Suggestion: Heavy Armor casting for dwarves

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 28th February 2012, 22:09

Suggestion: Heavy Armor casting for dwarves

Suggestion:
I would like to suggest that the spellcasting penalty for wearing armor be significantly reduced for dwarves. This will probably also necessitate reducing casting aptitudes for dwarves to compensate.

Justification:
Right now there is no niche for a heavy armor caster. I propose that this niche could be filled by dwarves. With the removal of mountain dwarves and the potential addition of forge dwarves I feel that dwarves thematically fit very well into this niche. The problem is that the armor penalties for spellcasting are so significant that wearing anything more than light armor before the middle/end game is not optimal (IMO) because the increase in AC for heavier armor is almost never worth the cost in spell success. Conversely, if the armor penalties are half (or less) of current values, but spell casting is limited (-2 or less spellcasting) you would have a character with a few, high hunger spells, but the ability to cast them reasonably in plate mail.
I feel a good balance is that being able to wear plate mail and reasonably cast level 6-7 spells if pure caster and level 4-5 spells as a hybrid at the entrance of Zot. Of course this should only be possible if you neglect spellcasting/fighting to a certain extent so you would have less hps and higher hunger then a pure melee or caster. What I ideally want is a character that actually has a reason to wear chain or scale mail in the mid-game (hell, or anytime really).

Counterarguments:
The first counterargument that comes to mind is the image of a dwarf slinging iron shots from behind a large shield and CPM. Besides being awesome, this is easily countered by adjusting aptitudes so that is not possible until well into the extended endgame. By that point many races are extremely strong (re: nagas) and you can already win the game, so I don’t want to balance around that.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 28th February 2012, 22:15

Re: Suggestion: Heavy Armor casting for dwarves

I just 15 runed a DDEE who wore plate armour starting from the end of lair, basically. I was using stone arrow and LRD just fine. I got iron shot and haste online before the end of D.

Your proposal is in fact already quite possible and you just have clearly not tried it.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 28th February 2012, 22:24

Indeed I have not tried it. My experience is that of putting on anything heavier than ringmail and watching my success plummet. Generally speaking I spend more time dieing and lurking the forums than having success with unusual combos.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 28th February 2012, 22:25

crate wrote:I just 15 runed a DDEE who wore plate armour starting from the end of lair, basically. I was using stone arrow and LRD just fine. I got iron shot and haste online before the end of D.

Your proposal is in fact already quite possible and you just have clearly not tried it.

Offtopic, but how did you handle hunger and healing?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 28th February 2012, 22:27

Yet Another Stupid Noob wrote:
crate wrote:I just 15 runed a DDEE who wore plate armour starting from the end of lair, basically. I was using stone arrow and LRD just fine. I got iron shot and haste online before the end of D.

Offtopic, but how did you handle hunger and healing?

Makhleb and the fact that there is a ton more food in the game than you need.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 28th February 2012, 22:33

Plenty of races (Hill Orcs, Deep Dwarves, Nagas, Demigods) can already cast plenty in even GDA or crystal plate, and casting in medium (dragon) armours isn't uncommon. I don't think there's much of an issue with how it works currently, it's certainly something those races can get up and running nicely by the mid to late game (and it doesn't really need to be easy to do it much earlier).

Especially if you have a source of wizardry it's not too hard to get up and running - that can help compensate for the initial penalties, and then training armour (much easier to do with the new skill system!) and spell skills higher than you normally would will let you get higher level spells reliable.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 28th February 2012, 22:44

Okdokie, just thought it would be something of a cool niche.

Return to Game Design Discussion