Monster free actions


Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

User avatar

Abyss Ambulator

Posts: 1189

Joined: Friday, 28th January 2011, 21:45

Post Sunday, 26th February 2012, 19:02

Monster free actions

Why are monsters allowed certain actions for free that would take a player one or more turns to perform each? For example, this happened all on one turn in my last game.

The orc warrior unwields an uncursed orcish morningstar.
The orc warrior drops an uncursed orcish morningstar.
The orc warrior picks up an orcish spiked flail.
The orc warrior wields an orcish spiked flail.


Doing the same thing for the player would take about four turns. I've also seen them insta remove and equip new armor too.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.
User avatar

Pandemonium Purger

Posts: 1319

Joined: Monday, 24th October 2011, 06:13

Post Sunday, 26th February 2012, 19:16

Re: Monster free actions

I don't know a lick of knowledge about monster AI, but I imagine if they spent the amount of time players do to do such actions, it would be very easy to slow down dangerous monsters like orc warriors by examining what type of weapon they have and dropping a few good weapons in a line (orc has hand axe, so you drop a morning star and then an evening star on the next square) so that while they unequip, drop, pick up, and equip over and over, you can escape, mana up, and blow the crap out of that monster who, one hundred turns ago, was just two tiles away from you.
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Mines Malingerer

Posts: 46

Joined: Friday, 17th February 2012, 02:03

Post Sunday, 26th February 2012, 19:16

Re: Monster free actions

very good question, id like to catch an orc changing armor and be naked for once instead of vice versa.
User avatar

Abyss Ambulator

Posts: 1189

Joined: Friday, 28th January 2011, 21:45

Post Sunday, 26th February 2012, 19:33

Re: Monster free actions

twelwe wrote:I don't know a lick of knowledge about monster AI, but I imagine if they spent the amount of time players do to do such actions, it would be very easy to slow down dangerous monsters like orc warriors by examining what type of weapon they have and dropping a few good weapons in a line (orc has hand axe, so you drop a morning star and then an evening star on the next square) so that while they unequip, drop, pick up, and equip over and over, you can escape, mana up, and blow the crap out of that monster who, one hundred turns ago, was just two tiles away from you.


Monsters ignore stuff the player drops on the ground while they player is still around (excluding jellies from slurping it). Though if you get away from them and they find the stuff again, then they might pick it up and use it if they can.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.
User avatar

Dungeon Master

Posts: 4031

Joined: Thursday, 16th December 2010, 20:37

Location: France

Post Sunday, 26th February 2012, 20:06

Re: Monster free actions

TwilightPhoenix wrote:Why are monsters allowed certain actions for free that would take a player one or more turns to perform each? For example, this happened all on one turn in my last game.

The orc warrior unwields an uncursed orcish morningstar.
The orc warrior drops an uncursed orcish morningstar.
The orc warrior picks up an orcish spiked flail.
The orc warrior wields an orcish spiked flail.


Doing the same thing for the player would take about four turns. I've also seen them insta remove and equip new armor too.

For monsters, it's a single action. Looking at the code, I'd say for simplicity (else we would need to queue actions for monsters which isn't possible right now), but probably also for gameplay. Stabbing monsters changing equipment would encourage players to lure them over previous battlefields littered with equipement.
Also, note that this sequence of actions take only 2.8 turns for the player (cut that down to 2.5 if you change the order and switch weapons instead of unwield then wield). Wielding a weapon is a very fast action.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...
User avatar

Abyss Ambulator

Posts: 1189

Joined: Friday, 28th January 2011, 21:45

Post Sunday, 26th February 2012, 23:57

Re: Monster free actions

For gameplay worries, they could just not swap gear if it'd take more than a turn or two if the player is nearby (not necessarily in sight), assuming it ever becomes possible to change that. But even though it's only a 1.5 turn difference, that can still mean a lot in certain situations, such as being chased by a fast monster. Theoretically, a Centaur could steadily upgrade his gear multiple without falling (too far) behind a retreating player moving at a normal speed.

Not to mention it's just jarring seeing an enemy slipping out of his chain male and tossing on some plate in that brief amount of time.

Mind, this is a small issue. It really throws me off when an enemy completely rearms himself and puts on new armor, on rare occasions multiple times, while approaching me. Noticed it more than usual in my recent Chei game since I would often wait for them to get into my melee range rather than get pummeled making a slow movement towards them.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.
User avatar

Crypt Cleanser

Posts: 644

Joined: Wednesday, 14th September 2011, 09:36

Location: <---

Post Monday, 27th February 2012, 02:00

Re: Monster free actions

TwilightPhoenix wrote: seeing an enemy slipping out of his chain male and tossing on


WTF are these chain golem doing?!?


Anyway I do find that foe must take and equipe gear. I find it rewarding to kill an hobogoblin that is harder than usual, then find on him an plate mail, or knowing I just slaughter half a band of orcs, but that if I fight the second part now I risk dying, and if I fight it latter, they will all be harder by looting there friends.

Return to Game Design Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.