I think Trog's wrath need a couple of short-terms teawk

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 1st March 2012, 14:55

I think Trog's wrath need a couple of short-terms teawk

I've recently played a MfBe which switched to TSO for extended game (btw, version 0.9). From my experience, I think that Trog needs a couple of adjustment.

First of all, training magic skills don't cause penance but only piety loss. This make really easy to train significantly spellcasting before abandoning Trog. For example, my MfBe could get spellcasting to almost 7 before depleting all the piety he had. If I wished, I could easily train to an higher level, maybe using an amulet of faith to farm piety quickly back. In any case, it wasn't really necessary, because with spellcasting at 6 I could already cast safely all level 2 spells and single school level 3 were already at good (and the main problem about this is obviously abjuration ;) ). I believe that a berserk who has just abandoned Trog shouldn't have immediate access to really useful spells (blink, swiftness, repel missiles, abjuration). As solution to this question, I propose that Trog put followers immediately in penance, if they try to raise spellcasting/ other magic schools.

Furthermore, I'd like if Trog's wrath had effects which sensibly slow your training in magic schools - after all, he hates magic, and he's mad at you, so why the two things aren't put together?
As lowering skill apts is already Ash's territory, I was thinking to something more short-terms and brutal - as Trog should be :lol: : an effect that totally blocks the training of a magic skill which is being studied,and that lasts a random (quite high) number of experience points is earned - in this way, a player couldn't simply wait the effect disappears.

Returning to the main topic, the second question I think needs a quick tweak is hostile BIA. The fact the enemies spawn in all the squares adjacent you, makes really easy to escape from them with a blink spell/artefact: in the worst (unlikely) case the player lands in a square near the posse - but still in a position which is 10 times better than the start - in most case, he lands far away from enemies, with plenty of turns to escape/deal with them.
A simple and easy solution could be to make enemies spawn in more random positions, with some empty squares between them: in that way would be less easily to escape/get in a really good position with a single blink.

Actually, I'd insert even more stronger solution, as BIA aren't *so* dreadful by the time a player usually abandons Trog - he's probably going to survive easily in a fight against them, if he plays smartly.
An idea could be to totally block blink, and delay teleport, to make necessary to fight/survive the enemies rather than just escape and wait they disappears. Another solution could be to make them permanent, with the ability to rage-at-will.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 1st March 2012, 17:38

Re: I think Trog's wrath need a couple of short-terms teawk

Wrath is supposed to be survivable. Blocking blink against 4 or 5 hostile berserk stone giants would probably be a death sentence for all but the best/luckiest of players. I like the other ideas though.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 1st March 2012, 17:39

Trog's wrath is already considered disproportionately harsh, why make it worse?
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 1st March 2012, 19:42

on my merfolk berserker - when i switched to TSO i waited in a pool of deep water wearing an amulet of faith and a ring of sustenence.

easiest wrath ever to wait out.

for other characters there are creative ways to avoid the stone giants from killing you - its just a matter of being prepared.

some thoughts -
flight
blink
invisibility
fog
teleportation
passwall ?
tomb card

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 1st March 2012, 22:31

I believe the devs want to avoid that sort of wrath scumming and plan to, at some point in the future remove the ability to do that. Trog's wrath is nasty but scummable. It needs an overhaul, not to be made harder.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 2nd March 2012, 08:59

TwilightPhoenix wrote:I believe the devs want to avoid that sort of wrath scumming and plan to, at some point in the future remove the ability to do that. Trog's wrath is nasty but scummable. It needs an overhaul, not to be made harder.

We could discuss about the fact Trog's wrath is so hard (magic god's wrath is ten million worse, for example) but the first point is the problem I'm talking about: hostile BIA can be dangerous but in this moment there are too many way to easily avoid them while, with the exception of passing out, other Trog's punishment are quite insignificant.
I don't think that blinking away/teleporting/invisibility/etc. should made so easy to avoid them - maybe could be better to summon less enemies (I actually I believe a character abandoning Trog is more than able to survive in a fight against BIA), but make sure they have to be killed, not simply wait until disappear!

Anyway if I've understood rightly, the dev are planning to overhaul all the wrath system, so we have only to wait ad see what's coming, and hope in RNG's mercy :lol:

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 12th February 2013, 04:24

Wow wow wow... Trog's wrath is already extremely dangerous. I've lost countless nice characters trying to switch from Trog to Oka, some very promising...

The last one is exemplar:

Code:
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.11.2 (console) character file.

278893 Asterion the Slayer (level 21, -6/210 HPs)
             Began as a Minotaur Berserker on Feb 10, 2013.
             Was the Champion of Okawaru.
             Mangled by a rock troll (7 damage)
             ... summoned by the rage of Trog
             ... on Level 7 of the Vaults on Feb 11, 2013.
             The game lasted 04:21:36 (52398 turns).

Asterion the Slayer (Minotaur Berserker)           Turns: 52398, Time: 04:21:36

HP  -6/210       AC 30     Str 27      XL: 21   Next: 55%
MP  34/34        EV  7     Int 11      God: Okawaru [******]
Gold 933         SH  0     Dex 16      Spells:  0 memorised, 20 levels left

Res.Fire  : . . .   See Invis. : +   l - +6,+4 battleaxe (vamp)
Res.Cold  : + . .   Warding    : .   m - +7 plate armour "Proskilu" {MR Dex+4 Int+3
Life Prot.: + . .   Conserve   : .   (no shield)
Res.Poison: .       Res.Corr.  : .   E - -2 wizard hat {MR}
Res.Elec. : .       Clarity    : .   w - +0 cloak of Negation {-Cast +Lev rC+ MR Ac
Sust.Abil.: . .     Spirit.Shd : .   K - -1 pair of gloves {god gift}
Res.Mut.  : .       Stasis     : .   e - +1 pair of boots {run} {god gift}
Res.Rott. : .       Ctrl.Telep.: .   I - amulet of faith
Saprovore : . . .   Levitation : .   C - ring of life protection
                    Ctrl.Flight: .   Z - ring of see invisible

@: about to teleport, quick, incredibly resistant to hostile enchantments,
extremely unstealthy
A: retaliatory headbutt, horns 2, Int +1
a: Heroism, Finesse, Renounce Religion, Evoke Levitation

You were on level 7 of the Vaults.
You worshipped Okawaru.
Okawaru was exalted by your worship.
You were not hungry.

You visited 5 branches of the dungeon, and saw 44 of its levels.
You visited 1 bazaar.
You also visited: Labyrinth, Sewer, Bailey and Ice Cave.

You collected 4708 gold pieces.
You spent 3795 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 c - a +5,+0 great mace of crushing
 l - a +6,+4 vampiric battleaxe (weapon)
 s - the +5,+2 battleaxe of the Valley {god gift, chop, rC+ Str-3 Int+4}
   (Okawaru gifted it to you on level 6 of the Vaults)   

It inflicts extra damage upon your enemies.

It affects your strength (-3).
   It affects your intelligence (+4).
   It protects you from cold.
 G - the +4,+1 battleaxe "Demonslayer" {god gift, chop, +Rage SInv}
   (Okawaru gifted it to you on level 7 of the Vaults)   

It inflicts extra damage upon your enemies.

It enhances your eyesight.
   It lets you go berserk.
Armour
 e - a +1 pair of boots of running (worn) {god gift}
 m - the cursed +7 plate armour "Proskilu" (worn) {MR Dex+4 Int+3 Curse}
   (You bought it in a shop on level 4 of the Orcish Mines)   

It affects your intelligence (+3).
   It affects your dexterity (+4).
   It increases your resistance to enchantments.
   It may recurse itself.
   It has a curse placed upon it.
 q - a +2 cloak of poison resistance {god gift}
 w - the +0 cloak of Negation (worn) {-Cast +Lev rC+ MR Acc+3}
   (You bought it in a shop on level 12 of the Dungeon)   

It affects your accuracy (+3).
   It protects you from cold.
   It increases your resistance to enchantments.
   It lets you levitate.
   It prevents spellcasting.
 E - a -2 wizard hat of magic resistance (worn)
 K - a -1 pair of gloves (worn) {god gift}
Magical devices
 a - a wand of heal wounds (6)
 b - a wand of digging (14)
 d - a wand of enslavement (13)
 f - a wand of flame (10)
 j - a wand of hasting (8)
 r - a wand of cold (5)
 t - a wand of frost (15)
 u - a wand of draining (2)
 y - a wand of fire (4)
 F - a wand of teleportation (6)
 M - a wand of fire (6)
 Q - a wand of disintegration (5)
 U - a wand of teleportation (7)
Comestibles
 B - a bread ration
 D - 7 meat rations
Scrolls
 n - 3 scrolls of remove curse
 z - 2 scrolls of recharging
 N - 3 scrolls of fog
 O - 2 scrolls of identify
Jewellery
 i - an uncursed ring of protection from fire
 p - an uncursed ring of protection from magic
 A - the ring "Ojioblot" {SustAb Dex+3 Int-3 Dam+5}
   (You found it on level 5 of the Dungeon)   

[ring of sustain abilities]

It affects your intelligence (-3).
   It affects your dexterity (+3).
   It affects your damage-dealing abilities (+5).
 C - a ring of life protection (right hand)
 I - an amulet of faith (around neck)
 L - the amulet of Ekos {rMut rPois}
   (You found it on level 16 of the Dungeon)   

[amulet of resist mutation]

It protects you from poison.
 P - the amulet of Dogma {-Tele +Rage rPois rN+}
   (You found it on level 14 of the Dungeon)   

[amulet of rage]

It protects you from poison.
   It protects you from negative energy.
   It prevents most forms of teleportation.
 Z - a ring of see invisible (left hand)
Potions
 g - 6 potions of curing
 h - 2 potions of brilliance
 k - 3 potions of might
 H - a potion of invisibility
 S - 3 potions of restore abilities
Books
 v - a book of Air   

Spells                             Type                      Level
   Shock                              Conjuration/Air              1
   Swiftness                          Charms/Air                   2
   Repel Missiles                     Charms/Air                   2
   Flight                             Charms/Air                   3
   Static Discharge                   Conjuration/Air              3
   Lightning Bolt                     Conjuration/Air              5

Skills:
 - Level 24.0 Fighting
 + Level 21.6 Axes
   Level 1.0 Maces & Flails
 - Level 20.8 Armour
 - Level 2.1 Dodging
 - Level 17.0 Invocations
 - Level 10.4 Evocations

You had 20 spell levels left.
You didn't know any spells.

This is how he died: He summons the bunch of enemies, I teleport successfully but i'm left with about 60 hp. He summons ANOTHER round while a wait for natural healing, they caught me with about 100 hp. First turn, I read a scroll of teleport. Second turn I wait (mistake, yeah). Third turn I have 79 hp but decide to use my wand of healing anyway... Too late, dead in one round....
I mean, I'm not sure when am I supposed to switch gods, but I thought this character was fairly well prepared for Trog's wrath (vaults were really easy to that point), and never thought I would get 81 hp damage in one round!!!
Trog's wrath is overpowered IMHO, taking blink and teleport away would just make it impossible to survive...
Last edited by Grimm on Tuesday, 12th February 2013, 08:29, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: code tags

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 12th February 2013, 04:31

I'm not sure why you're complaining about Trog wrath when it's one of the wraths that actually matters. Why not complain about, for instance, Zin wrath or Elyvilon wrath?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 12th February 2013, 07:02

Because this topic is 11 months old. I actually now do like the idea of Trog tampering with your magic, but not to the extreme suggested and not piled with the crazy berserker summons. Dunno if I should go into detail on my thoughts on that or not in a topic that'll probably get gravedug locked.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 12th February 2013, 07:35

Berserkers don't have a way to directly tamper with enemy's magic, so I think Trog's wrath shouldn't do it either. But maybe if Trog could occasionally increase monsters' MR (a la Trog's Hand, so a simple rat could suddenly be "extremely resistant"), it could be cool. The enemy generation could also be tweaked for a while, so that more monsters with anti-magic weapons could come up.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 12th February 2013, 08:31

If you abandon Trog, you don't keep running around the dungeon. You camp out over lava/in a dead end/near a tele trap for the on average 50000 turns it takes for him to calm down.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 12th February 2013, 08:59

Nice grave-digging!
Personally, after 11 months and various others Be won or splatted, I can only repeat that Trog's wrath is very plain and easy to survive. I don't know if it's coded, or I'm just very lucky, but I never had a BIA posse summoned in mildly-high tension moment, so I've never been in danger due it - heck, even this char who left Trog at xl 18 and had mediocre defences (for a Mi) had 0 problems dealing with BIA. Teleport away, maybe dig a corridor to wait it to kick-in , smash 5, end of the story.

in comparison, I believe Oka's wrath is much more dangerous, because armies are sent more frequently, in higher tension moment and usually there are both enemies able to deal great damage in melee (naga warriors, titans, stone giant) and with ranged attacks (titans, stone giants, centaurs warrior), and they're durably summoned, so at least you can't just blink + teleport away like nothing is happened.

crate wrote:I'm not sure why you're complaining about Trog wrath when it's one of the wraths that actually matters. Why not complain about, for instance, Zin wrath or Elyvilon wrath?

I don't like Zin or Ely play-stile, so I don't worship them very often - the only thing I can say I don't see a reason why one should suffer the good Gods' wrath: they provided every kind of benefits a player usually want, why bother to switch to an evil good? In the corner case one want to abandon them (e.g. good vampiric weapon found), there are many neutral good to choose from!

Grimm wrote:If you abandon Trog, you don't keep running around the dungeon. You camp out over lava/in a dead end/near a tele trap for the on average 50000 turns it takes for him to calm down.

No, you don't need do to this, you can keep to run in D, Pan, and Hells like usual.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 12th February 2013, 11:55

In an ancient old version, I abandoned Trog just so I'd get regular food delivery in Hell: "Yo Trog, I'm hungry and have my gourmand amulet on. I'd like a delivery of minotaur meat with a side order of stone giant meat". Yes, that was way back when summons left corporeal remains including EXP. I remember another character where I really wanted a demon whip and in the end, was flooded with them when I abandoned Makhleb - Balrug delivery!

Dangerous as Trog wrath is, an extended-level Be probably doesn't have problems coping with the summons (i.e. have renewable blink at hand or just diesel through them). But then, many players try to walk around with Trog wrath when they aren't EX-grade.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 12th February 2013, 12:06

Currently no god wrath at all cares about tension, so you're certainly imagining that part of it.

I think Trog wrath is fine other than the general problems with all non-Ashenzari wraths. It's dangerous enough that you cannot just shrug it off, but it's also something you can deal with with a strong character. If your character is doing hells I would certainly hope that your character can also deal with any god wrath ... otherwise you're making it so that switching gods isn't really an option, when it's designed to be one.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 12th February 2013, 12:09

Shouldn't the effects of all God Wraths scale with level? Or at least with the maximum piety you've ever reached on that god, which is an indirect measure of level.

I say this because being the newb I am, I abandoned Trog extremely early on one character (wasn't used to what God Wrath is) and it proved simply impossible to survive. I burned all my scrolls of tele and blink running from BIA, and once I was out of them, they just mauled me to death.

I'd prefer if they were an adequate challenge/punishment for all characters, not just be scaled for the endgame.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 12th February 2013, 12:24

Thing is, that's exactly the point of God Wrath - stops you from switching religion (unless you're with good gods) until lategame. Makes you think carefully whether to take up a readily available god as 'insurance' while you look for a rare (ok, I mean earlygame Jiyva here) altar. Nothing says "you're not supposed to do this" quite like "this is impossible to survive".

For this message the author Psieye has received thanks:
Grimm

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 12th February 2013, 14:21

pratamawirya wrote:Berserkers don't have a way to directly tamper with enemy's magic, so I think Trog's wrath shouldn't do it either. But maybe if Trog could occasionally increase monsters' MR (a la Trog's Hand, so a simple rat could suddenly be "extremely resistant"), it could be cool. The enemy generation could also be tweaked for a while, so that more monsters with anti-magic weapons could come up.

He could give his weapon-wielding summons antimagic weapons.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 12th February 2013, 14:35

All god wraths at some point will have to be worked down with experience (instead of time). I agree that Trog should not allow training up magic before desertion.

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks:
starless

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 12th February 2013, 15:53

Speaking of Oka's wrath, properly armed character with full HPs will be able to deal with one pack of enemies. With Trog's wrath it's definitely more difficult and blinking/teleporting is usually the only real chance. I recently died after leaving Trog, because BIA surrounded me in Abyss with no chance to teleport away. Bear also in mind that in no-cTele places random tele might lead to even worse situation just because of lack of luck. While some magic prohibition effects sound fine and thematic, I don't follow the idea of blocking tele/blink. Wrath should be survivable with clever playing, not with overpowered character who doesn't have to switch gods anyway.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 12th February 2013, 18:49

Well, since the thread is going on, Trog could...

-Blast you with anti-magic, the equivalent of getting hit by the brand itself.

-All BIA have anti-magic branded weapons, most of the time or always.

-Set your spellbooks on fire when you try to read them (might be too harsh, but it'd certainly be thematic).

-Increase enemy MR via Trog's Hand.

-Set your buffs on fire! Could do xDsomething damage, afflict the player with sticky flame, or both while removing some/all of the player's active buffs.

And yeah, Trog's BIA should scale with XL or something. If you're a lowbie, you should get getting ambushed by berserked kobolds, orcs, and orc warriors, not iron trolls.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 12th February 2013, 20:22

Regarding training magic with Trog, why not make it so you just can't, like how you can't train shields if you're not wielding a shield?

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 12th February 2013, 20:25

it already makes you lose piety.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 13th February 2013, 17:00

Grimm wrote:If you abandon Trog, you don't keep running around the dungeon. You camp out over lava/in a dead end/near a tele trap for the on average 50000 turns it takes for him to calm down.

Hi.
125115 | Coc:7 | Entered Level 7 of Cocytus
125423 | Coc:7 | Was placed under penance by Jiyva
125424 | Coc:7 | :: WHAT
125497 | Coc:7 | Noticed Antaeus
125549 | Coc:7 | Killed Antaeus
125551 | Coc:7 | Got an icy rune of Zot
125587 | Coc:7 | Was forgiven by Trog
125606 | Coc:7 | Was forgiven by Jiyva
Your warning level: [CLASSIFIED]

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 13th February 2013, 21:02

Top players excepted, as always. You also.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 14th February 2013, 06:53

I've never tried to scum Trog wrath, and it's never killed me. I simply put off switching till I have 3+ runes, and then carry on; they aren't impossible to tank at that point, and you always have escape options ready by then; why do a long, boring, scummy wait, when you could be having fun messing with Cerberus?

Edit: And just to be clear, I'm a LONG ways from a top player...
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 25th February 2013, 17:55

"Scumming" means taking the top-most layer off a liquid (either the bad stuff or the good stuff). In the context of roguelikes, it's trying to extract the good stuff from a randomly generated dungeon.

I do not understand what this has to do with evading god wrath. It's not "scumming".
It trolls you. Helpless, you fail to dodge its attack! It trolls you.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 25th February 2013, 17:58

http://crawl.develz.org/info/inline.php?q=scumming
In this instance, you're spending 50000 turns doing nothing for the express purpose of eliminating god wrath.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 25th February 2013, 20:37

ebarrett wrote:

Hi.
125115 | Coc:7 | Entered Level 7 of Cocytus
125423 | Coc:7 | Was placed under penance by Jiyva
125424 | Coc:7 | :: WHAT
125497 | Coc:7 | Noticed Antaeus
125549 | Coc:7 | Killed Antaeus
125551 | Coc:7 | Got an icy rune of Zot
125587 | Coc:7 | Was forgiven by Trog
125606 | Coc:7 | Was forgiven by Jiyva

sorry dude but you can't brag about a char in splint mail

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 26th February 2013, 02:05

siggboy wrote:"Scumming" means taking the top-most layer off a liquid (either the bad stuff or the good stuff). In the context of roguelikes, it's trying to extract the good stuff from a randomly generated dungeon.

I do not understand what this has to do with evading god wrath. It's not "scumming".

I think the word you're thinking about is 'skimming'. (Though perhaps there's dialectic variations on this I'm unaware of.) Scumming is etymologically derived from our disdain of the perpetrator.
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 26th February 2013, 08:17

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 28th February 2013, 01:57

BlackSheep wrote:http://crawl.develz.org/info/inline.php?q=scumming
In this instance, you're spending 50000 turns doing nothing for the express purpose of eliminating god wrath.
Well, OK, one may count that as "collecting easy rewards" through (obviously) unchallenging activities. I'd rather call it meta-gaming or just a plain exploit in this case.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 28th February 2013, 03:04

It's called scumming because that's what it's called in roguelikes.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 28th February 2013, 14:46

I fully understand the meaning, also when related to roguelikes. In this particular instance, I'm not convinced that it's appropriate, but I'm ready to accept more sloppiness with regards to the meaning of "scumming" in the future :).

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 28th February 2013, 14:57

Local distortions to language is part of being in a community.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 28th February 2013, 16:34

Nitpicking is part of being me :).

Return to Game Design Discussion