Frogs and Toads monster-type

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 13th February 2011, 12:59

Frogs and Toads monster-type

Just got this idea.
Met in trunk new skybeast monster and was amazed how many features it has - flying, turns invisible, makes rain, ets.
And thought to myself "why can't already existing monsters be improved to distinguish them more"
Just scratched the surface and frogs came to my mind.
As of now - they very much similar to hound-family monsters. Fast, run when injured and have very similar stats - just compare giant frog and hound. The main difference now is that frogs are amphibious and hounds can sense invisible.

What if frogs could "leap" like real frogs actually do?
By leaping, frogs can jump over 1-2 squares in an instant, much like Knight chess-piece only in a straight line.
Apparently, blink frogs don't need this feature. And in before comparison of leap and blinking - it's only two squares and never random - frog either jumps over obstacles to get to the player, or jumps over everything at it's path when fleeing from him.

It adds so much more tactical thinking when dealing with frogs and more so with another monsters around.
Just imagine classic situation - bunch of monsters, say, goblin,ogre and a frog. You lure them all in a corridor. Kill goblin and frog stands now before you, with ogre behind it, waiting his turn. "No problem, I can handle them one by one" you think. The very next turn frog leaps over you and now you standing with frog and ogre at each side of you. :twisted:

Same situation - but behind you is solid wall. Frog can't jump over you and you happily bash it. But when it drops to low health - it panics, leaps over the ogre and flees beyond the horizon. You left standing before the ogre, probably softened up by that annoying frog that got away :)

The main problem as I see that it's hard to code probably. And I certainly don't have a skill for coding. So if someone, who knows how to patch, gets inspired by this, please try to embody this idea into life :)

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 14th February 2011, 16:31

Re: Frogs and Toads monster-type

While blink frogs and spiny frogs have their own gimmicks and giant frogs are rather strong when they appear already and therefore don't really need a buff, giant toads are dreadfully boring and this ability might make them a bit more interesting.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 14th February 2011, 17:33

Re: Frogs and Toads monster-type

coolio wrote:While blink frogs and spiny frogs have their own gimmicks and giant frogs are rather strong when they appear already and therefore don't really need a buff, giant toads are dreadfully boring and this ability might make them a bit more interesting.

Yup, many cool ideas out there. But it would be strange if giant toad could leap - and every other toad/frog can't.

Giant frogs are strong, but also, they boring like giant toads are. And they step in hound territory, a bit stronger however.
It could gain a leap ability and made a little weaker to balance this out.
Personally I would prefer frog as it is in strength with leap ability, even if it would increase it's difficulty very much. Because fighting enemy that can jump over you and leap around during a fight IMHO is awesome :)

Return to Game Design Discussion