Charm Pikel, Slaves are Friendly?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 10th April 2012, 19:12

Charm Pikel, Slaves are Friendly?

In trunk, you hit Pikel with Charm (wand) and the slaves become friendly.

Pikel reverts and... slaves are no longer his to command?

I guess this is how it's been handled since forever, but it seems weird.

Or has it? I don't know that I've ever charmed Pikel before.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 10th April 2012, 19:29

Re: Charm Pikel, Slaves are Friendly?

XuaXua wrote:In trunk, you hit Pikel with Charm (wand) and the slaves become friendly.

Pikel reverts and... slaves are no longer his to command?

They've tasted freedom from Pikel's cruel lash, and they won't go back. They'll die before they go back!

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 10th April 2012, 20:15

It's been this way for ages. Flavor wise, I believe Pikel can't maintain his magical domination of the slaves while he himself is dominated. And then yeah, they'll die before going back.

Classic Okawru screw-up- I'll just charm Pikel, breaking his hold on his slaves, then smack him to break the charm before the slaves wander off and can help kill him...

"You will pay for this transgression, mortal!"

*Cue string of swears*.

...stupid Okawru honor. It's not "treat your allies well" because, let's face it, an Okawaru-ite has no reliable source of permanent allies. Apparently being honorable means not beating your magically enthralled slaves. You know, as opposed to just dominating their minds, and forcing them to attack their friends, or sending them on suicide runs. That's only slightly dishonorable.

For this message the author mageykun has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 10th April 2012, 20:18

Why are they magically enthralled with him instead of just, you know, slaves because he's big and mean and carries a branded whip to beat them? It's flavor text, but if they didn't turn you could use Stockholm Syndrome as an excuse.

Also, I had no idea this ever happened; I really did, apparently, never succeed at charming the big rat.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 10th April 2012, 20:21

mageykun wrote:It's not "treat your allies well" because, let's face it, an Okawaru-ite has no reliable source of permanent allies. Apparently being honorable means not beating your magically enthralled slaves. You know, as opposed to just dominating their minds, and forcing them to attack their friends, or sending them on suicide runs. That's only slightly dishonorable.

"You will pay for this transgression, mortal!"

Oh no, I've accidentally attacked this completely magically generated, soulless shadow of unintelligence that can't actually feel the pain, but does what I command!

Return to Game Design Discussion