using Crtl-O to travel has long been asked for. I just don't know how to do it. I guess that is not an issue with tiles mode: just click on the shop, altar etc.

It doesn't work in tiles either. The dungeon overview isn't a real menu, it's just text. Making it interactive and clickable would mean some refactoring to make it use the various menu classes, like I did with the skill menu.
Shops needs it too.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 14th April 2012, 21:19

Blade: The idea to use Ctrl-O for reaching altars and branches is really natural. Darshan asked for it a number of times. Not so useful for shops, granted. This solves my interface issus since it's easy to do branches similarly to what I proposed for altars. (Use the Ctrl-G letters of branches.)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 14th April 2012, 23:28

dpeg wrote:For runic branches, I'd suggest showing the rune after the branch title. For example instead of
Swamp (2/4) Lair:3
do
Swamp (2/4{) Lair:3
where { has the native rune colour if it's still there, otherwise is darkgrey.

There's no point in distinguishing ordinary branches from those branches which the player has collected the rune from.

Neither is there, in my opinion, any gain to doing a rainbow fruit salad with the rune colors -- give them all the same color.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 15th April 2012, 16:11

dpeg wrote:For console, there could be shortkeys:
A (for "a"ltar) - grey everything out apart from the god name initials. So that e.g. 'ak' travels to the nearest altar of Kikubaaqudgha.
S (for "shop") - no idea how to follow up.

Pressing these hotkeys or clicking on an altar or shop entry could bring up the Ctrl-F screen for "altar" or "shop". That would let the player either auto-travel to the location or, in the case of shops, browse the inventory.

Edit: What would the Shining One's hotkey be? (T, S and O are taken)

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 15th April 2012, 16:54

Hotkey for TSO would be "1" and probably already is in the ?/G list.

The issue is not very important (which is why nothing ever happened) but the desire to travel from Ctrl-O is natural: after exploring the Temple, many look at Ctrl-O to choose a god. Likewise, planning where to go often uses Ctrl-O. Having to leave that screen and use G or Ctrl-F is a minor inconvenience.

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 17th April 2012, 15:00

Rast wrote:If there's a branch that has a rune, and you haven't collected the rune yet, its name should be in a different color, maybe purple. Once you get the rune, the color should go back to gold, as normal.

I'd love to see this, considering recently I managed to overlook my silver rune in a cleared V:8 and ascend without it. :oops:

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 17th April 2012, 16:41

Dustbin wrote:
Rast wrote:If there's a branch that has a rune, and you haven't collected the rune yet, its name should be in a different color, maybe purple. Once you get the rune, the color should go back to gold, as normal.

I'd love to see this, considering recently I managed to overlook my silver rune in a cleared V:8 and ascend without it. :oops:

A really easy fix for this kind of problem would be if the { screen had a

<n> / 15 runes collected

Message at the top or bottom of the list.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 17th April 2012, 16:46

I saw into the future and implemented that a couple of hours ago (it was already the case for the rune display on the % screen).

For this message the author Kate has received thanks:
mageykun

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 17th April 2012, 19:18

Dustbin wrote:

putting "<rune of Zot" into autopickup_exceptions might be helpful. I've yet to reach a rune since I added it though.

incidentally, is there ever a drawback to picking up a rune (out of combat)? the only effects I remember are removing -cTele, which can't hurt you. I guess you're wasting the Ashenzari piety boost, but I don't seem to need that.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Return to Game Design Discussion