Vaults for Labyrinth ending.

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 1st March 2013, 07:48

Vaults for Labyrinth ending.

Not sure if this has been discussed before. Did a search and didn't find much so sorry if it has!

I won't get into whether or not Labyrinths are good for the game (I particularly like them, although I'd change them a little, but that's a story for another day). What bothers me a bit is how anti-climactic the end of the labyrinths are: with that I mean the encounter with the minotaur. The fact that all his loot is piled up atop the stairs in a minuscule 1 tile wide corridor saddens me a bit. Give the poor guy some space right? If my mythology doesn't fail me they are supposed to know the labyrinth a bit (at least the center since they always dwell on it) so it should be able to choose the coziest room to do his minotaur things.

So I wonder if it wouldn't mess too much with the generation algorithms to make a small vault for the minotaur to be in at the center of the labyrinth. It doesn't need much variability, I think one vault would do.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 1st March 2013, 07:53

Re: Vaults for Labyrinth ending.

there are several ending vaults for the labyrinth, of varying complexity. One that uses multiple piles has the minotaur near skeletons of previous visitors, and each of those skeletons has associated items in the tile with it (for example, the spriggan skeleton might have a good dagger or quick blade, the draconian a cloak, etc.). (these are skeletons as in corpse remains, not animated)

I think the ending with the 2-3 minotaur zombies has loot in the zombie rooms too, so a little better than just one pile.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

For this message the author rchandra has received thanks:
Steel Neuron

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 1st March 2013, 07:55

rchandra wrote:there are several ending vaults for the labyrinth, of varying complexity. One that uses multiple piles has the minotaur near skeletons of previous visitors, and each of those skeletons has associated items in the tile with it (for example, the spriggan skeleton might have a good dagger or quick blade, the draconian a cloak, etc.). (these are skeletons as in corpse remains, not animated)

I think the ending with the 2-3 minotaur zombies has loot in the zombie rooms too, so a little better than just one pile.

Really? Wow, of the roughly 8 labyrinths I've done (I know it's not much) I haven't found a single ending vault, so I assumed there were none. Sorry! Is my case rare or are they simply not so common?

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 1st March 2013, 11:02

Which version did you play them in? The ending vaults might be a trunk addition.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 1st March 2013, 11:59

mumra wrote:Which version did you play them in? The ending vaults might be a trunk addition.

Ending vaults in the lab have been around at least since 0.6, according to the old versions I have sitting around. I suspect that Steel Neuron was struck by that most nebulous of monsters, the Clustering Illusion.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 1st March 2013, 12:09

nicolae wrote:that most nebulous of monsters, the Clustering Illusion.

That should totally be a thing in the abyss.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 1st March 2013, 12:15

nicolae wrote:
mumra wrote:Which version did you play them in? The ending vaults might be a trunk addition.

Ending vaults in the lab have been around at least since 0.6, according to the old versions I have sitting around. I suspect that Steel Neuron was struck by that most nebulous of monsters, the Clustering Illusion.

I think I might have been hit by a different beast, because the entirety of my experience is finding NO vaults. After 8 labyrinths without one, I don't think it's an illusion but rather an unfortunate, actual clustering =P

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 1st March 2013, 12:26

Steel Neuron wrote:I think I might have been hit by a different beast, because the entirety of my experience is finding NO vaults. After 8 labyrinths without one, I don't think it's an illusion but rather an unfortunate, actual clustering =P

That's what clustering illusion actually is; the "illusion" part where you think that something is wrong or missing from the game as a result of the clustering.

Actually looking at lab.des, some of the exit vaults look quite mazey anyway, so maybe you had a vault every time but didn't realise.

Barkeep

Post Friday, 1st March 2013, 13:47

mumra wrote:

Mara generally spawns in mid-D ;)
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 1st March 2013, 17:08

njvack wrote:
mumra wrote:

Mara generally spawns in mid-D ;)

Rakshasas and Boggarts were what came to my mind. Isn't Mara basically an uber Rakshasa anyway?

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 2nd March 2013, 11:07

mumra wrote:

I meet them in the Abyss all the time! Have you never seen one? Is it just me?
It trolls you. Helpless, you fail to dodge its attack! It trolls you.

For this message the author siggboy has received thanks: 2
Galefury, Grimm

Return to Game Design Discussion