Branch staircase mimic


Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

User avatar

Mines Malingerer

Posts: 50

Joined: Monday, 20th December 2010, 06:21

Post Sunday, 18th March 2012, 19:28

Branch staircase mimic

I don't mind if this is working as intended, but it struck me as a possible bug. Are branch staircase mimics supposed to exist? I found a themed room with various naga inside with a staircase to the snake pits, left it alone for a while, came back later, and found it to be a mimic. Particularly clever.

dk

User avatar

Snake Sneak

Posts: 104

Joined: Wednesday, 7th December 2011, 22:20

Location: Germany

Post Sunday, 18th March 2012, 19:50

Re: Branch staircase mimic

Whelk wrote:Are branch staircase mimics supposed to exist?


Yes, they are AFAIK.
User avatar

Dungeon Master

Posts: 4031

Joined: Thursday, 16th December 2010, 20:37

Location: France

Post Sunday, 18th March 2012, 20:12

Re: Branch staircase mimic

Indeed. As long as you still have the other lair branch entrances (or another entrance to the snake pit), everything is fine. And I'm quite confident it is, since this code has been in for quite some time now.
I'm really happy with how they spawn in branch entrance vaults :)
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...
User avatar

Vaults Vanquisher

Posts: 482

Joined: Thursday, 16th December 2010, 21:08

Location: Savannah, Ga.

Post Monday, 19th March 2012, 11:48

Re: Branch staircase mimic

Do mimics interact with other dungeon mobs? The reason I ask is that in my last Ashenzari game, I seemed to notice a lot more mimics than before, and I'm wondering if it's just because Ash's power lets me know they're there before I stand next to them. Have they always been there and instead they're beating up some hapless hobgoblin or rat?
  Code:
Jory screams, "No, no!" before exploding into a cloud of blood!
User avatar

Dungeon Master

Posts: 4031

Joined: Thursday, 16th December 2010, 20:37

Location: France

Post Monday, 19th March 2012, 21:41

Re: Branch staircase mimic

tcjsavannah wrote:Do mimics interact with other dungeon mobs? The reason I ask is that in my last Ashenzari game, I seemed to notice a lot more mimics than before, and I'm wondering if it's just because Ash's power lets me know they're there before I stand next to them. Have they always been there and instead they're beating up some hapless hobgoblin or rat?

How do they interact with other mobs? I'm not sure I understand what you're saying, but I see only one reason why they would attack other monsters. When they are revealed, if another monster happens to be standing on them, it will be pushed aside and it won't like it, which may start a fight. But this should be quite rare. Have you been seeing this often?
Other than that, their behaviour with Ash (and antennae) has been changed a bit in 0.10. They used to wander when revealed by detection in 0.9, now they stay put.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...
User avatar

Vaults Vanquisher

Posts: 482

Joined: Thursday, 16th December 2010, 21:08

Location: Savannah, Ga.

Post Tuesday, 20th March 2012, 15:36

Re: Branch staircase mimic

I was just curious given that some mobs open doors, pick up gold coins, etc. and the more mimics I saw (including one IMO OOD at D:7) were a function of Ash revealing them to me before something else happened to them. I'll just chalk it up to RNG.
  Code:
Jory screams, "No, no!" before exploding into a cloud of blood!
User avatar

Dungeon Master

Posts: 4031

Joined: Thursday, 16th December 2010, 20:37

Location: France

Post Tuesday, 20th March 2012, 23:52

Re: Branch staircase mimic

tcjsavannah wrote:I was just curious given that some mobs open doors, pick up gold coins, etc. and the more mimics I saw (including one IMO OOD at D:7) were a function of Ash revealing them to me before something else happened to them. I'll just chalk it up to RNG.

When mimics aren't revealed, they are real items and real features. Monsters can open door mimics, and they can walk through item and feature mimics. They don't use stairs mimics and don't pick up item mimics. When mimics are revealed (either by Ash , antennae or walking next to them) they are turned into real monsters. Other monsters can't walk over them anymore, but they won't attack them either. Unless they happen to be standing on them when they are revealed. Maybe this should be the case only if the monster is friendly to you. Makes sense.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Abyss Ambulator

Posts: 1196

Joined: Friday, 17th December 2010, 13:59

Location: Maryland, USA

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 16:35

Re: Branch staircase mimic

galehar wrote:They don't use stairs mimics and don't pick up item mimics.

Would a harpy eat an item mimic posing as food, assuming that item mimics can still mimic food? (Sounds like a wizmode test.)
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.
User avatar

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 5832

Joined: Thursday, 10th February 2011, 18:30

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 17:15

Re: Branch staircase mimic

If you can land on top of a stairs mimic, you can take the portal to mimic world.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks:
mageykun
User avatar

Dungeon Master

Posts: 4031

Joined: Thursday, 16th December 2010, 20:37

Location: France

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 17:56

Re: Branch staircase mimic

Stormfox wrote:
galehar wrote:They don't use stairs mimics and don't pick up item mimics.

Would a harpy eat an item mimic posing as food, assuming that item mimics can still mimic food? (Sounds like a wizmode test.)

Well, I tried to test it in wizmode and realized that there isn't any food mimic! Maybe there could be...

XuaXua wrote:If you can land on top of a stairs mimic, you can take the portal to mimic world.

I think it's a joke, but just in case... There used to be a bug that allowed you to use stair mimics if you manage to land on them. Was especially buggy for branch entry mimics. It's fixed now, if you manage to land on a mimic, it reveals itself and pushes you off.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...
User avatar

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 5832

Joined: Thursday, 10th February 2011, 18:30

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 18:07

Re: Branch staircase mimic

galehar wrote:
XuaXua wrote:If you can land on top of a stairs mimic, you can take the portal to mimic world.

I think it's a joke, but just in case... There used to be a bug that allowed you to use stair mimics if you manage to land on them. Was especially buggy for branch entry mimics. It's fixed now, if you manage to land on a mimic, it reveals itself and pushes you off.


Mimic World Portal needs to be made a reality, if only for tournaments.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Tartarus Sorceror

Posts: 1888

Joined: Saturday, 9th July 2011, 20:57

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 18:46

Re: Branch staircase mimic

galehar wrote:Well, I tried to test it in wizmode and realized that there isn't any food mimic! Maybe there could be...


I think there should be mimics for everything. Player mimics which look just like you, stand right beside you, do every move you do, and there's a 50% chance that the screen will center on them instead to fool the player.
User avatar

Vestibule Violator

Posts: 1593

Joined: Thursday, 19th May 2011, 16:38

Location: Penza, Russia

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 18:56

Re: Branch staircase mimic

A few more suggestions like that, and we will have GUI mimics and game executable mimics that hog your processor when started. Come on, guys, do not be that ridiculous!
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Tartarus Sorceror

Posts: 1888

Joined: Saturday, 9th July 2011, 20:57

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 19:41

Re: Branch staircase mimic

MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:A few more suggestions like that, and we will have GUI mimics and game executable mimics that hog your processor when started. Come on, guys, do not be that ridiculous!


*shakes fist at you, turns back into a Poster Mimic* Curses, I was so close to spreading my mimic kin throughout the Internet!
User avatar

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 5832

Joined: Thursday, 10th February 2011, 18:30

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 20:00

Re: Branch staircase mimic

nicolae wrote:Player mimics which look just like you, stand right beside you, do every move you do, and there's a 50% chance that the screen will center on them instead to fool the player.


Crawl: Eternal Darkness Edition
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 6393

Joined: Friday, 17th December 2010, 18:17

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 22:38

Re: Branch staircase mimic

XuaXua wrote:Mimic World Portal needs to be made a reality, if only for tournaments.

Coincidentally we're working on Hyperreal Crawl over in the Generic Brainstorming thread. The dawn of the meta-roguelike approacheth.

Return to Game Design Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.