How much would you pay for an ettin? or I want a merc hut

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 12th April 2012, 13:08

How much would you pay for an ettin? or I want a merc hut

Times ago I tossed an idea of a new type of shop in which you buy the services of mercenary monsters (randomly generated) that would be permanent allies until they die.

It's a nice feature inspired in Warcraft3 and useful if your god or your magic cannot provide some additional help.

The main difficulty is to establish the price of the monsters. How much for an ettin ? how much for a plain orc ? how much for an elf sorcerer ? and so on.

I open this thread to share thoughts and to define the cost of mercenaries.
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 12th April 2012, 13:43

Re: How much would you pay for an ettin? or I want a merc hu

inb4 "permanent allies are troublesome" posts

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 12th April 2012, 13:49

permanent allies are troublesome.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 12th April 2012, 14:02

If this is the only problem make them loyal for a given number of turns and then: a) it turns neutral and looks for an exit b) it turns Jiyva-like ally and doesn't care of you anymore, c) it disappears, probably going back to the hut again to rest and not being able to rehire or somewhere else, nobody cares.

To make the change less traumatic, a warning should appear to inform that the ally's time is going to expire.
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 12th April 2012, 14:20

I don't know about having them in a shop, but there was an idea for something like this as a card that summons some monster or monster band, if you pay them then they're friendly and if not they're hostile. Permanent might be okay in that case (obviously it wouldn't be in a Nemelex-gifted deck if so). Cost would be some function of XP value, I guess.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 12th April 2012, 16:33

I request no more new permanent allies till Ally Reform.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 12th April 2012, 18:52

Well I was bored and new cards are fun to implement, so tough.

I went with using straight XP value as the cost for allies (randomised a bit of course), it seems surprisingly reasonable. I wouldn't mind making them long-lived but temporary instead and reducing the costs if need be, but it's probably okay to at least try it with permanent allies since it's in a deck that Nemelex doesn't gift. For the monsters I went with player species, since that made it easier to compile a selection and there's a good range of strengths available - so no ettins, but you can pay 4000 gold for a deep elf blademaster maybe. :P

For this message the author Kate has received thanks: 2
crate, evilmike

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 12th April 2012, 19:05

MarvinPA wrote:Well I was bored and new cards are fun to implement, so tough.

I went with using straight XP value as the cost for allies (randomised a bit of course), it seems surprisingly reasonable. I wouldn't mind making them long-lived but temporary instead and reducing the costs if need be, but it's probably okay to at least try it with permanent allies since it's in a deck that Nemelex doesn't gift. For the monsters I went with player species, since that made it easier to compile a selection and there's a good range of strengths available - so no ettins, but you can pay 4000 gold for a deep elf blademaster maybe. :P

Or if you don't have the money, the now immediately next-to-you monster attacks the crap out of you.
Hooray, Blademasters.
How about a check against Evocations to determine if it will end up being hostile or neutral?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 12th April 2012, 20:37

XuaXua wrote:Or if you don't have the money, the now immediately next-to-you monster attacks the crap out of you.
Hooray, Blademasters.
How about a check against Evocations to determine if it will end up being hostile or neutral?

Evocations already determine the power of the card which affects the power of the mercenary. If Evocations also determine the monster's attitude, then it's just another summoning card.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 12th April 2012, 21:20

Welp, that's it then. We officially need to add a charisma score.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 12th April 2012, 21:28

mageykun wrote:Welp, that's it then. We officially need to add a charisma score.

Comeliness

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 12th April 2012, 21:30

galehar wrote:
XuaXua wrote:Or if you don't have the money, the now immediately next-to-you monster attacks the crap out of you.
Hooray, Blademasters.

Evocations already determine the power of the card which affects the power of the mercenary. If Evocations also determine the monster's attitude, then it's just another summoning card.

The potential for being unable to pay the merc makes these decks a heck of a lot more dangerous than helpful to Nemelex followers.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 12th April 2012, 21:32

How easy is it to implement a new card? What source files are the main ones?

XuaXua wrote:The potential for being unable to pay the merc makes these decks a heck of a lot more dangerous than helpful to Nemelex followers.

Guess you'd better be careful about drawing cards, then.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 12th April 2012, 21:34

XuaXua wrote:
galehar wrote:
Hooray, Blademasters.

The potential for being unable to pay the merc makes these decks a heck of a lot more dangerous than helpful to Nemelex followers.

Draw three and stack five are not there just for decoration, you know.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 12th April 2012, 21:59

XuaXua wrote:The potential for being unable to pay the merc makes these decks a heck of a lot more dangerous than helpful to Nemelex followers.

How is it more dangerous than getting hostile summons for a summoning card?
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 12th April 2012, 22:03

nicolae wrote:

How easy is it to implement a new card? What source files are the main ones?

If you follow that link, you'll see exactly what changes MarvinPA made to the source to implement the new card.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 12th April 2012, 22:06

njvack wrote:If you follow that link, you'll see exactly what changes MarvinPA made to the source to implement the new card.

Yeah, I realized that right after I posted. :oops:

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 12th April 2012, 22:09

nicolae wrote:How easy is it to implement a new card? What source files are the main ones?

You can see from the commit page that this one was entirely in decks.cc, as was the Alchemist, the last card I added, and as are many of the existing cards. The other files are just all the descriptions - annoyingly, you have to manually update the description of each deck that a new card can appear in, nobody's gotten around to automatically generating those yet. Ease of implementation depends on what you want to do, but there's lots that can be accomplished with existing mechanics, and you can just read through decks.cc to get quite a good idea of how existing cards work.

Nemelex doesn't gift it. And Nemelex or not, if you're drawing blindly from unidentified legendary decks then there are plenty of worse things that can happen than maybe needing to teleport away from a monster. Cards are risky!

Return to Game Design Discussion