Have potion drop rates changed? (WAS: Trove asking...)

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 13th April 2012, 18:06

Have potion drop rates changed? (WAS: Trove asking...)

This is off topic but not worth of it's ownthread. I'm playing a HOEE at clvl16 and on dungeon: 17. I still do not have heal wounds identified, and have no unidentified potions stashed or packed. Been playing this character through four revisions of trunk; have the drop rates been adjusted for some consumables or is this unbelievably bad rng?
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 13th April 2012, 18:46

Re: Have potion drop rates changed? (WAS: Trove asking...)

Okay, wasn't intending for this to be it's own thread, so I might as well elaborate and make this thread worthy.

I actually just found what I think is my first heal wounds potion - on Spider's Nest 1, a green unidentified potion that has been tried by another monster. To my knowledge, there are only a few potions that monsters actually drink - heal wounds being one of them - the rest of which I have identified.

I cleared lair, dived to orc 4 for the shops, explored every level and shop up to D:17, and didn't find one heal wounds potion until spider's lair. This isn't a complaint, just a inquiry of possible consumable drop rate adjustment.
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Barkeep

Post Friday, 13th April 2012, 19:32

New threads are better than resurrecting old threads with offtopic content.

Also: I'm not seeing anything about potion frequency in the commit logs. Bad RNG.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 13th April 2012, 20:49

You now that we don't have to pay to create threads, right?

I don't think there has been any adjustment to item drops lately. Heal wounds aren't very common, so what you're describing is unlikely, but not impossible.

Monsters can use curing, heal wounds, berserk, speed, might and invisibility. And vampire can drink blood too.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 13th April 2012, 21:05

galehar wrote:And vampire can drink blood too.

Out of curiosity, does that do anything for them, or is this behavior just for flavor?

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 14th April 2012, 05:03

Sorry, I'm a 9 year member of SA and aren't used to creating threads unless they have a massive commitment to content and a desire to start a worthwhile conversation. I didn't think the question merited it's own thread because I had no real reason to challenge the drop code.
Last edited by twelwe on Saturday, 14th April 2012, 05:05, edited 1 time in total.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 14th April 2012, 05:04

mageykun wrote:

Out of curiosity, does that do anything for them, or is this behavior just for flavor?

probably changes resistances, dead/alive effects

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 14th April 2012, 08:00

mageykun wrote:

It heals them.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 14th April 2012, 17:35

Is it possible that the monsters AI face the same situations as a player : drinking an unknown potion (for the better or the worst) as a last resort when facing a near death situation (same as reading an unknown scroll too) , or are the monsters always 100% using only identified items ?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 14th April 2012, 17:47

Robsoie wrote:Is it possible that the monsters AI face the same situations as a player : drinking an unknown potion (for the better or the worst) as a last resort when facing a near death situation (same as reading an unknown scroll too) , or are the monsters always 100% using only identified items ?

Monsters don't distinguish between the identification status of items. They use only certain items under certain situations, and don't use them outside those situations even if it would be sensible. The items don't even have the same effect on the monsters as they would have on the player.

Return to Game Design Discussion