Branch staircase mimic

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 18th March 2012, 19:28

Branch staircase mimic

I don't mind if this is working as intended, but it struck me as a possible bug. Are branch staircase mimics supposed to exist? I found a themed room with various naga inside with a staircase to the snake pits, left it alone for a while, came back later, and found it to be a mimic. Particularly clever.

dk

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 18th March 2012, 19:50

Re: Branch staircase mimic

Whelk wrote:Are branch staircase mimics supposed to exist?

Yes, they are AFAIK.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 18th March 2012, 20:12

Indeed. As long as you still have the other lair branch entrances (or another entrance to the snake pit), everything is fine. And I'm quite confident it is, since this code has been in for quite some time now.
I'm really happy with how they spawn in branch entrance vaults :)
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 19th March 2012, 11:48

Do mimics interact with other dungeon mobs? The reason I ask is that in my last Ashenzari game, I seemed to notice a lot more mimics than before, and I'm wondering if it's just because Ash's power lets me know they're there before I stand next to them. Have they always been there and instead they're beating up some hapless hobgoblin or rat?
  Code:
Jory screams, "No, no!" before exploding into a cloud of blood!

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 19th March 2012, 21:41

tcjsavannah wrote:Do mimics interact with other dungeon mobs? The reason I ask is that in my last Ashenzari game, I seemed to notice a lot more mimics than before, and I'm wondering if it's just because Ash's power lets me know they're there before I stand next to them. Have they always been there and instead they're beating up some hapless hobgoblin or rat?

How do they interact with other mobs? I'm not sure I understand what you're saying, but I see only one reason why they would attack other monsters. When they are revealed, if another monster happens to be standing on them, it will be pushed aside and it won't like it, which may start a fight. But this should be quite rare. Have you been seeing this often?
Other than that, their behaviour with Ash (and antennae) has been changed a bit in 0.10. They used to wander when revealed by detection in 0.9, now they stay put.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 20th March 2012, 15:36

I was just curious given that some mobs open doors, pick up gold coins, etc. and the more mimics I saw (including one IMO OOD at D:7) were a function of Ash revealing them to me before something else happened to them. I'll just chalk it up to RNG.
  Code:
Jory screams, "No, no!" before exploding into a cloud of blood!

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 20th March 2012, 23:52

tcjsavannah wrote:I was just curious given that some mobs open doors, pick up gold coins, etc. and the more mimics I saw (including one IMO OOD at D:7) were a function of Ash revealing them to me before something else happened to them. I'll just chalk it up to RNG.

When mimics aren't revealed, they are real items and real features. Monsters can open door mimics, and they can walk through item and feature mimics. They don't use stairs mimics and don't pick up item mimics. When mimics are revealed (either by Ash , antennae or walking next to them) they are turned into real monsters. Other monsters can't walk over them anymore, but they won't attack them either. Unless they happen to be standing on them when they are revealed. Maybe this should be the case only if the monster is friendly to you. Makes sense.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 16:35

galehar wrote:They don't use stairs mimics and don't pick up item mimics.

Would a harpy eat an item mimic posing as food, assuming that item mimics can still mimic food? (Sounds like a wizmode test.)
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 17:15

If you can land on top of a stairs mimic, you can take the portal to mimic world.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks:
mageykun

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 17:56

Stormfox wrote:
galehar wrote:They don't use stairs mimics and don't pick up item mimics.

Would a harpy eat an item mimic posing as food, assuming that item mimics can still mimic food? (Sounds like a wizmode test.)

Well, I tried to test it in wizmode and realized that there isn't any food mimic! Maybe there could be...

XuaXua wrote:If you can land on top of a stairs mimic, you can take the portal to mimic world.

I think it's a joke, but just in case... There used to be a bug that allowed you to use stair mimics if you manage to land on them. Was especially buggy for branch entry mimics. It's fixed now, if you manage to land on a mimic, it reveals itself and pushes you off.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 18:07

galehar wrote:
XuaXua wrote:If you can land on top of a stairs mimic, you can take the portal to mimic world.

I think it's a joke, but just in case... There used to be a bug that allowed you to use stair mimics if you manage to land on them. Was especially buggy for branch entry mimics. It's fixed now, if you manage to land on a mimic, it reveals itself and pushes you off.

Mimic World Portal needs to be made a reality, if only for tournaments.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 18:46

galehar wrote:Well, I tried to test it in wizmode and realized that there isn't any food mimic! Maybe there could be...

I think there should be mimics for everything. Player mimics which look just like you, stand right beside you, do every move you do, and there's a 50% chance that the screen will center on them instead to fool the player.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 18:56

A few more suggestions like that, and we will have GUI mimics and game executable mimics that hog your processor when started. Come on, guys, do not be that ridiculous!
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 19:41

MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:A few more suggestions like that, and we will have GUI mimics and game executable mimics that hog your processor when started. Come on, guys, do not be that ridiculous!

*shakes fist at you, turns back into a Poster Mimic* Curses, I was so close to spreading my mimic kin throughout the Internet!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 20:00

nicolae wrote:Player mimics which look just like you, stand right beside you, do every move you do, and there's a 50% chance that the screen will center on them instead to fool the player.

Crawl: Eternal Darkness Edition

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 22:38

XuaXua wrote:Mimic World Portal needs to be made a reality, if only for tournaments.

Coincidentally we're working on Hyperreal Crawl over in the Generic Brainstorming thread. The dawn of the meta-roguelike approacheth.

Return to Game Design Discussion