Spider branch

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 22nd May 2012, 16:49

Re: Spider branch

I love the orb spiders. I remember 4.1 being annoying when all animals fled at 70% health or whatever it was, but this is different because orb spiders have a ranged attack. And a slow ranged attack, at that, so I have real opportunities to do smart and dumb things with terrain.

I'd like to see an increased number and some variety of scorpions. Somehow elemental scorpions make more sense to me than elemental spiders, if elemental attacks are the best idea out there. And it would be swell if summon scorpions made more than one kind of ally.

I haven't thought to test whether flying avoids webs. If it does, then flying is the solution to terrain in swamp, shoals, and spider, which is not good. Either all webs can be placed higher, so they have a higher chance of catching (or a lower chance of releasing) a flying character than a walking one, or there can be different web types like high webs and low webs that work differently depending on whether you are levitating or not.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 22nd May 2012, 17:01

Webs should be flammable.

For this message the author Grimm has received thanks:
mageykun

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 22nd May 2012, 17:37

Grimm wrote:Webs should be flammable.

I brought this up a while back and got yelled at because the reasoning is web silk is not flammable; real life webs burn because they're so thin, they can't do anything else.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 22nd May 2012, 17:42

jejorda2 wrote:I'd like to see an increased number and some variety of scorpions. Somehow elemental scorpions make more sense to me than elemental spiders, if elemental attacks are the best idea out there. And it would be swell if summon scorpions made more than one kind of ally.

Turn fire crabs into fire scorpions and have them appear in Spider?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 22nd May 2012, 17:51

XuaXua wrote:

I brought this up a while back and got yelled at because the reasoning is web silk is not flammable; real life webs burn because they're so thin, they can't do anything else.

That's more a semantic argument. Webs burning and webs shriveling to the point of uselessness from extreme heat are functionally identical in the context of the game.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 22nd May 2012, 18:04

XuaXua wrote:

...considering the apparent size of most of the explosions and bolts in the game, I'd say the assuming the flame >> silk diameter is pretty safe. It would probably scale. (Although this kind of logic is silly, over-think it and we'll be back where we were with wax in the hive- a confusing selection of only certain fire attacks working). More generally, I'd say options to outright destroy traps / obstacles instead of fiddling with them until they disarm are interesting.

Jeremiah wrote:Turn fire crabs into fire scorpions and have them appear in Spider?

I'd say they'd fit right in without the rename. Crabs aren't quite as closely related to spiders as scorpions, but an arthropod's an arthropod.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 22nd May 2012, 18:05

minmay wrote:Orb spiders...do I seriously need to explain why introducing the single most ridiculed feature from 4.1 is a bad idea?

I was not aware that monsters that fire a semi-unique, terrain-deforming projectile that prompt movement in an open habitat that traps and surrounds players, as well as imperfectly attacking/walking in bursts, exclusively in a Lair branch, are just like (to take the most probelmatic of the example space) d:5 monsters firing generic projectiles with possible brands while always being faster then default/average characters. The innate behaviour of something maintaining range to attack from a distance is always worthless: Nessos should clearly be removed, too. Good to know.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 22nd May 2012, 19:35

XuaXua wrote:

The reasoning I've read is that fire is already useful in many other contexts and letting it burn through webs would make it even more of a no-brainer.
Previous

Return to Game Design Discussion